Author Topic: De Amsterdamse krulletter - The curly letter of Amsterdam (Espinoza-Becker)  (Read 4427 times)

Offline ericp

• View Profile
For those of you who have been following another thread here:
http://theflourishforum.com/forum/index.php?topic=2788.0 you might recall that we started a discussion about Dutch hands, and in particular the style of window lettering in Amsterdam's brown cafés.

I ordered the book from the Dutch publisher Lecturis and got it last week!   Here are my impressions.
http://www.lecturisbooks.nl/en/webshop/the-curly-letter-of-amsterdam/62955

De Amsterdamse krulletter - The curly letter of Amsterdam

Author:   Ramiro Espinoza
Photography:   Rob Becker
Publisher:   Lecturis
Year: 2015

Very peculiar these brown cafés, immortalized for all the wrong reasons, but the author, an Argentinian typography expert now living in the Netherlands, is making a case that the window lettering of the cafés is very unique and facing extinction.

The book, written in both Dutch and English, explains the history of how this consistent window lettering came to be.  For us here at FF, this is of particular interest for several reasons:    first of all, although it is not calligraphy per se, the hand used for this lettering is of a unique Dutch style that has roots in common with roundhand;  it is very rare to be able to talk about such public forms of calligraphy;  secondly, well, it's a damn pretty book, small but charming.

Espinoza explains the origin of the lettering.  Jan Visser worked as a letterer in the mid twentieth century.  His inspiration was from a book from 1885 by a certain P. van Looy.   This book was itself derived from 17th century sources, in particular a 1659 book by J. Heuvelman, with some input from Jan van der Velde's well known 1605 book.

Visser inspired himself from all this and created a very consistent and original style of lettering that was picked up by Leo Beukeboom who continued the tradition until not so long ago.  Visser and Beukeboom had contracts with beer companies and the window lettering more or less came along with the beer.   :)

Espinoza has created a font called Krul and in the book he shows this reference type, explaining a few of the design decisions behind it, but in a nutshell he has tried to stay absolutely faithful to whatever lettering he has seen on the windows of these cafés of Amsterdam, but also of Maastricht and Ghent in Belgium.

The fate of these windows is gloomy at best.  As time goes on, the windows get broken, the cafés close or renovate and this unique work gets lost.   The photographs are all in black and white and expose dozens and dozens of these delightful examples of quasi-calligraphy.  (I played around this weekend with a pointed pen, trying to capture some of the essence of this style, it's quite fascinating.)

The book will help, historically speaking, to preserve the work, but ultimately the craft is left with no one to pick it up.  It's essentially dead, which is quite sad, but we do have a book and its wonderful pictures.   The text is short but to the point and easily read.

I will add another link for you to get a feel for the sort of thing in the book, written by Espinoza himself:
http://ilovetypography.com/2012/06/18/krul-the-untold-historyof-the-amsterdamse-krulletter/

One final word:  A lot of the letters in this style are "ordinary" roundhand, but that is not what the eye will pick up at first.  The eye immediately notices a certain Dutchness about it, for instance the way the e is shaped and that old d with its rounded stem like a mirrored 6.   What makes the style wonderful in my opinion is the use of the flourishing.   The S and s in particular are of interest (the capital S has a surprising mid section flourish, I'll try to post a picture of that if I get the chance) not to mention the obvious f and g minuscules, and the old style l, showing strong links to the old French hands.

As you can gather, I did enjoy the book and cannot wait to go back to Amsterdam one day.  :D

Offline ericp

• View Profile
OK I quickly took a few pictures to illustrate, sorry they are a bit dark, I did not have the time to adjust the lighting  :(

I am currently having a good time trying to capture some of the subtleties of that style.  I am using a Tachikawa no. 3 G nib with gouache and that nib is catching a lot on the upstrokes so I will have to adjust my technique.   There are a lot of fine flourishes requiring an almost perfect circle shape (which I cannot achieve yet).  The way the letters interact is really interesting (i.e. it is not so much the shape of the letter but the creativity in making the flourishes twirl around each other).

In one of the pictures, the author explains the evolution of the lowercase g.  In the window lettering, that letter is really unique.   The lowercase f is also very special.

Offline Blotbot

• Super Hero Member
  • Follow your bliss.
    • View Profile
Does the book say how long this font was used for by whom?  Was there a school of sign painters?  It looks so much like a personal interpretation of copperplate, it is hard to imagine it as a formally accepted font.  I think it was the "modern calligraphy" of its day!

Offline ericp

• View Profile
Does the book say how long this font was used for by whom?  Was there a school of sign painters?  It looks so much like a personal interpretation of copperplate, it is hard to imagine it as a formally accepted font.  I think it was the "modern calligraphy" of its day!
The book only explains that the sign maker Visser's source was the 1885 Van Looy book.  Only Visser (identified as the originator) and the other fellow Beukeboom are named as having painted these window letters in what is best described as a very personal interpretation of old Dutch hands of yore.

Clearly the original 17th century sources (Heuvelman, Van der Velde) were pre-copperplate but, in the twentieth century, Visser must have been exposed to copperplate.  The way I understand Espinoza's explanation, Visser just copied what he saw and liked in the Van Looy book.  So we must see any intersection with copperplate as something coming from the old roots (as opposed to say, a modern re-invention of copperplate).

There is no mention of a school, which is unfortunate as this explains how the legacy is dying.  The book says at some point he employed up to 24 employees in his sign making business, though it is not said how many actually did the windows.

This is what I like about this script:  it is very original and unique, it stems from Dutch sources and to me is pure Amsterdam.

Offline Christo

• View Profile
It's lovely! I visited Amsterdam twice in the past year and the place is full of beautiful lettering! apart from the window lettering, also signs & lettered tiles etc.

I don't know if they put these in the Krulletter book but this is an alphabet from the 1605 book - There are many similarities with the window lettering capitals!

https://www.rijksmuseum.nl/nl/search/objecten?q=Spieghel&p=6&ps=12&ii=0#/RP-P-1964-2168,60

It's worth checking the rest of the book too for flourishes that will make you dizzy.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 07:44:53 AM by Christo »

Offline ericp

• View Profile
It's lovely! I visited Amsterdam twice in the past year and the place is full of beautiful lettering! apart from the window lettering, also signs & lettered tiles etc.

I don't know if they put these in the Krulletter book but this is an alphabet from the 1605 book - There are many similarities with the window lettering capitals!

https://www.rijksmuseum.nl/nl/search/objecten?q=Spieghel&p=6&ps=12&ii=0#/RP-P-1964-2168,60

It's worth checking the rest of the book too for flourishes that will make you dizzy.
Yes, the alphabet you are referring to, Spieghel der Schrijfkonste (1605) by Van der Velde, is one of the sources mentioned by Van Looy in his 1885 book, although it seems the emphasis was more on Heuvelman's lettering and that was what Visser chose to use.

In another book I was recently reading, the author said that Van der Velde was a master of flourished (and dizzying! :) ) initials.

Offline ericp

• View Profile
Oh I also forgot to mention there is another excellent Dutch penman of the same period called Ambrosius Perlingh (or Perling) that lived 1657-1718.  A quick Google will of course pull up some incredible stuff from this guy, in fact I will post in the Library section a link to a PDF version.

Offline Christo

• View Profile
Thanks for the Ambrosius Perlingh mention! I just checked a book on archive.org.

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
Fascinating! And so beautiful! Thank you for sharing!  :)
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram