Author Topic: W&N ink problem  (Read 2568 times)

Offline sarthina

• View Profile
W&N ink problem
« on: January 22, 2017, 06:07:43 AM »
Hi everyone.
And sorry Erica if this is not the right place for the topic.
So, I got some Winsor Newton "Calligraphy Ink, Violet". I was very excited, but when I tried to use it - no more hairlines, plus that the color starts to fade away as you move forward. I really want some help, since I bought 3 bottles (different colours) and I don't want to think they are completely useless. I upload a photo of the problem, maybe someone bumped into this as well and is willing to give some hints.
PS Both nib (cleaned it just before using W&N) and paper are OK since I can write very well with walnut ink or Pelikan ink (these are the only inks I have at the moment).
Thank you.
Take a look here: @sarthina_scribit

Offline brd4790

• View Profile
Re: W&N ink problem
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2017, 08:14:57 AM »
I've had a similar problem with a different ink, and so I added a little gum arabic (e.g. http://theflourishforum.com/forum/index.php?topic=2608.msg36774#msg36774 ) - it worked pretty well. whatever you do, experiment with a small quantity of ink so you don't ruin an entire bottle of ink  (e.g. http://theflourishforum.com/forum/index.php?topic=5329.msg66857#msg66857).
Kindest Regards,
Brad

Offline Estefa

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Federflug
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2017, 11:53:15 AM »
I second adding gum arabic! I also find W&N ink a bit too watery for pointed pen (I don't know if they are better with broad nib …?). One color (it was some red, don't exactly remember which) also feathered terribly (on usually good paper).

Good luck with using it!!
Stefanie :: Website :: Blog :: Instagram

Offline sarthina

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2017, 12:11:41 PM »
Thanks brd4790 and Stefanie for the replies.
I did this: put about 8 ml ink in a smaller container and added about 10 drops of gum arabic and stirred. And the result was more or less the same. Do you think I should add more? I'll try that and see...
I am a bit disappointed about this - since it says clearly on the label "calligraphy ink" :( . Not to mention that I put a new nib to try and - the same. Though the nib works alright with walnut ink from you, Stefanie  :D , and with the one made by myself... And on 3 different paper types (on one of these it did bleed a bit).

Offline Estefa

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Federflug
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2017, 03:12:37 PM »
I must admit I rarely measure exactly how I mix stuff ... so I can't say. I usually mix VERY small amounts, to prevent that I ruin too much ink. I think a Dinky Dip holds maybe two ml, and I'd add 3 to 5 drops of gum Arabic? In your case, I'd fill some of the ink you already mixed in a smaller container and kept adding drops.

I know how frustrating it is to buy an ink and then it's dissapointing. I bought for example Sennelier inks – it also says they are meant for calligraphy – and it's just impossible to get hairlines with it, plus it just "falls" from the nib with bigger swell strokes. A pity, they have so beautiful colors …

If it doesn't work at all to your satisfaction, you still can use the inks to make pretty background washes!

But of course, I hope it will write nicely! It helps to use really fine nibs with this kind of ink ...
Stefanie :: Website :: Blog :: Instagram

Offline brd4790

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2017, 04:15:37 PM »
that does seem like you added a lot of gum arabic to not notice a difference. On the 2nd link I sent in my previous post AndyT suggested setting aside a small quantity and leaving the lid off for a while to see if evaporation does the trick - maybe worth a try. good luck.
Kindest Regards,
Brad

Offline Salman Khattak

• View Profile
    • Toronto Pen Company
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2017, 06:11:27 PM »
W&N Calligraphy inks have never worked well for me with pointed pen. They are great for use with edged nibs though.

Parker Quink Blue Black works well for pointed pen work if you want a Blue ink. Gouache is probably your best bet if you want to try writing in different colours.

- Salman
I have an opinion and I'm not afraid to use it.

Copperplate Tutorial :: Toronto Pen Company

Offline sarthina

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2017, 04:02:19 AM »
Yeah, this is why I like this community so much: there's always someone to come to the rescue.
I let the bottle open over night - didn't do much for pointed pen, BUT I've tried it on a broad edge nib and it works (somehow) - thanks Salman and Stefanie for suggesting this. It seems is like I cannot make crisp corners at the beginning. Like too much ink flows too quickly and then it began to settle. Until I load the nib and it does the same thing again. I suspect this time it's not from the ink but from something I do (or don't do!?). Anyone had the same problem? I was using a WM Roundhand nib.
Tried Quink - it's ok for me, the only issue is that I have to load the nib more often than with other inks (wonder why???). I've also tried gouache and it performed very well.

Offline Salman Khattak

• View Profile
    • Toronto Pen Company
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2017, 01:57:34 PM »
You will need to fiddle with the reservoir a bit on the WM nibs to get the flow right. Did you prep the nib?

Also, it helps a lot to write edged scripts on a slanted surface. You will get crisp letters and better ink flow.

S.
I have an opinion and I'm not afraid to use it.

Copperplate Tutorial :: Toronto Pen Company

Offline tmtcalligraphy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2017, 11:20:35 AM »
I've had a similar problem with a different ink, and so I added a little gum arabic (e.g. http://theflourishforum.com/forum/index.php?topic=2608.msg36774#msg36774 ) - it worked pretty well. whatever you do, experiment with a small quantity of ink so you don't ruin an entire bottle of ink  (e.g. http://theflourishforum.com/forum/index.php?topic=5329.msg66857#msg66857).
Perfect!! This is Exactly the info I needed!!!

Offline brd4790

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2017, 08:36:57 PM »
@tmtcalligraphy yay! glad that helped you :)
Kindest Regards,
Brad

Offline danielab

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2017, 11:17:44 PM »
Hi my callifriends, Winsor Newton makes also Drawing Inks - do you have any experience with them? I think I read somewhere that they work better for pointed pen than WN Calligraphy Inks - ironic, right?