Author Topic: connecting letters that lead to upper loop letters  (Read 189 times)

Offline Jans

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
connecting letters that lead to upper loop letters
« on: May 01, 2019, 03:36:31 PM »
I am learning engrosser's script but am struggling with the exit stroke of letters leading into upper loop letters. For example, the word, 'the'. The letter t leading into the letter h. Thank you

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
    • Dasherie Magazine
Re: connecting letters that lead to upper loop letters
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2019, 11:29:17 PM »
Hi @Jans
This is a great question. Remember that Engrosser's Script is drawn, not written, and is made up of individual strokes. For the word "the," all of the connector strokes are the same. You do not transition from the t to the upper loop of the h in one stroke.

I am attaching an example to demonstrate where I have left the gaps between the strokes. I hope this is helpful!
Truly, Erica
Lettering/Design Artist, Homeopath, Photographer, Mom, Wife
Dasherie Magazine | Paperwhite Studio | Instagram | Facebook

Offline Jans

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2019, 11:55:33 AM »
Thank you Erica,
Your example is very helpful for identifying my problem. My connecting strokes are lower than your example shows.

Offline cejohnson

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2019, 10:28:30 AM »
I appreciate how Erica includes the key phrase for creating beautiful Engrosser's Script, "... Engrosser's Script is drawn, not written, and is made up of individual strokes."

This is why I enjoy this script so much. It is a meditative process for me. Learning the letter forms, stroke by stroke, and then slowly putting them together and seeing something beautiful is so satisfying. It does take time and practice, but it is so worth the effort

Cat

"The expert at anything was once a beginner." - Helen Hayes