Author Topic: Has anyone calligraphed a moleskin notebook?  (Read 1264 times)

Offline Olive & Reid

• Supporting calligraphy in the UK
    • View Profile
    • Olive and Reid Studio
Has anyone calligraphed a moleskin notebook?
« on: August 09, 2016, 01:45:28 PM »
Hi all

I'm just doing some research into calligraphing onto moleskin cover, and with a little testing can see that neither acrylic or Dr PH Martin's Bleed Proof are likely to make the grade. I've learned that the covers are made from oil-cloth (in the vinyl family)? So wondering whether I'd need to use a paint that was oil based or specific for vinyl? Appreciate any advice you have from experience (or otherwise that you think worth testing).

I can't use a pen because it will need to be a specifically mixed colour, so would be using nib or paint brush, I think. But it has to be quick drying as it's to be done at an event. Is this possible?

Thanks!
Kate
« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 02:03:19 PM by Olive & Reid »

Offline jeanwilson

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Pushing the Envelopes
Re: Has anyone calligraphed a moleskin notebook?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2016, 07:25:00 AM »
My gut tells me this is not a good project for an event. I can't imagine there are any inks that would stick to oil cloth. Maybe Sharpie - but Sharpie isn't archival. Those little bottles of paint used for model building might work. One-Shot would probably work. But they both have a long dry time. And even then, you would not be sure if it would chip off after the paint cured - due to the flexibility of the cover.

Sometimes clients come up with really good ideas - but they don't know anything about the limitations of particular art supplies. Over the years, I have learned to avoid the search for unrealistic solutions. Clients hesitate to pay you for the time you spend experimenting and buying products to test. So if someone were to come to me with this idea, I would say - it will take $300 to experiment and look for something that works, and I seriously doubt I will find anything. They will whine and plead. Suggest they start thinking of alternatives. But there is no need to feel obligated to help them with their unrealistic expectation.

Offline Olive & Reid

• View Profile
    • Olive and Reid Studio
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2016, 08:31:44 AM »
Thanks so much, Jean — wise words as ever. It has been at the back of my mind that this is something that just won't work. I would so love to do the event but I must be realistic. I've had a couple of suggestions over on IG — embossing and alcohol ink, which I'll try, but am prepared to let the client know that the materials are just not going to allow it. Thanks for the gentle reminder not to try and achieve something that may very well be impossible! I will give it a red hot go, but that's about all I can do.  I will let you know how it goes.

Offline Scarlet Blue

• I do joined up writing.
    • View Profile
    • Wonky Words
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2016, 09:42:18 AM »
Try gilding it  :D
Well, it might work!

Offline Olive & Reid

• View Profile
    • Olive and Reid Studio
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2016, 02:51:49 PM »
Well, why not, eh Scarlet! Thanks for the reminder about that option. Obvs doesn't work with the flexible colour requirement, but if something's gotta give, something's gotta give!

Offline Jamie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2016, 05:37:17 PM »
Is there any reason you can't use the moleskin cahier notebooks instead of the usual line? The cahier material is MUCH better for putting any kind of ink on ( and it's the kind I've seen most artists use for doing custom moleskine covers).