Author Topic: Letters variations  (Read 410 times)

Offline Despoina

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
Letters variations
« on: September 22, 2023, 06:01:39 PM »
Hello everyone! I am seeing here or on posts on IG, different letter variations in some scripts. I was wondering how do you all keep track on the different variations? You write it down in a specific paper? How do you know when it is "appropriate" to use a variation instead of the "original" script letter?
And last, any favorite variations? I loveee seeing some of the "F" and "f", I find it so delicate
Thank you in advance!

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
Re: Letters variations
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2023, 08:43:36 PM »
OOOoooo - this is such a great question! One of my favorite things to do is play with creating variations. I am hard at work on a book about flourishing and a large section will be variations of both capitals and lowercase for each letter.

Sadly, I did not develop a system to track all the variations I have seen over the years. They are scattered about in my studio on various scraps and pieces of paper! But I am working on something to remedy this that I will share at a later date.

In terms of knowing when it is appropriate to use a variation - let your piece be your guide. If you are doing something that you want to be strictly a historic Engrosser’s Script, then I would not use variations. But there are no calligraphy police and honestly, you can use a variation whenever you want. I would just advise not to get carried away in terms of flourishing as you want it to add decorative embellishments but not distract from the overall piece.

I was just playing on ProCreate so did some variations of F for you. Keep in mind, these are digital calligraphy so may not translate well to pointed pen. But they should give you some ideas in terms of how to vary your letter forms. PLAY! See what works and what doesn’t.  :)
« Last Edit: September 22, 2023, 08:50:06 PM by Erica McPhee »
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Despoina

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2023, 06:56:55 PM »
OOOoooo - this is such a great question! One of my favorite things to do is play with creating variations. I am hard at work on a book about flourishing and a large section will be variations of both capitals and lowercase for each letter.

Sadly, I did not develop a system to track all the variations I have seen over the years. They are scattered about in my studio on various scraps and pieces of paper! But I am working on something to remedy this that I will share at a later date.

In terms of knowing when it is appropriate to use a variation - let your piece be your guide. If you are doing something that you want to be strictly a historic Engrosser’s Script, then I would not use variations. But there are no calligraphy police and honestly, you can use a variation whenever you want. I would just advise not to get carried away in terms of flourishing as you want it to add decorative embellishments but not distract from the overall piece.

I was just playing on ProCreate so did some variations of F for you. Keep in mind, these are digital calligraphy so may not translate well to pointed pen. But they should give you some ideas in terms of how to vary your letter forms. PLAY! See what works and what doesn’t.  :)

Omggg these are totally amazing Erica, thank you so much! I will definitely give them a go with the pointed pen, will let you know how it went!  :-*

I understand now a bit more about the use of variations, thank you! It totally depends on the piece

May I ask when you are going to publish your book? Roughly? I am just asking, to have that in mind, 'cause I am very interested in that :-*

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2023, 11:44:25 AM »
Thank you for asking! I was hoping to go to print before the end of the year but I got a little sidetracked with another project (stay tuned for more info). But I am hoping it will be available by early next year.  :-*
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Lori M

• Calligraphy will prevail!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2023, 06:38:53 PM »
That's so exciting to hear, Erica! You have one purchaser for sure! ;D

Offline Erica McPhee