Author Topic: Neck Pain  (Read 71 times)

Offline Mike Schoeningh

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
Neck Pain
« on: October 11, 2019, 11:07:58 AM »
Hi everyone,

I have been writing daily for several months with both forearms on the table without any neck pain. Now that I'm trying to flourish more with big strokes, when I lift my forearm on my dominate hand while writing, within about 20 minutes, I have severe neck pain. Has anyone else experienced this and does anyone have any suggestions on how to avoid neck pain when flourishing? I looked at other threads regarding posture and I didn't find anything helpful.

Thanks,

Mike

Offline K-2

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
Re: Neck Pain
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2019, 12:21:43 PM »
@Mike Schoeningh - it sounds like maybe you're lifting your arm from your shoulder.  Instead of shrugging your shoulder up to get your arm off the table, try keeping it down, while lifting up your elbow (think of lifting your elbow up and out to the side).  That will free up a wider range of motion for you too.  It could also be that flourishing with your whole arm is more physically demanding than you might expect, and you're still building the muscles to do it.
--best, K

Offline Bianca M

• Super Hero Member
  • Tempus Fugit
    • View Profile
    • Bianca Mascorro Calligraphy & Art
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2019, 03:40:50 PM »
That was my thought as well.  Also, if your range of motion is impeded and you're finding you need to lift too much, you may need to raise your seat a touch so you're further from the table.

Offline Mike Schoeningh

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2019, 10:07:21 PM »
Thanks k2 and Bianca. That was the problem , elbow out and chair a little higher and the pain went away. :)

Offline Bianca M

• Super Hero Member
  • Tempus Fugit
    • View Profile
    • Bianca Mascorro Calligraphy & Art
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2019, 08:45:22 PM »
That's wonderful news!!