Author Topic: Cleaning of ink pots  (Read 892 times)

Offline CraigRuhl

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
    • Faith On Every Corner
Cleaning of ink pots
« on: December 05, 2018, 06:31:30 PM »
I am wondering how often I should be cleaning my ink pots that I use for lettering.  For the past few months, I have been using dinky dips filled with McCaffery's, Higgin's, and Sumi inks. I have been topping off each pot as needed but haven't emptied and refilled any of them yet. I do use them each day. Any thoughts?
Craig Ruhl
A novice penman, seasoned writer, voracious reader, and all-around nice guy. I am a lifetime collector and user of fountain pens.

Offline Katie Leavens

• View Profile
    • Portfolio website
Re: Cleaning of ink pots
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2018, 08:36:52 PM »
I don't know the answer to this. But personally I only clean them out if the lids get too gunky to close well. Really that only ever happens with my sumi dinky dip. Otherwise I just make sure to give it a good store everyday or when I top it off. And if the ink starts getting thick, I just stir in a few drops of water.

Offline CraigRuhl

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
    • Faith On Every Corner
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2018, 11:28:32 PM »
Thanks Katie! I have been cleaning the inside of the caps when gunky and wiping off the pot edges from time to time.
Craig Ruhl
A novice penman, seasoned writer, voracious reader, and all-around nice guy. I am a lifetime collector and user of fountain pens.

Offline arherbgm

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2019, 11:25:59 AM »
I have been doing exactly those things Katie does with no problems.