Author Topic: do you ever feel guilty about the paper?  (Read 6570 times)

Offline Estefa

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Federflug
Re: do you ever feel guilty about the paper?
« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2014, 04:19:55 AM »
We used Conquerer (I don't remember which sort exactly) as our stationary paper back in my art director days. My boss thought I was crazy to insist on this expensive paper ;D! But as he also liked to use a fountain pen for signatures I could convince him.

Yes, it's not cheap, I also haven't bought it since. I might give it a try though because it's way more reasonable than importing Borden & Riley layout pads from the US, which is insanely expensive (the shipping, mainly)!! Though I really, really love them, much more so than Rhodia, which I find a bit too smooth. And the oh so beautiful (but quite toothy) Crown Mill Pure Cotton paper. Now that is luxury, I let me give some as a present for my last birthday … definitely not an everyday practice paper :).
Stefanie :: Website :: Blog :: Instagram

Offline Faeleia

• Bloop
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2014, 07:20:37 AM »
.. I feel like I'm such a hobo.. cuz I really have too much paper. Well. I like to fill up a page with absolutely 90% full before I recycle it. Most times, I'm using recycled paper from office, and or bills. LOL. People send me phone bills, I'm like WOOT, envelope practice time.. send me advertisements, WOOT, SPECIAL PAPER practise time.. regular trash paper.. WOOT.. practice swirls and what not time..

I've convinced myself that unless I reach a really good standard, I shouldn't waste money on good paper yet.

Offline tintenfuchs

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2014, 06:48:52 AM »
I've convinced myself that unless I reach a really good standard, I shouldn't waste money on good paper yet.
But! It makes a difference. In practicing. Really! I started with scrap paper and thought the nib catching, splatters, bleeding was because of me, when it actually was the paper ...
Natascha
My Instagram

Offline garyn

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2014, 11:33:31 AM »
You need paper to practice.  There is no way around that.
What I do is use cheap/inexpensive paper, rather than expensive stuff.
When I was learning brush calligraphy, the instructor had us use news paper or old phone books.  That way the cost of the paper was ZERO, and the only cost was for the ink.

Having said that, the paper has to be at least "decent."  If the paper is really cheap junk, it will make your practice more difficult.  Thus in that case be counter productive.  So there is a bottom that you should not go below.
Example, if the paper is so textured that it constantly snags the nib on the upstroke, it gets in the way of your practice.
Gary