Author Topic: Bleedproof White Crystalized  (Read 68 times)

Offline Bianca M

• Super Hero Member
  • Tempus Fugit
    • View Profile
    • Bianca Mascorro Calligraphy & Art
Bleedproof White Crystalized
« on: December 29, 2019, 03:53:23 PM »
I have had past bottles of Dr. Ph Martin's Bleedproof White form crystals toward the opening of the bottle before, but never anything this drastic and so quickly formed - it has not been very long since I last opened this bottle.  The ink underneath is still viscous, so the bottle has not dried out, but obviously interaction with air has somehow caused these crystals to form.  Has anyone else had this happen? 

I was thinking of adding in a little bit of distilled water and mixing it up, hoping the crystals would dissolve, but I'm probably better off opening a new bottle.  Regardless, I am curious if anyone else has experienced this.

Also, you might notice a touch of green around the rim.  I suspect mold, even though it isn't a very "moldy" color.

edit: I am realizing now that, despite my efforts to use clean tools, it might have been contaminated by whatever tool I used to scoop out the ink - not just air.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2019, 04:05:05 PM by Bianca M »

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
    • Dasherie Magazine
Re: Bleedproof White Crystalized
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2019, 09:59:46 AM »
Wow - that is pretty drastic. I have had that happen to the rim - it crystalizes around the rim where the cover goes on. But not in the jar. I am really careless with the water I use, too (just tap water), but I never double dip into the actual bottle. I always transfer to a dinky dip and then mix in there for that reason.

That's a bummer and such a waste.  :-\
Truly, Erica
Lettering/Design Artist, Homeopath, Photographer, Mom, Wife
Dasherie Magazine | Paperwhite Studio | Instagram | Facebook

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2019, 11:14:39 AM »
@Bianca M
For the first couple of years using ink, I would dilute it when needed with distilled water, but over time, the ink would become moldy, and I ended up throwing a lot of ink away. Then I switched to tap water, which here in Atlanta, is chlorinated. Result--no more mold. I've had a bottle of Dr. Martin's Bleedproof white ink for at least 4-5 years, dip my pens right into it, and have had no mold problem at all. Maybe try tap water?

Offline Bianca M

• Super Hero Member
  • Tempus Fugit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2020, 01:52:28 PM »
@Erica McPhee @AnasaziWrites Thanks for your sharing your experiences with this!  I actually don't use BPW in the jar - I scoop it out and into a dinky dip, like you do, Erica.  Maybe I just had a dirty scooping tool and didn't realize it, so this happened.  Bummer!

Oddly, now that I'm thinking about it, I have never had mold or crystals grow in the dinky dip when it's diluted, and I've used both tap and distilled water.  At least I have that going for me! ;)

Offline ChristenAllocco

• View Profile
    • Allocco Design and Crafts
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2020, 02:32:49 PM »
@Bianca M you are not alone! I was actually talking with a friend about this pretty recently. I don't necessarily have advice, but know that it's not just you! Haha. I've had mostly crystallization near the lid as Erica mentioned.

Did you try reconstituting with water? Curious as to whether that fixed the issue.
Christen
Instagram

Offline Bianca M

• Super Hero Member
  • Tempus Fugit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2020, 05:44:56 PM »
@ChristenAllocco What a coincidence!  This is the first time I've had this happen deeper inside the bottle and to such an extent - sounds like it happening in the lid zone is not too unusual. 

I actually did add a bit of water and the crystals seem to have dissolved.  I am concerned about the top having what might be mold, so I'm not going to be adding it to my gouache (I like to use BPW when I mix custom inks in lieu of white gouache) but I think it might be ok to use on its own.  Time will tell! :)