Author Topic: Eberhard Faber metal powders?  (Read 45 times)

Offline Karl H

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
Eberhard Faber metal powders?
« on: October 20, 2019, 09:22:13 PM »
Hey Forum Folke!

My wife (a stained-glass & hot-glass artisan) gave me two small (6 gram) bottles of some really pretty stuff: Ebarhard Faber "Metallic Farb Pulver"; it's basically powdered metal.  One is an interesting metallic rich bordeaux color, and the other is a brilliant sapphire blue.  All of the instructions and information are in German, of course, and equally of course, I can't read German (I can barely read English :D )

I'm curious if anyone has experimented with this stuff as an additive to ink or as an ink in itself, with water and gum arabic, maybe?  The colors are to die for, similar to Finetec/Coliro, but more intense (at least as a powder in a jar, they are....)

I think its intended use is in Fimo and other polymer clays, and in glass fusing and other glass kiln work.  I'd love to hear ideas on what to do with this stuff; it's just too gorgeous to toss!

Offline K-2

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
Re: Eberhard Faber metal powders?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2019, 11:56:22 PM »
@Karl H - Make sure you wear a dust mask when you use that stuff.  Because they are actually powdered metal, the particulates are dangerous to breathe in.  Provided you use a dust mask, you can use them like mica pigments (which is what those Finetec's are made of).  You can mix them with ink or with water and binder, and apply them with a nib or a brush.  They are the non-precious metal versions of shell gold, which you can burnish!  I don't know if you can burnish these - it would depend on what kind of metal they are and how soft they are.

You can also dust/sprinkle them onto wet media for some beautiful, abstract effects (the Saint John's Bible uses this technique for some of its illuminations).  But seriously, please wear respiratory protection if you do that.

Offline Estefa

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Federflug
Re: Eberhard Faber metal powders?
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2019, 05:51:27 AM »
@Karl H. Sounds fun! I can browse the instructions, and give you a quick info about the content, if you post a picture Im German ;).
Stefanie :: Website :: Blog :: Instagram