Author Topic: Succession of m’s and n’s and of u’s  (Read 909 times)

Offline Vintage_BE

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
Re: Succession of m’s and n’s and of u’s
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2024, 12:10:26 PM »
@BrightStar I am writing with a Zebra G nib but I have a bit of trouble with the ink (from walnut crystals, with a bit of gum Arabic). You are right, the hairlines should be quite a bit finer; I do manage to produce fine(r) hairlines when I write with white gouache ink on watercolor paper.

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2024, 12:53:06 PM »
Regarding the spacing between letters like e to m, n - transforming the upstroke into a left curve - again, you have astutely observed the connector stroke and the spacing issue.

Short curves happen frequently as the connecting strokes between the principle strokes or elements. (These form the upper and lower turns.) Sull states that these turn ratios are too minute to perceive (measure) accurately with the eye and there is a tendency for students to make the turns too broad or by a given measure. He says the aim should be to make them as short as possible with a continuous motion of the pen without cramping the letters (which you have keenly become aware of).

The difference between the e connecting and i connecting is that the loop of the e intrudes into the space between the next letter. Thus there should be an ever so slightly wider curve at the bottom to the next letter. In the example below, you can see Barnes’s spacing difference between the i and e is minuscule and barely perceptible to the naked eye except when analyzed as I’ve done here.

Note in the word gentleman - Barnes was consistent in the spacing for the second two e to m connections, but much wider in the first. Unless you are doing a strict analysis of this, it is barely perceptible to the eye. The joining of letters reflects the speed at which you are writing. The distance will vary between 1 to 1.5 letter widths.

By the way, your spacing is incredibly consistent. Bravo! The spacing is virtually identical which makes it seem a bit too narrow after the e (because of the loop). So you can work on just increasing that space ever so slightly.

It’s so helpful to analyze work like this so thank you for sharing. I know I will be more cognizant of this spacing in my own work going forward.  ;)
« Last Edit: February 25, 2024, 12:59:53 PM by Erica McPhee »
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2024, 12:59:07 PM »
P.S. Note that even with the slightly wider curve at the bottom, he still ends the stroke at the top with the same distance in both i and e. This makes the spacing consistent. It is just the bottom curve of that connecting stroke that is ever so slightly wider in the exemplar. But in the word gentleman, the space itself between the letters is wider in the first e to n connection.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2024, 01:02:14 PM by Erica McPhee »
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2024, 01:04:03 PM »
I found mixing my own walnut crystals didn’t work for me. I could not get any hairlines. But Norton’s walnut ink works just as well as an iron gall in achieving beautiful hairlines without corroding your nib as much.
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline BrightStar

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2024, 11:05:40 AM »
I've not had any problems mixing Walnut ink crystals from PIA, even when making it super-concentrated. Perhaps one batch of crystals differs from another?

But due to the acidity, I too prefer Norton's as it's very mild and doesn't eat my nibs. I just buy the Darkening Medium alone and add water to lighten as needed. I do prefer it really dark though. Either way the hairlines are excellent.

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2024, 01:57:52 PM »
That is good to know @BrightStar - I should try it again. I have a giant bag of it just going to waste.
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Vintage_BE

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2024, 10:15:08 AM »
I made another jar of walnut ink with the crystals and now am able to put down finer lines. 
So off to work, writing words with m/n/e combinations.

Offline Despoina

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2024, 11:13:19 AM »
Oh wow, such a great analysis so far. Never really got in that much detail for spacing, not for spencerian that I am studying on my own, but not for copperplate either, that I took classes. Such a little diamond thread, for consistency purposes 😍 As a third person, that doesn't have anything to offer, I just wanted to add that sometimes, eyes are the best "compass" for spacing. An even spacing throughout, even if it's a bit "off", is sometimes better than an uneven one, even if part of it follows all the rules

Offline Zivio

• Foment Compassion, Practice Peace
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2024, 11:02:57 PM »
@Vintage_BE, you had me at:

... hellishly difficult ...

This is my experience, especially since I'm an intransigent "arm writer."  But then, everything about learning this art has been extremely challenging for me.
Foment Compassion, Practice Peace

Offline Vintage_BE

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2024, 04:57:43 PM »
@Zivio onwards, only practice will set us free.

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2024, 01:16:12 PM »
Fabulous! That looks great @Vintage_BE !
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram