Author Topic: Writing an entire book using calligraphy?  (Read 7892 times)

Offline s.hemprich

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
Re: Writing an entire book using calligraphy?
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2015, 01:40:37 PM »
Would writing an entire book in calligraphy be fun or tedious or both? I'm thinking both, but leaning heavily on the tedious side.

It would take a very long time. I wonder how long it took sribes to write back then. Does anybody know? Because they technically wrote using calligraphy, even if it wasn't considered calligraphy back in the day. I bet it took a long time. How long?

It took Donald Jackson and his team about 15 years to hand write and Illuminate the St. John's Bible which they finished in 2011. I think it cost $8 million.

http://www.saintjohnsbible.org/promotions/process/principles.htm

Sandy

Offline FrancescaV

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2015, 02:12:37 PM »
It took Donald Jackson and his team about 15 years to hand write and Illuminate the St. John's Bible which they finished in 2011. I think it cost $8 million.

$8 million!  :o I have visions of that scene in Monty Python and the Holy Grail when the monk is writing out a page of the bible then, spilling ink all over the page because the sun was doing jumping jacks.... devastating if that ever happened in real life.
A pen is to me as a beak is to a hen -J.R.R Tolkien

Instagram

Offline AndyT

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2015, 02:40:50 PM »
Somewhere in FountainPenNetwork there is a thread where a bunch of people take turns writing out the Bible using fountain pens ...

And there's someone doing The Devil's Dictionary, with illustrations.  Nice choice!  Here it is.

Offline AAAndrew

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • The Steel Pen Blog
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2015, 03:12:43 PM »
When I first started to re-learn cursive, just getting the muscles back for connected writing required a lot of practice. I started to write out Master and Commander by Patrick O'Brian, one of my favorite books. It was quite an undertaking, and perhaps did not do me a lot of good in terms of the discipline to write correctly and well, but it definitely built up some muscles, and helped me appreciate how much time it takes to write out a book by hand. Patrick O'Brian did write much of his early books, if not most of them, buy hand with a pen and pads of paper. I got through a few chapters before other life intervened.

Shelby Foote, noted Civil War Historian and write of Very Large Books, wrote all of his books using a dip pen and boxes of Esterbrook 313 Probate stub nibs. I have not seen what his writing looked like, but I seriously doubt he was going for "beautiful writing."

There was a thread recently here on FF that included a few examples of Charles Dickens' hand writing and it was barely legible. The talk was that he was writing for speed and flow, not aesthetics. That's why writers in the age of hand-writing most often used scribes or they themselves would do the work of making a "fair copy" to be sent to the editors.

To copy a book, or to write one "fair" in a nice and readable hand would be quite an undertaking. But if done with care and deliberation, you would most likely see some change of hand from beginning to end unless you're already well-established in your mastery.

I still think about going through Jane Austen and writing out the occasional letter she's transcribed in the books. Unfortunately, they're usually not the letters of the nice people that she copies verbatim, but silly persons like Anne Elliott's sister Mary. But it would still be interesting to try. Jane Austen's own personal letters are also interesting to study, even if they're not books.

Andrew
Scattered all over the place today, and apologizes after the fact to Corina the wise for any ramblings and/or thread deviation that may have occurred.
Check out my steel pen history blog
https://thesteelpen.com/

Offline Carina_I

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2015, 03:22:52 PM »
You're not Carina the Wise for nothing, are you?  :)

Spot on, and consider "confuddlement" stolen for later use.

Well, heh heh heh, you know . . .

And you remember that!?

Offline schin

• Super Hero Member
  • Las Vegas
    • View Profile
    • Openinkstand
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2015, 04:41:20 PM »

And there's someone doing The Devil's Dictionary, with illustrations.  Nice choice!  Here it is.

This guy is AWESOME!!
OPENINKSTAND // website | blog |instagramyoutube

Offline andyj

• Freshman Member
  • A journey of a 1,000 miles...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2015, 08:03:20 PM »
Really interesting ideas here!  Now I want to get a copy of the Golden Thread and find a class on book binding. . . the list just keeps getting longer and longer! :)
Andy

Offline Jamie

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2015, 08:49:29 PM »
This made me start thinking if I was going to write out a whole book what would I pick, and all the talk of Jane Austen, and I'm surprised actually that nobodies mentioned letters Jane Austen wrote herself! You can get a book of them. And she's a very sarcastic lady, so it could be pretty entertaining.

Offline s.hemprich

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2015, 12:38:17 AM »
This made me start thinking if I was going to write out a whole book what would I pick, and all the talk of Jane Austen, and I'm surprised actually that nobodies mentioned letters Jane Austen wrote herself! You can get a book of them. And she's a very sarcastic lady, so it could be pretty entertaining.

I'm going to have to look into Jane Austen's letters...curious to see what she was like. Also curious about bookbinding now. Which reminds me Emily Dickinson hand wrote and hand stitched 40 volumes of her poetry. She also wrote poems on recycled envelopes which have been photographed and collected into a book.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/06/books/the-gorgeous-nothings-shows-dickinsons-envelope-poems.html
Sandy

Offline Estefa

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Federflug
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2015, 08:12:35 AM »
Which reminds me Emily Dickinson hand wrote and hand stitched 40 volumes of her poetry. She also wrote poems on recycled envelopes which have been photographed and collected into a book.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/06/books/the-gorgeous-nothings-shows-dickinsons-envelope-poems.html

Yes, this is a wonderful book! (I got it as a birthday present). It also shows nicely that people (at least those that wrote a lot, like poets, scientists etc.) did have very personal, non-calligraphic handwriting – much as we do today.

Another book with handwriting samples that I love very much is this

http://www.amazon.com/Love-Letters-Andrea-Clarke/dp/0712358250/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1450257057&sr=1-1&keywords=love+letters+2000+years+of+romance

It shows as faksimiles and transcripts love letters from an ancient Egypt one (in Greek) up to some of the early 20th century; except the one in Greek most are in English / from English or American persons. It is not only beautiful and interesting imho, but also very moving.
Stefanie :: Website :: Blog :: Instagram