Author Topic: Day 14 - Castle  (Read 418 times)

Offline Lucie Y

• View Profile
Day 14 - Castle
« on: October 14, 2023, 05:52:57 PM »
So, tomorrow's the first workshop I give! I made some more experiments tonight with foundational hand and then went back to my "normal" calligraphy. I needed quality time with my nibs again. So I worked on a project for a friend who is a rheumatologist and particularly loves art that revolves around the hand.
(the text reads "the hand is the instrument of instruments", in French).

Here is some of my work tonight. It's my first layout attempt. And the first time I try to match texts of different size and color.

I am breaking away from the prompt list but aim at posting faithfully every day for the rest of Inktober!

See you around :)

And good luck with your day @K2!

« Last Edit: October 14, 2023, 06:25:45 PM by Lucie Y »
Oh crępe!

Offline Mark T

• No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot.
    • View Profile
Re: Day 14 - Castle
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2023, 06:13:24 PM »
How did your workshop go, Lucie?
Laughter is definitely the best medicine, but Wolves destroying WBA runs laughter close, and the Yankees winning the World Series is ................ laughter is the best medicine, remember?

Offline tiffany.c.a

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2023, 07:17:29 PM »
Lucie Y, wonderful letters, spacing, composition.

Offline tiffany.c.a

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2023, 07:18:32 PM »
Days 8-14
Very busy last week, soooo, I didn’t start week 2 until Friday evening. Still had fun with it.

Day 8-Toad
I hesitated to draw this animal. I found a video of a man drawing an outline of a frog so I drew along with the video. Fineliner, colored pencil.

Day 9 - Bounce
Frog leaping, close enough to “bounce”. (I googled the difference between frogs and toads - toads have rougher skin and crawl moreso than jump.) Fineliner, colored pencil.

Day 10 - Fortune
I focused on just the first letter. (As mentioned in another post, @K-2 inspired me.) I worked from an image found via google. I filled in only part of the black background, just to get an idea of how that would work. (I chose that area to fill in because it covered a mistake with the vine.) Fineliner, gouache.

Day 11 - Wander
Was looking through the digital Ames Notebook and came across a “W” I liked. And then a couple more. Drawing letters really exercises my observation skills. Fineliner.

Day 12 - Spicy
Drawn from still life. Fineliner, colored pencil.

Day 13 - Rise
Drawn letters inspired by the Ames Notebook Abraham Lincoln page, from the word “president.” Pointed pen/gouache, fineliner, colored pencil.

Day 14 - Castle
Central Park’s Belvedere Castle - When I sketched this castle on location, I didn’t get much done because I started over-focusing on the details. I know I don’t need all the details but I get sucked in somehow. This time, drawing from a photo taken that day, I tried again with the aim of getting the bulk of the castle down as a loose sketch, and only indicate some details. This was a step forward for me. Also, really tried to make the flourishes cross at right angles. Fineliner, words with pointed pen/gouache.

« Last Edit: October 16, 2023, 06:42:02 AM by tiffany.c.a »

Offline K-2

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2023, 01:13:46 AM »
@Lucie Y - Your friend is going to be so delighted by your work! It's impeccable! (and yes, you are correct that it's a quotation from Aristotle - from his work on zoology!) Are you going to do one of your gorgeous leaf and vine borders around the quotation?

Here's my "Castle"

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2023, 09:43:42 AM »
Fabulous @Lucie Y ! I hope it went well! And I LOVE your stray from the day. Especially since my son broke his pinky finger and has to have surgery tomorrow. He plays the viola and the surgeon said there is a possibility he may never be able to play again. So timely piece!

@K-2 that Castle - SWooN!!!
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Mary_M

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2023, 04:40:33 PM »
@Erica McPhee - oh no! I hope all will be well. My daughter is a violinist & always protecting her hands.
@Lucie Y - your friend will be very lucky to get the final piece.
@K-2 - Charming castle!

@Matthew H.  - look at the space between the w and h in who. It's not right. Since this is nicer paper (Canson Mi-Teintes) I’ll keep it as a reminder to watch that letter combination in the future.

Offline Lucie Y

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2023, 05:35:22 PM »
@Mark T the workshop went very well, thank you. After all, I'm glad I did it, it also taught me a lot. And I love teaching.
I really liked giving them an introduction on how latin calligraphy eovlved over the centuries, and showing them how the geometry of letters work and how Foundational hand helps with every other script.
I also showed them how the proportions work, from diagrams such as these, as I wish I had been introduced to these a long time ago.

https://scribblers.co.uk/blogs/news/foundational-hand-proportions

@K2 and @tiffany.c.a thank you so much! I still want to go back and change the s letters to something like Filip Cislak's s's here: https://www.instagram.com/p/CyYO_O5K2JV/?img_index=1
But I'm glad I'm finally practicing layouts.
And K2: I'm still debating on leaving the text alone with plenty of white space around it, or going for a fancy border. But thank you for your kind words on my borders  :)

@Erica McPhee I'm so sorry to hear that. I'm hoping for full recovery for your son. How old is he?
I truly hope it all works out and he can play the viola confidently again. But if that pinky needs more time, the harp is a wonderful instrument that needs no pinky. I used to play the cello but now I have a celtic harp that I love <3
Good luck with everything, it's so hard when our kids have to go through such things. Best wishes to your son!
Oh crępe!

Offline Matthew H.

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2023, 04:42:37 PM »
It's been wonderful seeing everyone's work in this thread.

I love your layout, @Lucie Y, and am truly in awe of the precision of your work. It was so much fun to look at this page, @tiffany.c.a – I really like the letter Ws from Day 11. What an amazing effect around the castle, @K-2! I wish when I made errors, they were a fraction as beautiful as this, @Mary_M. I read something once – I think it was on James Gurney's blog, but I can't remember the artist who said it – that most artists throw away any attempts that have gone wrong, when they are the most valuable thing for them to hang on to and study. Or words to that effect. And reading what you said made me realise that that's something I need to do more of, instead of striking errors through, feeding failures to the shredder, and all those other things I said in the perfectionism thread…

@Erica McPhee I can't express how sorry I was to read about your son's injury. I play the piano and it means the world to me – I cannot begin to imagine what you're both going through. I do hope today's surgery is a success.

Offline Cyril Jayant

• View Profile
    • https://twitter.com/jaycyril
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2023, 06:18:24 PM »
Lovely work everyone  ;D

Nice one @Lucie Y .
@Mary_M Great.
@K-2 Love how your do your magic with Colours !!
@tiffany.c.a That is some work.. Tiffany ... and I owe you a big , a very big thank you to be on my side to remind me to remind me to get to the marathon . Yes I did it and ( I missed one .. Chain  my all ideas got lost in that theme it was the hardest  one to connect to Pea nut  ) By the way.. Love your series of catching up those  challenges.  I love them and a beautiful concept...

So I have redone this challenging  theme  Castle.

Inktober 23Day 14 "Castle ".
From the point of view of the Peanut World.

« Last Edit: October 26, 2023, 07:59:21 PM by Cyril Jayant »

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2023, 07:52:54 PM »
Oh that is fabulous @Cyril Jayant !
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist