Author Topic: Inktober 2021  (Read 11178 times)

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
Re: Inktober 2021
« Reply #105 on: October 30, 2021, 04:10:12 PM »
@AnasaziWrites - here we are on the penultimate day of Inktober!  I have to admit that I badgered encouraged my spouse into gifting me Diamine's 2021 Advent Calendar, which is full of little 12ml bottles of ink behind the doors.  If you're having fun with this and would like to keep working on your drawing skills... for the price of a lavish bottle of whisky (or two of your regular malts), you too can have an "Inkvent Calendar" - I'm planning on drawing a picture with each of them, using the name of the ink as the prompt.  Actually, quite a few of this Inktober's drawings were done with the 2019 Invent inks.  I usually do a test card to see what the ink is up to before I draw with it - putting it through its paces with broad edge and pointed pen calligraphy, and testing it for chromatography, shimmer, sheen, and shading.
@K-2
Is this ink usable with a dip pen or is it just for fountain pens? Do you use it with a brush? Is it affected by bleach? Is it permanent?

Offline K-2

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: October 30, 2021, 05:05:06 PM »
@AnasaziWrites - All of the drawings I did for this year's Inktober used fountain pen ink instead of traditional watercolors, capitalizing on the chromatography they display when broken down by water.  So no - not just for fountain pens!  I use my fountain pen inks with pointed flex nibs, broad edge nibs, brushes, ruling pens, automatic pens, music nibs, pipettes, and toothbrushes!  and fountain pens.

All my Inktober drawings are "monochrome" in that way, even if they seem to show different colors.  I love monochrome drawings for helping me focus on composition and shading in quick sketch studies like the ones I've been posting.  Dye-based inks are reactive to bleach, but not waterproof and hence not "permanent" like an iron gall ink or an acrylic or a traditional watercolor - all of which are pigmented instead of dye-based.  But my drawings & paintings aren't so precious that I'm worried about them lasting through the ages.

When I use these inks with dipped pointed and broad edge pens, I improve the consistency for such work by decanting them into dinky dips and mixing them with gum arabic until they do what I want them to.  But on good watercolor paper, many of them work fine straight out of the bottle - they just usually won't give you the world's most delicate hairlines that way.  And they are highly sensitive to the quality and variety of paper you use!

My Dante project is going to use these sorts of inks & bleach on treated canvas, which is a huge leap into the unknown.  I'm in the process of doing test swatches.  The real challenge of using them for art is being open to the serendipitous results.  You can't really control them like normal watercolors, but they reward experimentation and give beautiful results to those who persist.

--yours, K

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 30, 2021, 06:21:39 PM »
slither

Offline Zivio

• Foment Compassion, Practice Peace
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: October 30, 2021, 07:31:44 PM »

... The script is Court Hand, popular at the time in and at court, as were patches for women.

Many years ago, my wife and I were reading The Diary of Samuel Pepys and often wondered about these "patches" to which he'd refer.  I think they are fetching!
Foment Compassion, Practice Peace

Offline K-2

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: October 31, 2021, 01:34:45 PM »
An historical note regarding "patches": pedantry ahoy!

@Zivio - in the 18th century, beauty patches were quite fashionable for gentlemen as well as ladies!

@AnasaziWrites - Your "Portrait of a Lady in Blue" (1777-1779) is an 18th Century painting by Thomas Gainsborough.

The placement of such beauty patches advertised the qualities of the wearer - so in the Gainsborough portrait, the Lady in Blue's mark at her temple indicates "la passionnée", and the one by her upper lip indicates "la coquette".  Other locations indicated "le galant" or "la recéleuse" or even "la assassiné"!

But some of them were placed over facial blemishes or scars - and especially over syphilis sores.  Felt patches soaked in a mercury ointment were a common (and rather effective) treatment for syphilis sores.

Offline K-2

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 31, 2021, 05:27:42 PM »
Happy Halloween, everyone!  And thank you and congratulations to all the Inktoberists out there.  The last prompt is "risk", and what a fitting way to end a challenge to practice creativity and practice putting yourself out there.

I also noticed that "risk" has three of the letters most challenging to me in my Copperplate journey - but aided by the gracious encouragement of @AnasaziWrites and @Erica McPhee, I'm taking the risk to present them here.

Erica - thank you again for making Flourish Forum such a welcoming and friendly environment to learn and grow.

