Author Topic: Intro to Spencerian July 27-28  (Read 4007 times)

Offline schin

• Super Hero Member
  • Las Vegas
    • View Profile
    • Openinkstand
Intro to Spencerian July 27-28
« on: May 20, 2015, 05:27:41 PM »
It's happening! Remember last year I posted a topic asking how to conduct a workshop.. well my guild and I have finalized everything so it's finally happening.. next month!

See attached for the poster. So our guild found a beautiful local indie bookshop that offers free space for workshops http://www.thewritersblock.org/ So we asked them to book us in for 2 days in July. We decided on 10:30-5pm both days, and limited to 15 people. I think we can do intro and lowercase on Saturday, then uppercase and sentences and maybe some flourishing on Sunday. So far the attendees are not 100% beginners, most of them are familiar with nib and ink.. and I am also lucky, a good pal and guild member James F (also an amazing penman) is my class assistant so we'll both make the rounds if there are questions.. so I'll have help from him.

Luckily, one of the guild members has a projector she'll lend us! Thank goodness for that.. I don't like the idea of a bunch of people looking over my shoulder at all. I plan to demonstrate 50% of the time and do the rounds the other 50%... I think personal feedback is always useful.

I am also including supplies... it does raise the price by like $20 and some of the others already have stuff, but I think it is best if everyone uses the exact same nib/paper/ink.. or else we'll have a thousand different problems.

I'm still thinking of what to do as a 'project' or if we even have time.. maybe an envelope, or a quote or something. I appreciate all your feedback from the other thread and if you have more ideas or tips on how to make a successful class, I'd love to hear it!!!
OPENINKSTAND // website | blog |instagramyoutube

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
Re: Intro to Spencerian July 27-28
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2015, 05:57:22 PM »
OMG - so awesome [said as I check schedule and plane tickets]! This is going to be fabulous!  :)
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Elizabeth O.

• View Profile
    • Elizabeth Oxenfeld
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2015, 06:25:28 PM »
This looks wonderful!!!  So wish I could go!
All my best -- Elizabeth O.

Website | Instagram

Offline FlowerCityLetters

• View Profile
    • Flower City Letters
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2015, 09:08:06 PM »
I sooooo wish I could go to this.

I think everyone having the same supplies is a good call. And I think splitting demonstrating and doing rounds 50/50 is a good way to handle a workshop.

Can't wait to hear about this :).

Offline idrawletters

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2015, 02:46:30 AM »
Ooooh Schin I wish I could go!!!

Supply list and splitting your time by doing rounds sounds good. I always find it essential as a workshop attendee to have the instructor personally correct my letters and give me tips on what it is I'm doing wrong.

Looking forward to hearing more details!
NYC / HKG
Instagram @idrawletters

Offline mary ellen

• View Profile
    • Calligraphy by Mary Ellen
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2015, 10:31:14 AM »
Schin,
that looks amazing,  I want to pick your brain next week as I am planning on teaching in the fall.
I heard it was great and of course I knew it would be. 
love the idea of everyone having the same supplies,  so smart. 

see you soon,
Mary Ellen

Offline schin

• Super Hero Member
  • Las Vegas
    • View Profile
    • Openinkstand
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2015, 02:37:07 PM »
Yes Mary Ellen! It was fun! The students enjoyed it, but yknow, I keep looking back and thinking I could do something different etc...

What I learned from my first time teaching:

-Make sure you have everything before leaving the house!!!! Don't ask...
-If you're using technology (projector etc), assume everything will go wrong and test well in advance. Bring old fashioned USB mouse/keyboard... Don't use bluetooth stuff! Again, don't ask...
-It's okay to spend time elaborating on a point.. I found that I rushed too much sometimes..
-Go around class lots.. I find students enjoy personal attention more. I also brought my supplies to each table so they can see me writing personally.. a demo on a projector idn't enough!
-I am glad I bought supplies for everyone, it was all standardized and no one had problems with tools or whatever. But in hindsight, I wish I had a bigger budget for tools so I could add more stuff!
-Instead of a long lunch in a restaurant, we had a short half hour break and everyone brought their own lunch. So it was fun eating and socializing at our desks.
-I had an amazing assistant James Fajardo who went around while I was teaching... I think it really helped! He helped to explain slant or grip or whatever to any student who didn't want to interrupt the class
-Show up well in advance of class (at least one hour!) to set up the projector.. figure out a comfortable way to sit.. my projector wasn't setup well so I was struggling and sitting weird the whole time. And in turn that affected my writing and pace...
-Wear an apron! I was handling ink a lot and spilled ink on my dress :(

Overall it was very fun! A lot of work but I enjoyed teaching, and wouldn't mind doing it more often now that I have more experience.

Offline Linda Y.

• Super Hero Member
  • Calligra-ninja
    • View Profile
    • my instagram
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2015, 04:40:42 PM »
LA is next, right Schin???  8)

Also your original post said July 27-28 instead of June... I saw it and got all excited thinking you had set a workshop for LA. LOL.

Offline Estrella

• Estrella
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2015, 04:59:38 PM »
It does say July in the body of the post... so I thought it was still upcoming.

L.A. sounds great!!!!
Schin & Linda in the same room... I die!!!!!  ;)

Please, pretty please... with a cherry on top?!  ;D

Offline prasad

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2015, 12:00:42 AM »
Awesome stuff Schin,
So jealous of all you people in the US who get together for these "do's" ;D

Need to get out to the USA next year ---- OR---

Entice one of you to make a trip to India :)  Local travel and sightseeing and local requirements including clothing on us. 
You teach and bring your full baggage allowance (60 lbs) in calligraphy supplies  ;D

Great idea of the projector.  I was trying to convince a donor for materials for some classes I plan to conduct.  But this is a better idea.  Going to make them donate a projector.  Now I have to do some reading up on what kind of projector.

-Prasad
Never be afraid to try something new
Remember - An amateur built the Ark and Professionals built the Titanic
My Instagram

Offline schin

• Super Hero Member
  • Las Vegas
    • View Profile
    • Openinkstand
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2015, 12:14:57 AM »
Oops didn't realize it said July.. SORRY! Lol!

I would love to do LA one day.. I'm glad my first class was local, because I could just grab whatever I forgot from home (don't ask) or ask someone to help grab stuff I forgot (lots of things).. plus I can go home after a long day of class and take a bubble bath and plan for the next day. Plus half the class was either friends or fellow guild members I know.. I did have some students who flew in from Texas and one from Arizona.. I gotta admit that really made me nervous, the idea that someone would travel for a class! It really made me want to do my best too.
It was perfect for a first time teacher!

Offline Sandeeee

• Never stop learning. Never stop writing.
    • View Profile
    • Sandeegraphy
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2015, 12:59:16 AM »
I'd love to join this too! But I'm too faaar! :(
Sandee Suan - sandeegraphy.wordpress.com
"Never stop learning. Never stop feeling. Never stop writing."
@sandeegraphy

Offline mary ellen

• View Profile
    • Calligraphy by Mary Ellen
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2015, 12:50:19 PM »
thanks Schin,  all great pointers!  I am going to work on my handouts in a few weeks, yours looked so awesome and
seemed to be so thorough.  Sometimes you only get an alphabet from a class, your notes looked great and a great resource for
practicing at home. 

ME

Offline SueL

• View Profile
    • Instagram Oliveleafcalli
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2015, 11:46:40 AM »
How I wish I could attend one of your classes, Schin.