Author Topic: Jean Midolle - Album du Moyen Age and Recueil ou Alphabet de Lettres Initiales  (Read 4140 times)

Offline Doesy

• View Profile
I've always loved studying Jean Midolle's works. Here are links to two of them:

Jean Midolle - Album du Moyen Age
http://www.rarebookroom.org/Control/mdlwrn/index.html

Jean Midolle - Midolle-Recueil ou Alphabet de Lettres Initiales Historiques      
http://www.liberaalarchief.be/Midolle%20alfabet/album/index.html

Offline AndyT

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
Interesting: thank you!

Offline evjo

• View Profile
I've always loved studying Jean Midolle's works. Here are links to two of them:

Jean Midolle - Album du Moyen Age
http://www.rarebookroom.org/Control/mdlwrn/index.html

Jean Midolle - Midolle-Recueil ou Alphabet de Lettres Initiales Historiques      
http://www.liberaalarchief.be/Midolle%20alfabet/album/index.html

Omigod!  Happy day to see this website!  Diplomas!  & the category 'Porseleinkaarten'  (what is that?) has my favorite - from 1849, it says "Trenines Re Messieurs les Membres de la Societe des Estudiants de Louvain, par sou Concierge" and is surrounded by images.  Can someone tell me what that means? 

Thank you for posting the links.
Ev

Offline Doesy

• View Profile
evjo, here's what I found out about the cards:

This is a translation of the description for Porseleinkaarten from dutch to english (I used google translate so don't take this as the best translation):

Porcelain Cards (ca. 1825-1890 ) derive their name from their white luster and exceptional texture . For decades, they were the ideal advertising medium and therefore offer an original look at the 19th - century society. Our country was the undisputed center of the porcelain map production and had an international clientele .

The specific card you asked about was a little trickier because Trennes is actually Etrennes (I know, I couldn't see the E either. It's apparently the big leafy decoration that takes up the left side of the card). I think this is a New Year's card to the students at University of Louvain in Belgium from their concierge. I love all the embellishment! All the images of cherubs doing very uncherubic behavoir (drinking, smoking, one with way too many hearts stuck on his arrow etc) and the tiny little image of the owl (wisdom?) pushed off to the very far edge. Maybe it was a way of saying we know you participated in a lot of extracurricular activities when you should have been studying but we know you're only young once. Here's a New Years card to show how much we appreciate you.

A translation of the wording on the card would be "To the gentleman(?) members of the Student Society of Louvain, from its Concierge" (this is very approximate, my french is very, very rusty and not too good to begin with). Take all of this with a grain of salt. Hopefully someone with better french language skills than mine will chime in. Card reads "Etrennes - Á Messieurs les Membres de la Société des Etudiants de Louvain,  par son Concierge".

Offline Blotbot

• Super Hero Member
  • Follow your bliss.
    • View Profile
evjo, here's what I found out about the cards:

This is a translation of the description for Porseleinkaarten from dutch to english (I used google translate so don't take this as the best translation):

Porcelain Cards (ca. 1825-1890 ) derive their name from their white luster and exceptional texture . For decades, they were the ideal advertising medium and therefore offer an original look at the 19th - century society. Our country was the undisputed center of the porcelain map production and had an international clientele .

The specific card you asked about was a little trickier because Trennes is actually Etrennes (I know, I couldn't see the E either. It's apparently the big leafy decoration that takes up the left side of the card). I think this is a New Year's card to the students at University of Louvain in Belgium from their concierge. I love all the embellishment! All the images of cherubs doing very uncherubic behavoir (drinking, smoking, one with way too many hearts stuck on his arrow etc) and the tiny little image of the owl (wisdom?) pushed off to the very far edge. Maybe it was a way of saying we know you participated in a lot of extracurricular activities when you should have been studying but we know you're only young once. Here's a New Years card to show how much we appreciate you.

A translation of the wording on the card would be "To the gentleman(?) members of the Student Society of Louvain, from its Concierge" (this is very approximate, my french is very, very rusty and not too good to begin with). Take all of this with a grain of salt. Hopefully someone with better french language skills than mine will chime in. Card reads "Etrennes - Á Messieurs les Membres de la Société des Etudiants de Louvain,  par son Concierge".

Well I guess college  students have been the same for many years!

Offline evjo

• View Profile
Doesy!  Thank you so much for answering my question.  Google translator - that didn't enter my head to use.  Brilliant. 
I've continued going through that site and stayed up way too late last night trying out ideas based on the images.
& now that I've had some coffee I'm going to googleslate an old family letter from Norwegian to English, which should make my mother-in-law happy. 
Thanks again Doesy!
Ev

Offline Doesy

• View Profile
You're very welcome! I have mainly been perusing the books at that site and hadn't looked through the Porseleinkaarten (I'm sometimes kind of singled minded when I'm looking for things). My first thought was "Porseleinkaarten? What Porseleinkaarten?" when I read your reply. So, it was great for me to find a whole new section of the library to explore. I should be thanking you! (And I am. Thank you evjo!)

In case anyone else (like me) hasn't seen the Porseleinkaarten section either, here is an upper level link to more resources at the Liberaal Archief. The Porseleinkaarten link is down the page a bit.

http://www.liberaalarchief.be/iconografie.html

Modified to include more info.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2015, 12:56:35 PM by Doesy »

Offline Alex O

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
Wow! These are amazing.  Thank you for posting the links!

Offline ericp

• View Profile
What a great find!   The illustrations coupled with the calligraphy make this very entertaining.

Here's one that tickled my fancy:   Jane Grey, Epouse de Lord Dudley, sacrifiée à la vengeance infâme de l'usurpatrice Marie Tudor, fille ainée du Monstre Henri VIII, Roi d'Angleterre.

(Referring to the 1553-1554 incidents about Lady Jane Grey's removal from the English throne.  "Sacrified to the villainous vengeance of Mary the usurper, eldest daughter of the Monster Henry VIII"  :) )