Author Topic: Hello from Pennsylvania  (Read 3499 times)

Offline Tanvir Ahmed

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
Hello from Pennsylvania
« on: February 07, 2016, 11:39:34 AM »
Hi Everyone.

Thank you for approving registration request.  I joined this group after searching for tools and techniques for Engrosser's Script.  Very talented group of people. Hope to learn from you and share with you.

Tanvir

Offline handmadeletters

• Janice Reyes
    • View Profile
    • Handmade Letters
Re: Hello from Pennsylvania
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2016, 12:56:22 PM »
Welcome Tanvir!

Where in PA are you? I'm originally from Pittsburgh, family still lives there.

If you're on the east side, I hear the Philadelphia Calligraphers Guild is wonderful.

Enjoy yourself and happy writing,
Janice

Offline evjo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2016, 01:12:40 PM »
Ooh, Pennsylvania!  Home of the very yummy Zaner-Bloser Penmanship collection.  It's at the University of Scranton. 

Check out their website:
http://digitalservices.scranton.edu/cdm/search/collection/zanerbloser/field/locati/searchterm/Pennsylvania%20Anthracite%20Heritage%20Museum%20(Scranton,%20Pa.)/mode/exact

Ev

Offline Tanvir Ahmed

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2016, 05:54:31 PM »
Welcome Tanvir!

Where in PA are you? I'm originally from Pittsburgh, family still lives there.

If you're on the east side, I hear the Philadelphia Calligraphers Guild is wonderful.

Enjoy yourself and happy writing,
Janice

What a coincident.  I am in Pittsburgh, PA, living near airport in Robinson Township.  Just getting into Engrosser's Script.

I went to to your site and you have very beautiful work.  I can just hope to get to that kind of level someday.

Where about you are from Pittsburgh?

Offline Tanvir Ahmed

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2016, 07:01:43 PM »
Ooh, Pennsylvania!  Home of the very yummy Zaner-Bloser Penmanship collection.  It's at the University of Scranton. 

Check out their website:
http://digitalservices.scranton.edu/cdm/search/collection/zanerbloser/field/locati/searchterm/Pennsylvania%20Anthracite%20Heritage%20Museum%20(Scranton,%20Pa.)/mode/exact

Thank you for the for the welcome and the link to Scranton archives. Happy calligraphy.

Offline prasad

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2016, 11:18:50 PM »
Hi Tanvir,
Welcome to the forum.  This is the perfect place to learn and improve with the amazing people and the great advice you will get on here.

Are you originally from India? :)  Very few of us on here from India, so I lay claim to anyone even remotely connected to India  ;D ;D

Happy writing
-Prasad
Never be afraid to try something new
Remember - An amateur built the Ark and Professionals built the Titanic
My Instagram

Offline Tanvir Ahmed

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2016, 04:54:09 AM »
Hi Tanvir,
Welcome to the forum.  This is the perfect place to learn and improve with the amazing people and the great advice you will get on here.

Are you originally from India? :)  Very few of us on here from India, so I lay claim to anyone even remotely connected to India  ;D ;D

Happy writing
-Prasad

Parsad, thank you for the warm welcome.  I am from Pakistan.  Not exactly from India but basically the same region.  I lived in Lahore before moving to USA which is about 20 miles from the border.  My grand parents were originally from Hoshiarpur, India.  Thanks again.

Offline kathleenprumo

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
    • Sincerely Designed
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2016, 04:53:29 PM »
Tanvir, I am located in Pittsburgh (South Side neighborhood)! We have a calligraphy guild with a pointed pen study group that meets regularly. It's only $25 to join for the year :) Come play with us if you can!

Offline prasad

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2016, 12:25:00 AM »

Parsad, thank you for the warm welcome.  I am from Pakistan.  Not exactly from India but basically the same region.  I lived in Lahore before moving to USA which is about 20 miles from the border.  My grand parents were originally from Hoshiarpur, India.  Thanks again.

Pakistan -India ....  all the same for me.  You are from my part of the world  ;D ;D ;D
Good to have you here. 
Happy writing
-Prasad
Never be afraid to try something new
Remember - An amateur built the Ark and Professionals built the Titanic
My Instagram

Offline StudioApricity

• Hello :)
    • View Profile
    • Studio Apricity
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2016, 09:49:09 AM »
Welcome to the forum Tanvir!

Great to have you!
-Dyan
[♥] Dyan

Instagram

Offline handmadeletters

• Janice Reyes
    • View Profile
    • Handmade Letters
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2016, 09:52:08 AM »
What a coincident.  I am in Pittsburgh, PA, living near airport in Robinson Township.  Just getting into Engrosser's Script.

I went to to your site and you have very beautiful work.  I can just hope to get to that kind of level someday.

Where about you are from Pittsburgh?

Ahh, good old Robinson Township! I love the Ikea there. I grew up in the South Hills (Upper St. Clair), and lived around North Oakland and Squirrel Hill for a while in my 20s. I have a special place in my heart for Pittsburgh, even though I don't live there anymore.

Thanks for your kind comments! Looking forward to seeing your Engrosser's on here. Definitely sign up for exchanges. :)

Take care, and keep practicing!
Janice

Offline Tanvir Ahmed

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2016, 12:08:03 AM »

Thanks for your kind comments! Looking forward to seeing your Engrosser's on here. Definitely sign up for exchanges. :)

Take care, and keep practicing!
Janice

Janice:

I will post something soon as soon as I get something presentable.  I have been practicing only eight(ish) weeks.

As far as the exchanges, I was thinking about signing up but the quality of exchanges in the photos of past exchanges is quite high.  I want to be at a level that I can make the exchange somewhat worthwhile for the other person. 

Thank you for the encouragement and suggestion.
Tanvir

Offline anam_t

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2016, 12:18:29 PM »

Pakistan -India ....  all the same for me.  You are from my part of the world  ;D ;D ;D
Good to have you here. 
Happy writing
-Prasad

Same here! I'm from Pakistan too, but live in Dubai! :)

Welcome to the forum, Tanvir! Your search brought you to the right place! A lot of things to learn here and take in, but be patient and take your time and you'll not be disappointed. I'm learning Engrosser's too, and it's a fantastic script (and so are the rest!)

All the best,
Anam

Offline AAAndrew

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • The Steel Pen Blog
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2016, 03:03:16 PM »
Welcome!  I live in North Carolina but have ties to "Da Burgh."

My wife grew up in Baldwin/Whitehall area and I met her when I was getting my Master's at Univ. of Pittsburgh. We were married in Heinz Chapel and my wife has gone back every year to teach at a Point Park summer program. She used to stay with her father until he passed away about four years ago. Now she stays in the dorms downtown (or should I say, "dantan"). Still love the Burgh and the people there.

Glad you're here, and there are plenty of good people here as well.
Check out my steel pen history blog
https://thesteelpen.com/

Offline Tanvir Ahmed

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2016, 08:36:16 PM »

Same here! I'm from Pakistan too, but live in Dubai! :)

Welcome to the forum, Tanvir! Your search brought you to the right place! A lot of things to learn here and take in, but be patient and take your time and you'll not be disappointed. I'm learning Engrosser's too, and it's a fantastic script (and so are the rest!)

All the best,
Anam

Dubai looks beautiful.  I should have availed the opportunity when my company wanted me to send there.  You have a nice blog, good progress on copperplate and a beautiful pen/nib holder.  I don't think Brian is taking orders any more.  Not from his Etsy shop at least.

Thank you.
Tanvir