Author Topic: Greetings from Southern California!  (Read 154 times)

Offline HeidiB

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
Greetings from Southern California!
« on: July 25, 2019, 07:58:22 PM »
Newbie here (and calligraphy/art/office supply fanatic)! 😊

My long-term goal is learning Copperplate Script. I am anxiously awaiting the arrival of Eleanor Winters’ book, “Mastering Copperplate Calligraphy: A Step-by-Step Manual”.

I am thrilled to discover Erica’s copperplate tutorials. What a wonderful resource! Thank you, Erica. 🙏

And I sure can use some tips & tricks on how folks organize their cornucopia of calligraphy and art supplies: pen holders, inks, papers, paints, brushes . . . I am also seeking recommendations and suggestions on the tools & supplies they enjoy most.

Meanwhile I am nearing the end of an 8 week online beginning Modern (pointed pen) Calligraphy course.

Thank you for including me!

~HeidiB
PS If there are any Rheumatoid Arthritis Warriors in the group, I would love to learn how you manage that challenge with your calligraphy practice.❤️
« Last Edit: July 29, 2019, 04:43:59 PM by HeidiB »

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
    • Dasherie Magazine
Re: Greetings from Southern California!
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2019, 10:28:01 AM »
hi @HeidiB ,
Sorry for the late response as I just returned from vacation.
I am happy to hear you are enjoying the tutorials. I like to use the pretty decorative boxes you can get at Michaels or Marshalls or HomeGoods to store calligraphy supplies. I have one for inks, one for various supplies, and a bunch for envelopes from exchanges. They look nice and are easy access because I keep them out.

I also have arthritis (and lupus and a bunch of other autoimmune issues) so I am careful about not overusing my hands. I am also a homeopath so I use Ruta Grav, 30c to manage any pain. And cell salts. But time restrictions during a flare are key. Also, I make sure I am using a good set up. I had changed from my old vintage lightbox to a new thin one and forgot after a time why I changed. I went back to it and my aches and pains returned over night. I remembered it had, for some reason, given my muscle spasms and pain. I still don't know why it does that (it's a few inches tall). But returned to the new flat one and no problem. My point is, make sure you are comfortable and if something hurts, stop.  ;)
Truly, Erica
Lettering/Design Artist, Homeopath, Photographer, Mom, Wife
Dasherie Magazine | Paperwhite Studio | Instagram | Facebook

Offline HeidiB

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2019, 11:46:42 AM »
Oh my goodness, dear Erica, I cannot tell you how MUCH your reply means too me! In one “reply” you have not only answered so many of my questions and concerns, but you are the first in the calligraphy-world, well truly anywhere outside of specific support groups, to share your journey with autoimmune disease and I am incredibly grateful! You are truly an inspiration! 💕💕🙏🙏✨✨

I would love to explore your challenge with your light box, as comically/ironically, yet painfully “I” seem to be experiencing almost the same! I will first browse through the forum on that topic in order to prevent you from typing anything that you haven’t  already posted previously.

Thank you, thank you so very much for your thoughtful response and taking the time to reach out to me. I look forward to learning as much as possible and offering support in any way I can.

Warmly,

HeidiB

Offline Bianca M

• Super Hero Member
  • Tempus Fugit
    • View Profile
    • Bianca Mascorro Calligraphy & Art
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2019, 05:59:35 PM »
Welcome to the forum, Heidi!  If you haven't already, search the forum threads for "arthritis" - some helpful advice comes up.  I am taking advantage of it myself, since it has just recently become a problem for me.  ;)  I'll definitely be looking into Erica's suggestion for pain!

Obviously, there are much more fun threads to read on the forum in terms of supplies, organization, etc. ;) Enjoy!

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
    • Dasherie Magazine
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2019, 08:39:51 PM »
I’m happy I could offer some insight.  ;D There are a few threads with the lightbox info and I think I even shared a photo of my old one.

@Bianca M So sorry to hear you are starting to get arthritis as well.  :'(
Truly, Erica
Lettering/Design Artist, Homeopath, Photographer, Mom, Wife
Dasherie Magazine | Paperwhite Studio | Instagram | Facebook

Offline KacyBG

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2019, 12:02:54 AM »
Heidi, welcome! I hope you enjoy the forum--I've been practicing pointed pen calligraphy for eight months now and love checking out old posts.
I have some nerve damage in my fingers from years ago, but no arthritis yet. Keep going! May practice help your fingers remain limber while you have fun.