--yours truly, K

31. Risk

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: October 31, 2021, 06:35:13 PM »
Happy Halloween, everyone!  And thank you and congratulations to all the Inktoberists out there.  The last prompt is "risk", and what a fitting way to end a challenge to practice creativity and practice putting yourself out there.

I also noticed that "risk" has three of the letters most challenging to me in my Copperplate journey - but aided by the gracious encouragement of @AnasaziWrites and @Erica McPhee, I'm taking the risk to present them here.

Erica - thank you again for making Flourish Forum such a welcoming and friendly environment to learn and grow.

--yours truly, K

31. Risk
Brilliant.

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 31, 2021, 06:37:14 PM »
risk et. al.

Find 'em all.

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: November 01, 2021, 09:43:27 AM »
My Dante project is going to use these sorts of inks & bleach on treated canvas, which is a huge leap into the unknown.  I'm in the process of doing test swatches.  The real challenge of using them for art is being open to the serendipitous results.  You can't really control them like normal watercolors, but they reward experimentation and give beautiful results to those who persist.
I'm sure we are all looking forward to this project. I suspect it will be wonderful.

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: November 01, 2021, 09:54:13 AM »

--yours truly, K

31. Risk
@K-2

All well said. It takes a commitment to make 31+ posts to a thread and the community in a month's time. Thank you very much for sharing your beautiful art with us. It encouraged me to venture outside of my usual wheelhouse in terms of materials and type of script, and think more "outside the box" in terms of subject matter. Maybe I'll just get those watercolors out once in a while from now on.
Thanks to all who participated and to those who enjoyed the thread even if by only viewing it.
Maybe again next year?

Mike

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: November 01, 2021, 06:21:23 PM »

I could start a thread in the service of Flourishers who are looking to work with colored ink - especially for those using fountain pens.  After the success of the 2019 Invent Calendar, Diamine eventually released the inks in full sized (50ml) bottles.  Would that be appropriate here, Erica?  Would anyone be interested in such a thing?  To keep it more calligraphy focused, I could just post the test chips and not the drawings (but maybe people like seeing the drawings too?). 

This sounds very intriguing! Can you explain more how it would work?  :)
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: November 01, 2021, 06:46:07 PM »
@K-2 @AnasaziWrites

Thank you so much for sharing your beautiful, intriguing work with us and congratulations to you both for making it through the whole month! Wow!  :-*
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline K-2

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: November 01, 2021, 10:55:30 PM »
@Erica McPhee - I'm going to be testing inks from the Diamine 2021 Inkvent Calendar for my own purposes, and I could post the results here on the Forum if anyone is interested in them.  My process is as follows - I make a swatch with a broad edge script, a pointed pen script, a chromatography test to see how the ink bleeds, and a bleach segment.  Then I draw a picture with it (using the name of the ink as a prompt).  I do this with pretty much all of the inks in my studio collection, so that I can refer to them for various art and calligraphy projects.  It helps me know about their level of bleach reactivity and suitability for various sorts of lettering, drawing, and painting.

So here are two test swatches from the Diamine 2019 Inkvent Calendar with their corresponding drawings.  The inks are "Purple Bow" (a standard purple) and "Happy Holidays" (blue with a red sheen and a silver shimmer).  This year I'm going to do more rigorous test swatches though.

I know at some point the Forum decided that an ink thread might be more trouble than it's worth, given the variability of how color appears on different monitors and such.  But maybe this sort of experimental design might encourage other forum members to try out different types of ink in different ways.  Maybe some flourishers might even already be planning to get this year's Inkvent Calendar and could post their own work too.  I don't know - if you don't think it sounds relevant, I completely understand.

Offline darrin1200

• View Profile
    • Timber Elegance Pens
« Reply #118 on: November 02, 2021, 07:46:37 AM »
Congratulations on getting through the month with such fantastic interpretations. I really enjoyed them every morning.
Thank you.
Darrin McArthur
Timber Elegance ~ Handcrafted Writing Instruments

Offline darrin1200

• View Profile
    • Timber Elegance Pens
« Reply #119 on: November 02, 2021, 07:51:13 AM »
@AnasaziWrites I can’t wait to see your Inkvent creations. I didn’t get one this year, but a lot of members in our local FP club did, so I am sure I’ll get to see lots of samples.
Darrin McArthur
Timber Elegance ~ Handcrafted Writing Instruments