Author Topic: North Bay, California: the passionate pen conference  (Read 10690 times)

Offline Ergative

• View Profile
North Bay, California: the passionate pen conference
« on: July 25, 2014, 01:08:04 PM »
Hi! This is local to my parents-in-law, and they've agreed to put me up for the week while I attend! Does anyone know anything about the Passionate Pen calligraphy conference in summer 2015?

http://www.thepassionatepen.org/

Registration just opened today, and maybe it's a bit too early for them to have selected teachers for the workshops yet, but I'm curious to know more about what, exactly, I'm registering for.
Clara

Offline schin

• Super Hero Member
  • Las Vegas
    • View Profile
    • Openinkstand
Re: North Bay, California: the passionate pen conference
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2014, 01:13:41 PM »
I read Johnneal promoting it on a newsletter.. sooo tempted, but a little far from me :( All the coolest things happen in California!
OPENINKSTAND // website | blog |instagramyoutube

Offline Ergative

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2014, 01:20:21 PM »
Yeah, I saw that they would have supplies by PIA and John Neal, so that at least seemed evidence that they are connected with the Right Sort. But there is so little information! I have this little list of things I want to learn:

1. Engrosser's script
2. Spencerian
3. Illumination
4. Insular manuscript decorations
5. Flourishes. Any. All.

I'm hoping at least two of those will be offered!
Clara

Offline Meghan

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2014, 01:13:11 AM »
Aw man! I wish I had started all of this sooner. I won't be able to make it this year but Sonoma is not far from me. I'm hoping it'll be close again next year  :(

I would LOVE to hear how it goes, if you're able to attend!

Offline Ergative

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2014, 10:36:08 AM »
Meghan--this is next year! 2015! You can still register!
Clara

Offline AmyNeub

• View Profile
    • 5th Floor Designs & Calligraphy
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2014, 03:58:36 PM »
Is this the Legacies Conference?

Offline Briana

• Love is all you need!
    • View Profile
    • Pickles 'N Voda
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2014, 06:24:58 PM »
I would LOVE to do this! It's a bit expensive for my budget, but since it's far out in the future I could have enough vacation time and savings to go :) I'll put it on my wish list!
Briana, aka Pickles 'N Vodka-- landscape designer, aspiring calligrapher, top-notch goofball
(facebook | 365 Messages of Love)

Offline Meghan

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2014, 06:32:54 PM »
Meghan--this is next year! 2015! You can still register!

Wow my reading skills are subpar this weekend!! Thank you!

Hmmm now I need to scrounge up some money...

Offline Ergative

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2014, 06:42:06 PM »
AmyNeub, I know literally what is on the website, and nothing else. I imagine if it were associated with this year's Legacies conference it would say so, but all it says is "The 34th International Calligraphy Conference."

Briana and Meghan, initial registration is only $100. You don't need to fork over everything right now. *poke poke poke*
Clara

Offline Meghan

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2014, 01:57:31 AM »
AmyNeub, I know literally what is on the website, and nothing else. I imagine if it were associated with this year's Legacies conference it would say so, but all it says is "The 34th International Calligraphy Conference."

Briana and Meghan, initial registration is only $100. You don't need to fork over everything right now. *poke poke poke*

Bahaha, such a pusher!! ;) Not that I'm complaining...

Though, I just bought some new supplies and don't think I can even swing $100 right now, let alone justify such a huge price when the time comes. I think I'll save up for the next one *sigh -- pout -- more sighing*.

Offline Meredith S

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2014, 01:42:31 AM »
I'm only just seeing this, and you've probably already figured it all out but just in case, here's what little I know. Each year there is the International Calligraphy Conference, and it's hosted by various calligraphy guilds, but mainly by the guild in the area the conference is being held. This year's was the 33rd annual conference and they called it Legacies. Actually Legacies II, because there has been one in Dallas before. 2013's conference was in Colorado and they called it The Summit. The Passionate Pen will be the 34th annual. So I guess whichever guild is hosting comes up with the name. My understanding is that IAMPETH is mainly pointed pen, but this one is both broad edge and pointed pen.

Here is the link to last year's conference to give you an idea of the types of classes they had http://2013calligraphyconference.com/. And then this is the link to this year's Legacies http://calligraphyconference.com/.

Hopefully that's helpful!

Offline Ergative

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2014, 05:26:28 PM »
I'm only just seeing this, and you've probably already figured it all out but just in case, here's what little I know. Each year there is the International Calligraphy Conference, and it's hosted by various calligraphy guilds, but mainly by the guild in the area the conference is being held. This year's was the 33rd annual conference and they called it Legacies. Actually Legacies II, because there has been one in Dallas before. 2013's conference was in Colorado and they called it The Summit. The Passionate Pen will be the 34th annual. So I guess whichever guild is hosting comes up with the name. My understanding is that IAMPETH is mainly pointed pen, but this one is both broad edge and pointed pen.

Here is the link to last year's conference to give you an idea of the types of classes they had http://2013calligraphyconference.com/. And then this is the link to this year's Legacies http://calligraphyconference.com/.

Hopefully that's helpful!

Thanks! That's extremely helpful.
Clara

Offline AmyNeub

• View Profile
    • 5th Floor Designs & Calligraphy
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2014, 10:56:40 PM »
I would love to go to both conferences. They both have wonderful teachers. My sister lives in the town where IAMPETH will be next year, so I will hopefully get to go to that one.

They are always within two weeks of each other too. They should spread them out?

Offline Charmaine

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2014, 03:44:08 PM »
I just sent in my registration for this, I hope to see some of you there! My mom lives about a half hour away, so i can stay with her - compared to IAMPETH, this one is really expensive!
« Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 12:54:04 AM by Charmaine »

Offline Linda Y.

• Super Hero Member
  • Calligra-ninja
    • View Profile
    • my instagram
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2014, 04:22:48 PM »
I wish I can go - Sonoma is about 7 hours drive from where I am. Unfortunately it's just too expensive for me. I'll be attending my guild's mini-conference in February though.

The faculty list is so impressive - talk about a gathering of "Who's who" in calligraphy. Wow. I'd probably be star-struck the entire time!

http://www.thepassionatepen.org/faculty/
« Last Edit: November 15, 2014, 04:25:03 PM by Linda Y. »