Author Topic: Hi everyone, love from India  (Read 1252 times)

Offline apoorva

• View Profile
Hi everyone, love from India
« on: April 08, 2018, 02:44:16 PM »
Hi everyone,
I hope you all are doing well. I am truly thankful and excited to have found this place.
I have to admit, I am a real beginner.  And there is hardly anything/anyone available at my disposal helping me out with my doubts and queries, so you can imagine my excitement having found this place.

One of my biggest problems at the moment is supplies. I have been trying to hunt decent copperplate nibs for the last two months, upto no luck. Apart from that I really love the control and joy I get every time I indulge in some calligraphy.
My dad and I used to goof around during my summer vacations. Aah! Those were the days!

Anyway Looking forward to learning new things!
Apoorva

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
Re: Hi everyone, love from India
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2018, 11:14:22 PM »
Hi @apoorva

Sorry for the late welcome! I hope you have been finding your way around here and were able to find some nibs. We have a few members from India so they may have some suggestions as to where to find supplies ( @ash0kgiri @prasad )

Again, welcome!  ;D
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline prasad

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2018, 11:30:07 PM »
Hi @apoorva

Sorry for the late welcome! I hope you have been finding your way around here and were able to find some nibs. We have a few members from India so they may have some suggestions as to where to find supplies ( @ash0kgiri @prasad )

Again, welcome!  ;D

Will do @Erica McPhee .  Have not been active here for a while,  so please if there are any such queries, please please do that @ thing.  I get a notification and will reply a 100% to it  ;D
« Last Edit: May 11, 2018, 12:06:04 AM by prasad »
Never be afraid to try something new
Remember - An amateur built the Ark and Professionals built the Titanic
My Instagram

Offline prasad

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2018, 12:05:11 AM »
Hi everyone,
One of my biggest problems at the moment is supplies. I have been trying to hunt decent copperplate nibs for the last two months, upto no luck.
Anyway Looking forward to learning new things!
Apoorva

Hi Apoorva,
Big Welcome to the Forum.  Wonderful to see so many Indians on here.  :)
Where are you based?  Getting supplies in India is always a chore.  Very few places have nibs, no places have stuff like Walnut ink.  You can get paper here though.

As far as Nibs are concerned there are only 2 options for decently priced nibs.  Ebay and this website http://creativehands.in/william-mitchell-calligraphy-drawing-loose-nibs-pack-of-2-open-stock.html
But he is mostly out of stock.  If you are comfortable with Gillott nibs then just write to them and ask them to get a bunch for you. They are priced very well.  Most other sources in India charge a kidney for a nib  :)

The other option is Ebay.  For G nibs like Zebra, Ebay.com is a good option and quite decently priced.  Getting it imported to India is not an issue as it's a small pack and does not attract custom duty. 
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313.TR4.TRC2.A0.H0.Xzebra+G+nib.TRS0&_nkw=zebra+G+nib&_sacat=0

There is one source in Mumbai that gets Leonard Principal EF nibs.  Give me a day or so to find out the details and revert.

There are a few sellers on Ebay that still offer good rates for not so known nibs (European nibs, beautiful little creatures  :)).  Contact me on personal message and I will link you up there.

For ink, You can try the Pelikan 4001 ink, which I found works quite well.  You can also try the Camlin Photo Colours, which are a transparent ink and works well with the dip nibs
http://www.himalayafineart.com/Product/55/Camel+Transparent+Photocolours.aspx

If you want some walnut ink,  send me your address and I will send you crystals.  You will have to wait a while for Iron Gall ink, should you want some.  I have to brew a fresh batch.  :)

For paper,  I got a bunch of Excel Pro DIgio 100gsm, which was beautiful.  Can't find it online now.  Perhaps the stationary shops around your place may still have stock of it.  Make sure it has the "Digio" printed on it.  I think @ash0kgiri uses JK Excel Bond.  Not sure.  just ask him and he will confirm it.  Another good writing pad I found works really well is this one.  Make sure you only get the A4 size.  the paper in the other sizes don't take ink so well.  IT has a 4mm grid printed on it and is lovely for practice.
https://nightingaleshop.com/top-open-writing-pad-design-a     

How are you placed for holders? Are you using a straight or oblique?  Unfortunately, I gave away my last Yoke Deuce holder a couple of weeks back.  Will be getting a fresh stock only in September.  Again, I'll send you a few links on where you can get reasonably priced holders , should you want a brass flange oblique. 

This should do for the time being,  Send me a message and we can take it from there. 
Please feel free to contact me directly for any queries or information you require,  An Email or direct message is easier as I get a notification for it and can respond immediately.

Happy writing
Prasad
Never be afraid to try something new
Remember - An amateur built the Ark and Professionals built the Titanic
My Instagram

ash0kgiri

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2018, 10:48:18 AM »
Hi Apoorva,

Warm welcome and as prasad said good to see another Indian on this forum.
Since @prasad have shared all possible ways you could get your supplies from.
And he's the one who till now provides me with lots of stuffs. Especially Inks. :D :D
But still feel free to ask. Happy to help as always.

Keep writing :D
-Ashok

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2018, 10:55:22 AM »
Thanks so much @prasad and @ash0kgiri  Prasad and Ashok! I knew we could count on you.  :D
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram