Author Topic: Calligraphy confessions  (Read 60573 times)

Offline Scarlet Blue

• I do joined up writing.
    • View Profile
    • Wonky Words
Re: Calligraphy confessions
« Reply #90 on: September 05, 2014, 08:25:15 AM »
I have a terrible confession to make. I learnt the broad pen first... and before I learnt copperplate I thought everyone's pointed pen work looked the same... it was only when I started learning copperplate, and therefore started looking at it properly, that I could see the distinct differences between calligraphers.
But I do wonder if people who don't write calligraphy see it as all the same?

Offline AndyT

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 05, 2014, 10:29:53 AM »
I'm sorry to say that I'm one of those people, Scarlet.  Prior to Ken's exposition on the subject yesterday I'd have been hard pressed to tell copperplate from Engraver's.  It's much easier to spot the nuances with Spencerian and its derivatives, for me anyway.

Offline ernie_tan

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 05, 2014, 12:32:44 PM »
My confession is I have done all of the bad habits that you have mentioned here, except spiting my nib and wiping my nibs with underwear.

Plus:
1. I asked hubs to print guidelines at his office bcs our printer's ink is empty.
2. I was so desperate wanted to learn calligraphy that I used black watercolor as my ink when I first started calligraphy. It is because I could not find ink that is not feather. (Fyi, I am frm Indonesia)
3. It is 11.30 pm and I should have taken shower, but what I am doing is reading all pages of this thread and posting a reply.
Ernie Tan
IG: ernietan.calligraphy | Practice makes progress.

Offline elsa.d

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 05, 2014, 02:10:06 PM »
Lori, I use tap water all the time. My gouache has been perfectly well behaved, and it seems as if yours has too.

I use old underwear to wipe my nibs. (Washed first, of course!)

Hahaha best confession!

Offline joi

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • www.bienfaitcalligraphy.com
« Reply #94 on: September 05, 2014, 06:24:46 PM »
Lori, I use tap water all the time. My gouache has been perfectly well behaved, and it seems as if yours has too.

I use old underwear to wipe my nibs. (Washed first, of course!) When the crucial architectual details of my underpants no longer perform their function, I wash them and rip them up into pen rags. They're really, really soft and gentle.

(A few years ago, however, I transitioned from white underwear to brightly colored and patterned ones, so after I've used up my current batch of rags I'm going to have to find a new source. I can't tell if I've got all the ink off if my rag is bright blue paisley.)

underwear...wow...best confession EVER!!! omg!!! sooo funny!

Offline lyndsaywrightdesign

• View Profile
    • Lyndsay Wright Design
« Reply #95 on: September 18, 2014, 01:25:17 AM »
This thread is so much fun!

Some of my confessions are:

• I never do drills, because I worry that it would remove the human imperfections in my writing that I love, because they remind me that I'm not a machine.
  • It took me forever to figure out what everyone was referring to when they were talking about water jars.  Just to confirm, is that for mixing with ink?  Or for cleaning nibs?
  • I clean my nibs with eco-friendly baby wipes.  They're already wet but not dripping, and I've got 2 kids in diapers already, so I just buy extra wipes.  I figure if it's gentle enough for their skin, it's perfect for my hands (rather than using bleach wipes or some other chemical).
  • Whenever I find rusted vintage nibs for free, I take them!  I soak them in some cider vinegar and then use super fine steel wool to scrape off the rust.  It removes the finish on the nibs, but they still work great without it!
http://www.lyndsaywrightdesign.com
Instagram: lyndsaywrightdesign

Offline Meredith S

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 18, 2014, 09:54:31 AM »
    • Whenever I find rusted vintage nibs for free, I take them!  I soak them in some cider vinegar and then use super fine steel wool to scrape off the rust.  It removes the finish on the nibs, but they still work great without it!

Where do you find vintage nibs? I'm in Dallas, and I just have no clue where to even start looking. I know Harvey - I can't remember his last name, but penstaff is his username on here- was selling some a little while back, but I just didn't know how to pick without looking at them.

