Author Topic: What do you think of the IG group Calligraphy Masters?  (Read 4045 times)

Offline AmyNeub

• View Profile
    • 5th Floor Designs & Calligraphy
What do you think of the IG group Calligraphy Masters?
« on: July 29, 2016, 11:06:30 PM »
Hello,

I just had a quick poll and if you want to add discussion about the Instagram "Calligraphy Masters". I would love to know more information about it, if you cared to share. The reason being was something a guild member brought up at meeting. She said, wow it looks like everyone is calling themselves masters these days. I guess I didn't understand, but she said the calligraphy masters hashtag. I guess I notice it a lot more on Instagram. Their name is not Master calligraphers, which would be a real tough subject.

The website has this mission statement for the group "Calligraphy Masters is a community of calligraphy artists and calligraphers passionate about the world of letters. We're all united in a mission to re-establish Calligraphy as a leading art and share the inspiration and experience of creativity together. We believe that everyone can become a master of their own calligraphy."

Re-establish Calligraphy? Was it bad before or something? Please discuss.

Thanks,
Amy

Offline TeganL

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
Re: What do you think of the IG group Calligraphy Masters?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2016, 03:22:18 AM »
I follow them on Facebook and IG, I love the stuff they post, I find it inspiring.

@AmyNeub my guess when they say "re-establish calligraphy as a leading art", I think it has little to do with calligraphy ever having been 'bad', but that it may be argued that it lost popularity either in the art community or just in the general public. I think what the Calligraphy Masters group is trying to do is simply bring the art form of calligraphy back into the public eye as more than just something used for wedding invitations.

I guess some people might feel offended by the use of the word "master". The use of these adjectives to describe one's proficiency in the art of calligraphy does certainly appear to be a touchy subject for some, but master is simply a word that means "to show great skill or proficiency" or "to be in the process of acquiring said skill or proficiency".

Offline AndyT

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2016, 05:48:44 AM »
I'm neutral, having just had a look for the first time.  It's a nice collection of pretty pictures and there are some well known young guns involved.  What I didn't see on a quick look through was work from any of the people who have been keeping calligraphy in rude health and expanding its scope for many years - people who don't seem to feel the need for self promotion of this sort.

As regards "master" - whatever.  I'm sure it's a good move to give yourself that title if your business model is based on selling tuition, but if there's going to be a huge number of self-proclaimed masters it's abundantly clear that they're not all created equal.

Offline himasf

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2016, 09:34:22 AM »
i voted 'I don't agree' but it's neither the title nor the mission statement i'm opposed to...  :-X

Offline handmadeletters

• Janice Reyes
    • View Profile
    • Handmade Letters
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2016, 09:58:12 AM »
I voted I didn't know what it is. After having looked at it now, I guess I'm neutral too. It strikes me as one of those aggregator-type social media accounts that collect and curate inspiring posts, e.g., thedailytype or calligritype, etc. I suppose it can't be a bad thing to shine a light on people's works, as long as credit is given.

@AmyNeub But Amy, I do agree, there's something to be said about their usage of "Masters" as some people may be confused or sensitive about it. I personally am not offended (or even more apathetically I am not particularly moved by it), but I can understand why people would feel it's off.

Maybe as @TeganL said, we need to keep in mind the distinction of those words "to master" vs. "Master." I know Sheila Waters calls her one-week intense courses, her "Master Class" in Italic or whatever subject. Surely it's meant in the verb sense and not in that noun/designation sense because it's open to all levels.

All this talk of Masters is making me think of all those people out there trying to be Pokemon Masters. Sadly, my husband included. ::)

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2016, 10:51:14 AM »
I'm neutral, having just had a look for the first time.  It's a nice collection of pretty pictures and there are some well known young guns involved.  What I didn't see on a quick look through was work from any of the people who have been keeping calligraphy in rude health and expanding its scope for many years - people who don't seem to feel the need for self promotion of this sort.

As regards "master" - whatever.  I'm sure it's a good move to give yourself that title if your business model is based on selling tuition, but if there's going to be a huge number of self-proclaimed masters it's abundantly clear that they're not all created equal.
Agree with this post in it's entirety. Just now saw it for the first time.

Offline Scarlet Blue

• I do joined up writing.
    • View Profile
    • Wonky Words
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2016, 09:58:29 AM »
I really don't know if I'm wrong or right in my opinion, but I just had them down as a group of people who judge whether others are worthy of joining them or not, or featuring on their feed.... so I voted 'don't agree'.
I could be wrong, they could be lovely for all I know :-)

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2016, 01:09:19 PM »
"The 1st and biggest international community for inspiring calligraphy & lettering." ... It appears its creator is too young to have been a member of Cyberscribes.

People will show you who they are... you just have to pay attention.
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Salman Khattak

• View Profile
    • Toronto Pen Company
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2016, 06:52:54 PM »
They have a website with more details: http://about.calligraphymasters.com/

It sounds to me like their purpose is to promote modern forms of Calligraphy. They don't seem to make that distinction on the IG feed though and feature many different styles including Christopher Haanes and John Stevens as well as several pointed pen Calligraphers.

I don't find anything wrong with promoting that kind of calligraphy but calling themselves Calligraphy Masters seems a bit presumptuous to me.

- Salman
I have an opinion and I'm not afraid to use it.

Copperplate Tutorial :: Toronto Pen Company

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2016, 08:53:28 PM »
Ah, that makes more sense. It is a mostly European group. It's mostly the Americans who have a hang up on the Masters or Master title.
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline AmyNeub

• View Profile
    • 5th Floor Designs & Calligraphy
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2016, 09:32:34 PM »
Thanks for the discussion. "They" featured my work and I told them I wasn't a master, but a student. They never responded. I remember how social media can attack, when you misrepresent yourself.

Offline Starlee

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2016, 08:54:31 AM »
This seems no different from other social media accounts floating around for type, hand lettering and design in general (e.g., The Design Tip, Design Milk). Even Handletteredabcs could be grouped into this category. I think a key difference is, as mentioned above, 'masters' is in their title. Had they called themselves 'Calligraphy Lovers', it wouldn't have been as catchy, but safer. I look at all these types of groups as a modern and very loose form of 'publishing'. If they like your work, they showcase it. I would take your featured work as a compliment as it is worthy of recognition. You do wonderful pieces! Andy Warhol once said something along the lines of...'the job of an artist is to create. Others will critique your work enough for you. Something along those lines anyway, the meaning is there. I wouldn't worry about stuff like this or how it is perceived. It is clear what type of group they are. I like groups like this as it is a good way of discovering new artists that I might not have otherwise.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2016, 08:57:50 AM by Starlee »
Star

Offline Moya

• Super Hero Member
  • all your gold are belong to me
    • View Profile
    • Calligraphy by Moya
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2016, 07:12:14 PM »
Same as Amy - they have featured my work, without first asking my permission or contacting me in any way, which I found a bit offputting given the size of their audience and also since I'm aware of the controversy around anyone calling themselves masters. I definitely am no master of anything - but they didn't ask me...

Honestly though I can't be mad. I think they're just another aggregate feed, and it's good that they exist - I'm definitely in favour of anything that promotes our beautiful art to the masses. But I don't think that they speak with any authority on the subject. It's just a bunch of people who love calligraphy and want to share, but maybe aren't experts on the subject. And hey, that describes me too, in a way.

Offline tintenfuchs

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2016, 11:09:35 AM »
I don't think that they are called that because they consider themselves masters. I think they share the work of the people they think are masters of their trade and I can't find anything wrong with that. Who hasn't got a folder or a drawer called "masters" with work of people they admire at home? I know I do! And I guess CM is just that, a collection of work the curators think of as masterful.

I don't find everything they post masterful or exceptional, but some of it is. And beauty is in the eye of the beholder I guess.

I actually approve of feature pages like that because:
1) You discover new and interesting people to follow because you share an interest
2) I myself like being featured, not because I think I'm a master or I'm follower-crazy, but because I think that pages like this can help like-minded people to find you and get in touch.

Natascha
My Instagram

Offline Bianca M

• Super Hero Member
  • Tempus Fugit
    • View Profile
    • Bianca Mascorro Calligraphy & Art
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2016, 01:20:09 PM »
I agree with Natascha's evaluation of the "masters" bit.  When they featured my work, not for one minute did I think they really thought I was a master of anything.  It was more like "hey, neat video."  I personally do not follow them because they feature work of many calligraphers that I follow, and although discovering new talent is nice, I dislike seeing duplicate posts in my feed (picky picky!). 

Do I think that that group is in a position to judge our talents?  No.  Are they actually trying to put themselves in that position?  I don't really think so. I think they're just sharing work that they admire.

Overall, I think it's pretty clear that this has nothing to do with, nor is it trying to have anything to do with the "Master Calligrapher" title (although, perhaps a word more humble than "master" would be more appropriate, so I agree with Salman there).  Also, regarding anyone who tries to attack someone whose work is featured on a feed just because it has the word "master" in it, well, shame on them. 
« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 01:30:33 PM by Bianca M »