Author Topic: Update re Leonardt EF Principal nibs  (Read 2082 times)

Offline JanisTX

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
Update re Leonardt EF Principal nibs
« on: September 27, 2014, 07:03:46 PM »
I'm a member of the IAMPETH Yahoo! group & we got this message today regarding the current batch of Leonardt EF Principal nibs:

"Hi IAMPETH! This is Michael from John Neal Books with the following update from Manuscript:

"Firstly I would like to thank you for bringing this problem to our attention; we have taken this very seriously and have checked every step of our production to see where the problem has arisen. You are 100% correct that this is certainly not the standard of nib that we expect to be sending out into the market place as we pride ourselves on our quality but this time we have failed! We have removed the last batch produced from our stocks and we are remaking immediately, we are replacing our slitting tools and we expect to have stock again in 1 month."

--Linda Jones at Manuscript Pen Co."

So, JNB will have fresh stock around October 20.  You can email John Neal Books if you have bought any of the defective nibs from them!

Janis

Offline elsa.d

• View Profile
Re: Update re Leonardt EF Principal nibs
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2014, 07:49:11 PM »
Thanks for the update! I dropped my only one on the floor and busted it! I've been reluctant to buy more, unsure if they would be defective.

Offline AndyT

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2014, 07:51:25 PM »
That's good news, but as well as replacing their tooling Manuscript would do well to have a little think about their inspection regime.  This problem didn't just affect the Principal - the latest batch of Walker Fine Writers had the same defect and were promptly returned.

Offline schin

• Super Hero Member
  • Las Vegas
    • View Profile
    • Openinkstand
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2014, 10:29:00 PM »
I thank my lucky stars that I didn't buy a gross of Principals a month ago.. it would have all been from the bad batch! I was sooooo close to hitting 'Checkout now' but then I thought 'nahhh'.. my calligraphy muse was looking out for me! I hope they get this sorted out soon though because I'm running out!
OPENINKSTAND // website | blog |instagramyoutube

Offline garyn

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2014, 10:37:01 PM »
I did not catch the beginning of this.
Is this a repeat of the Hiro 41 problem or a different problem?
Gary

Offline Brad franklin

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2014, 11:23:52 PM »
Yes please update me on what the problem was? I purchased 10 from PPA several months back.

Offline CharissaF

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2014, 11:52:51 PM »
I just ordered my first upon the recommendations of so many.....thought something was wrong with me, I could not get it to work... Will happily accept a replacement .

Offline AndyT

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2014, 04:40:52 AM »
Is this a repeat of the Hiro 41 problem or a different problem?

The slits are off-centre: the pen feels scratchy and behaves oddly.

Yes please update me on what the problem was? I purchased 10 from PPA several months back.

As I understand it you should be okay, Brad, because the defective batch has only recently arrived on the market.  Just in time for IAMPETH and maximum adverse publicity, unfortunately for Manuscript.

Offline Brad franklin

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2014, 03:05:22 AM »
Thanks Andy good to know.

Offline Blotbot

• Super Hero Member
  • Follow your bliss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2014, 09:08:14 AM »
In the end, there seems to be a quality control issue.  Where are these nibs made?  Maybe someone should apply to be the QA officer for the factory.

Offline AndyT

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2014, 10:45:02 AM »
Leonardt are based at Highley in Shropshire, UK.

As I understand it in the heyday of nib manufacturing before automated presses, every single nib was inspected by trained "lookers-over", and graded as either perfect, a second or scrap.  After automation arrived, the norm was to inspect a given percentage of each batch, and out of that sample if a low enough proportion were scrap the whole lot was passed.  This form of batch inspection was governed by a British Standards Specification; Leonardt are now ISO 9000: 2008 registered, so the BSS no longer obtains and one can only assume that even that limited procedure is no longer followed.

The current Principal problem strikes me as a major QC failure which simply should never have gone undetected given even minimal sampling and inspection.  The LPef is an expensive product (nowhere more so than in its home market, by the way), and this is justified by its superior quality.  Allowing a whole substandard batch onto the open market is bad enough, but for the misaligned slitting to carry over onto the Walker Fine Writer run (for which the stamp tooling must have been changed, so you'd expect everything to be checked at that point) is a huge blunder.  I cannot imagine this happening in, say, a German factory.

If that job was was on offer, I'd apply for it.