Author Topic: The letters and drawings of Edson  (Read 66 times)

Offline AAAndrew

• View Profile
    • The Steel Pen Blog
The letters and drawings of Edson
« on: November 09, 2019, 08:34:57 PM »
I was contacted through my website by a women who has a set of letters and drawings from her great-great-grandfather. She sent me one example but it was of such poor quality I could barely tell there was any writing on it. It was the lyrics to a song, but one thing I could tell was that the paper was framed in some very nice flourishing.

She's currently in a dispute with her family who doesn't want any of the letters shown to anyone. She would like to have them preserved and appreciated. Meanwhile she did share a clearer image of one of his drawings because that one is hers outright so she can do whatever she wants with it.

As far as we can tell, it was her ancestor, Ed, asking out her someday great-great-grandmother to go for a ride. So, basically it's a note asking for a date.

Here's what we've been able to decipher.
Big Leaf: "If Providence permits and the [something] ad[something] would you like to h[something]e (have? hire?) [something]dation(?) of our former ride on Saturday? - Ed.
Second leaf: I desire(?) your consent only  when it's pleasant for you to go.

I thought some of you might appreciate this. It's probably from 1880's. (they married 1888).  It promises some really nice things from the other drawings, and if we can ever get a view of his writing.

If I'm able to get more, I'll share it here.

Andrew
Check out my steel pen history blog
https://thesteelpen.com/

Offline AAAndrew

• View Profile
    • The Steel Pen Blog
Re: The letters and drawings of Edson
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2019, 08:38:11 PM »
BTW, as far as my correspondent knows, he ran a grocery store in Cleveland all of his life. He would draw and write these in his free time.

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2019, 11:53:23 AM »
Here's what we've been able to decipher.
Big Leaf: "If Providence permits and the [something] ad[something] would you like to h[something]e (have? hire?) [something]dation(?) of our former ride on Saturday? - Ed.
Andrew
@AAAndrew
Wonderful. Would love to see more as you get them. What is the size of this card?

I read it as "If Providence permits and the weather admits, would you like to have a second edition of our former ride on Sunday?"

Offline AAAndrew

• View Profile
    • The Steel Pen Blog
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2019, 10:54:16 AM »
I'm not sure. The owner is away from home and this was just one she had on her phone. I'm hoping to get more pictures and more information.

I've told her about this forum and that there are plenty of people here who would truly appreciate these. I have hopes to see more, and if I do, I will share them.

I think you've got the wording right. I'll pass that on. I thought that second line was some admits, but wasn't sure. And I was stumped by the "...tion" on that "second edition." 

I think he had some talent as an illustrator.

Thanks again for helping with the interpretation. I'll let you know if I get anything else.