Author Topic: What broad edge calligraphy hand to begin with  (Read 5452 times)

Offline PaddyMac

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
Re: What broad edge calligraphy hand to begin with
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2014, 09:42:16 PM »
I would get them Parallel Pens and start them on black letter. Maybe they could tattoo on their friends arms for fun.

also check out Russian calligrapher Pokras Lampas
http://vimeo.com/73161768

and SHOE
http://www.calligraffiti.nl/

Offline lyndsaywrightdesign

• View Profile
    • Lyndsay Wright Design
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2014, 04:06:28 PM »
I think uncial is the simplest broad edge style to learn, as there isn't a majuscule AND a minuscule for each letter.  Secondarily, each letter is formed with very few strokes - no little detail strokes like in blackletter.  These traits make it easier to remember how to form each letter, which is why I think it's a good alphabet for beginners.
http://www.lyndsaywrightdesign.com
Instagram: lyndsaywrightdesign

Offline AmyNeub

• View Profile
    • 5th Floor Designs & Calligraphy
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2014, 07:22:02 PM »
Thanks. I agree Uncial is easier too.

I just visited my nephews over the weekend. My nephew took his black letter calligraphy envelope that I sent him for his birthday, to school to show his friends. So I think he will like to learn it.

Offline tintenfuchs

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2014, 08:12:28 AM »
Yeeessss breeding the next generations of calligraphers, mwaha.
Natascha
My Instagram

Offline jeanwilson

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Pushing the Envelopes
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2014, 09:30:58 AM »
I have taught both adults as well as children and teenagers for the past 10 years. It is very difficult to tell which style will appeal to any particular person - of any age. It is important that we do not impose our own path onto anyone else. The best way to introduce anyone to calligraphy or lettering is to give them The Speedball Textbook. It has an excellent exemplar for at least 20 styles. In my beginning classes, I encourage people to try them all and see if there is one that they really enjoy. Many people will choose something that is quite unexpected. But, if they like the style, they will probably be more patient.

I find beginners are actually very good at gothic as a first style. There are some simplified versions that are perfect. The student learns the little diamond stroke and how to pull nice straight lines of different heights, and a few subtle curves. Because it looks like a picket fence, they are also learning how to look at the white space which is essential in every other style. I find italic to be more complicated with all the angles. But, I have also seen beginners who do best with italic because that is the one that is the most beautiful to them.

Neuland is another one of my favorites for beginners because it is comprised of all thick strokes, so the student has an opportunity to focus on the nib and realize on their own how they must turn the pen to keep it always thick and avoid any thins. But, Neuland is not a popular style, so it is hard to get people excited about it unless they are in my class and seeing all the possibilities. There are a ton of examples on my blog - but, I did not do a good job of labeling them, so you have to dig through over 2,000 envelopes to find them. <sigh> someday I hope to reorganize it so that it is more useful

www.pushingtheenvelopes.blogspot.com

Jean Wilson

Offline jeanwilson

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Pushing the Envelopes
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2014, 09:35:00 AM »
I guess there are 36 Neuland examples on my blog, if you are interested in looking at Neuland. A lot of them are done with a marker rather than a dip pen and ink.  Markers are pretty handy for practice with broad edge styles. They are not as crisp as a nib and ink, but they are OK to use if you find you have time to practice in places where you would not have your nibs and ink.

www.pushingtheenvelopes.blogspot.com

go to the right column and find the word Neuland - in the Labels section
and click on it to see some examples of Neuland

Offline AmyNeub

• View Profile
    • 5th Floor Designs & Calligraphy
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2014, 10:46:48 AM »
Thanks Jean! I love all your posts. So helpful!