Author Topic: Greetings from India  (Read 1419 times)

Offline Bhavay

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
Greetings from India
« on: March 12, 2016, 12:33:11 AM »
Good morning everyone here. I was a huge fan of fountain pens when I came to know about calligraphy. I started with GOTHIC and OLDE ENGLISH texts. A few weeks ago, I came to know about pointed pens and copperplate calligraphy. I started searching for oblique holder but couldn't find it in India. I have a collection of 200+ fountain pens of nearly all companies available in India. I came here for help about my new hobby, which is copperplate calligraphy. My main reason for coming here is to get help from you all to find an oblique holder in India.

Online Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
Re: Greetings from India
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2016, 01:53:38 AM »
Welcome! We have a few members from India. Hopefully they will offer some advice.  :)
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Garima

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2016, 02:22:12 AM »
My main reason for coming here is to get help from you all to find an oblique holder in India.

Hey, welcome to the forum! :) I am a copperplate beginner too, from India! :)
I have searched almost everywhere for an oblique holder but to no avail! If you are an absolute beginner, you can get your hands on the speedball oblique which you can find online on amazon.

Those holders with metal flanges are not available anywhere in India as of now so i had to resort to ordering online from paper and ink arts. The shipping costs are a bomb though! (Not that the speedball is any cheap here!!) Maybe other members from India are able to help you here. And me too! :)

Good Luck!
« Last Edit: March 12, 2016, 02:27:37 AM by Garima »
Garima Singh
Instagram

Offline prasad

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2016, 02:49:19 AM »
Hi Bhavay,
Big welcome to the forum. The Indian continent is getting bigger.  Love this.  ;D I started the same as you.  Started using FP's after a hiatus of nearly 25 years.  That got me into flex nibs and finally pointed pen calligraphy.  200+pens??  we need to chat off this forum and I NEED to see those :)

You came to absolutely the right place for copperplate and calligraphy in general.  Erica has managed to gather the most amazing people together and this community is just magic. 

Now the downside to loving calligraphy and being in India.  Materials and tools are next to impossible to get here.  Have to order from the US or Europe and the shipping costs are horrendous. 

2 things I did when I started about a year and a half ago was to hoard stuff like crazy.  Nibs, walnut ink powder, paper.  At that point of time I couldn't afford to hoard holders.  So I have started making them myself. 

The speedball Oblique is ok, but you can't adjust the flange.  You can still write well with it.  Check out Garima's Instagram.  Her work with the speedball is magic. :)

I have sent you and Garima a DM on the holders.  You can get them from Pune  ;)

Happy writing
-Prasad
Never be afraid to try something new
Remember - An amateur built the Ark and Professionals built the Titanic
My Instagram

Offline flummoxed

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2016, 10:01:00 AM »
Welcome Bhavay!

Yes, getting those oblique holders in India is hard. But I was the recipient of Prasad's generosity! Also, if your budget allows, there are reasonably priced ones from Philippines that you can get shipped at much more reasonable rates than US (in terms of shipping atleast).

Once in a while, you can spot a Speedball Oblique popping up on Amazon or Ebay.

Nibs,
1) Hard! But there are a couple of costly sources though!

Inks,
1) Once again hard! But keep an eye out on Amazon, you will get some once every couple of months.
2) Alternative: I use regular fountain pen ink and add a bit of Gum Arabic.

Paper,
1) Probably the easiest, I've found some really cheap and lovely paper for practice that behaves very well.
2) BILT has been my favorite so far, the other options have been the paper used in the regular 100/200 page ruled/plain notebooks which are hard bound (the paper on this is thin but there is no bleeding and it holds well).
3) Tracing sheets as we call them are a lovely way to practice and figure out where you have gone wrong.

Here is a trick I have used,
- Use water soluble ink
- Use the thick tracing sheets (not the thin white ones but the thicker cream paper)
- Practice with a guide-sheet below it
- Use a cloth to wipe it off!
This works well, but it some nibs and water soluble ink don't function very well because of the viscosity and the inability of the ink to stick to the nib.

Offline Garima

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2016, 11:10:36 AM »
2 things I did when I started about a year and a half ago was to hoard stuff like crazy.  Nibs, walnut ink powder, paper.  At that point of time I couldn't afford to hoard holders.  So I have started making them myself. 

The speedball Oblique is ok, but you can't adjust the flange.  You can still write well with it.  Check out Garima's Instagram.  Her work with the speedball is magic. :)

I am on a hoarding spree too but not as much! And you are being quite generous with your praise here , i am still a learner and will always be! :)
Garima Singh
Instagram