Author Topic: An interesting curiosity!  (Read 207 times)

Offline KristinT

• View Profile
An interesting curiosity!
« on: October 20, 2019, 03:22:16 AM »
I was doing some light research and came across something I don't think I've seen before: finger pens!

Advertised in 1888, apparently.  Not sure the image indicates an option for attaching an ink cartridge, which is mentioned as an option.  What fun!

I only did a quick search here on the forum, so apologies if this is a repeat.

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
    • Dasherie Magazine
Re: An interesting curiosity!
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2019, 12:25:30 PM »
That is so cool! Wish there was something like this now! I did have a pen that fits onto your finger. I got it for my daughter who had difficulty holding a pen but she didn't like it.  :)
Truly, Erica
Lettering/Design Artist, Homeopath, Photographer, Mom, Wife
Dasherie Magazine | Paperwhite Studio | Instagram | Facebook

Offline AAAndrew

• View Profile
    • The Steel Pen Blog
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2019, 09:42:56 AM »
Fun! There were so many wacky things invented around writing. The 19th-century was definitely a time of innovation.

I'm not sure how well this might work. You'd have to really be used to "finger-forward" position, and since your finger is not as rigid as a holder, I suspect it would get fairly sore after a bit. Your muscles would have to serve to keep the finger supported.

I've not seen one of these before, but I suspect, at least for the pen one, most people would not recognize it for what it was.

Thanks for sharing!
Check out my steel pen history blog
https://thesteelpen.com/

Offline gracefulgiftedhands

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2019, 03:56:23 PM »
WOW. That's so crazy to even imagine using my index finger as a pen itself.. I wonder if anyone on this forum has one of these in real life in their personal collection? It'll be so cool to see! :o

Offline KristinT

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2019, 10:25:15 PM »

I'm not sure how well this might work. You'd have to really be used to "finger-forward" position, and since your finger is not as rigid as a holder, I suspect it would get fairly sore after a bit. Your muscles would have to serve to keep the finger supported.

Thanks for sharing!

I quite agree, I can't imagine it would be comfortable for long passages.  Maybe just for quick notes, or occasionally needing to pen a signature?

WOW. That's so crazy to even imagine using my index finger as a pen itself.. I wonder if anyone on this forum has one of these in real life in their personal collection? It'll be so cool to see! :o

It would be neat to see!  If anyone really wanted to try it, I bet a banjo fingerpick could be adapted with not too much trouble.  Maybe a piece of brass, some glue, and wire to hold the nib?

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2019, 12:12:45 AM »
@KristinT YEAH! That's true, it wouldn't be too hard to make a prototype. Haha, I wish we could read review on it from people of the past. Wouldn't that be nice?

Offline jrvalverde

• Freshman Member
  • Crazy old person
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2019, 09:02:41 AM »
It doesn't look complex or difficult, but the sheer ingenuity of it...! Wow!

Anyway, I guess it will require developing totally new writing skills. But it certainly is a striking idea.

Offline lizt2

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2019, 11:39:19 PM »
I've never seen this before, but I have seen Connie Chen use a nib to write or draw with and it wasn't in a holder.  It was in one of her IG posts.

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2019, 10:13:29 AM »
True, I think she put a nib in a cork before! @lizt2

Offline lizt2

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2019, 11:21:45 PM »
It could be that's what I saw but didn't realize she had the nib in a cork - I don't know.  That's interesting, too.  A cork would be fatter than most holders so it might be kind of like using an ergonomic holder.