Offline ernie_tan

• View Profile
    « Reply #97 on: September 18, 2014, 10:29:23 AM »
    I have a new one.

I kept complaining how my husband not putting back all the stuff or things he has used, such as, not putting the magazine back to the rack. But I am sitting in the middle of a cluttered desk. Books, papers, papers, nibs, holders, papers....everywhere..desk, floor... I can't keep everything back to the position after my project's done. I do not let anybody touch my calligraphy stuff. I guess I am not being fair here. Haha. I am going to tidy it up after posting this confession.
    Ernie Tan
    IG: ernietan.calligraphy | Practice makes progress.

Offline tintenfuchs

• Super Hero Member
      • View Profile
      • Instagram
    « Reply #98 on: December 13, 2014, 08:27:29 AM »
    Here's a big one from me: I'm not interested in off-hand flourishing. :-\ :-X
    Natascha
    My Instagram

Offline Scarlet Blue

• I do joined up writing.
      • View Profile
      • Wonky Words
    « Reply #99 on: December 13, 2014, 01:37:44 PM »
    It takes me 5 days to choose which style of calligraphy to use for very simple quotes... and then even after 5 days I might change my mind again. This is a good reason to have clients... they make these tricky decisions for me.

Offline schin

• Super Hero Member
    • Las Vegas
      • View Profile
      • Openinkstand
    « Reply #100 on: December 13, 2014, 05:41:43 PM »
    This is a pretty bad confession because some of you guys know I make the painted pens with Brian Smith, very carefully designing and painting them..

..but I put my own oblique penholders through hell! Most of them have their flanges crusted with bleedproof white or other ink, and I have broken tails off pens cos I was throwing em inside bags or using them as letter openers (bad idea!).. I have broken flanges off the wood because I pushed the nib in too hard and a few months ago I took a penknife and whittled half off the foot of one of my pens because I was tired of it catching ink all the time.. it works great now but man it's ugly as sin.

Great to get this off my chest!
    OPENINKSTAND // website | blog |instagramyoutube

Offline Ergative

• View Profile
    « Reply #101 on: December 13, 2014, 08:59:11 PM »
    Here's a big one from me: I'm not interested in off-hand flourishing. :-\ :-X

Oh, I am, but I'm too much of a self-stickler to start it before I've got the letterform basics down.

But I'm not enough of a stickler to practice the way I should. This negligence will definitely come through on my Holiday exchange cards.
    Clara

Offline Dries

• View Profile
    « Reply #102 on: December 14, 2014, 04:05:26 AM »
    In primary school, I was singled out as the boy with the untidiest handwriting in the entire school. I often wonder if that is what made me take up calligraphy as a hobby.

Offline tintenfuchs

• Super Hero Member
      • View Profile
      • Instagram
    « Reply #103 on: December 14, 2014, 06:01:33 AM »
    This is a pretty bad confession because some of you guys know I make the painted pens with Brian Smith, very carefully designing and painting them..

..but I put my own oblique penholders through hell! Most of them have their flanges crusted with bleedproof white or other ink, and I have broken tails off pens cos I was throwing em inside bags or using them as letter openers (bad idea!).. I have broken flanges off the wood because I pushed the nib in too hard and a few months ago I took a penknife and whittled half off the foot of one of my pens because I was tired of it catching ink all the time.. it works great now but man it's ugly as sin.

Great to get this off my chest!
    The front of my unique oblique is also full of all kinds of color ... I'm pretty ashamed. And what embarasses me even more is that I kinda like it.
    Natascha
    My Instagram

Offline lyndsaywrightdesign

• View Profile
      • Lyndsay Wright Design
    « Reply #104 on: December 15, 2014, 03:30:09 PM »
    I've only gotten one exchange mailing out on time.   :-\
    http://www.lyndsaywrightdesign.com
    Instagram: lyndsaywrightdesign