Author Topic: Broad pen calligraphy ink  (Read 5931 times)

Offline AmyNeub

• View Profile
    • 5th Floor Designs & Calligraphy
Broad pen calligraphy ink
« on: October 18, 2014, 10:41:21 PM »
I would love any input into what are your favorite inks for broad pen nibs. I have two kinds I am starting to use Mitchell and Tape. I prefer the Tape.

Black

Colors

White

Gold

Thanks in advance for your input.

Offline Linda Y.

• Super Hero Member
  • Calligra-ninja
    • View Profile
    • my instagram
Re: Broad pen calligraphy ink
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2014, 10:57:59 PM »
My personal preferences:

Gouache

Gouache

Gouache

Gouache

;D ;D ;D

It's the way I was taught, using gouache with broad pen nibs. We load the ink onto the nib with a mixing brush. I find everything else just too watery. With my Parallel pens, I can use Walnut ink and Noodler's ink, but I still prefer mixing up a batch of gouache for my broad pen nibs. I find Mitchell and Tape too flexy and prefer Brause and Leonardt Roundhand.

Would love to hear others' preferences and thoughts too!
« Last Edit: October 18, 2014, 10:59:43 PM by Linda Y. »

Offline Scarlet Blue

• I do joined up writing.
    • View Profile
    • Wonky Words
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2014, 04:22:50 AM »
I bought some Tape nibs on my last supplies binge and was pleasantly surprised. I like Mitchell nibs but I find myself buying about four of the size I want just to guarrantee I get a good one - quality control issues. I like Brause... but I feel that there aren't enough nib sizes. Brause nibs make my writing look more delicate  :)
I got cross with my Leonardt Roundhand nibs.... they just didn't work for me. I will try them again just to make sure it's them and not me!
Really don't like Speedball nibs - mine are really scratchy.
Higgins Eternal for all practice and Gouache for best!

Offline AmyNeub

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2014, 09:05:33 PM »
Thank you. I am using black envelopes for my Halloween exchange. I tried penmans white and it was bad. I had WN white and that was thicker. I will use gouache next time.

I am finding that the gouache everyone are using for their exchange is smeared and the inside cards rub the gouache off.  Are yours like that?

If you used gouache on your broad pen exchange ?,  then it didn't smear. I think with the thick shades on Copperplate it gets smeared through the USPS sorter.

How do you prep you nibs? I read someone puts them in hot water. Or is it the same process and the pointed pen nibs.

I will try Brause next time I order from the store.

Thanks for your help.

Offline Lori M

• Calligraphy will prevail!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2014, 02:15:12 AM »
I had the same question about inks, as I hadn't done broad pen in many years. (We used Higgins back in the day, if I recall -- black or sepia.)

As far as nibs go, I get the feeling from reading this that it's hit and miss and depends on whether you're lucky enough to get a good one. I ordered 3 different brands to test them out. The Brause was so scratchy I couldn't use it. The Tachikawa was nice and smooth, but the thins didn't seem quite as thin. I ended up using the Mitchell.  I'll have to give Tape a try!

Offline Scarlet Blue

• View Profile
    • Wonky Words
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2014, 07:19:59 AM »
I have used Dr Martin's Bleed Proof white with broad edge nibs - I just water it down so that it flows.

I put new nibs in a mug and poor boiling water on them to prepare them - but spit also helps to get them going. I have tried the flame method and was possibly over enthusiastic, and my nib bent  :)
Some say never used a flame, whilst others swear by it - so, personal preference.

White gouache on black is nice because it gives a kind of ghostly effect.

I have seen my writing chip off an envelope - it's so thick... but that was the bleed proof white!

I don't know why the gouache is smearing - could try adding gum arabic to make it adhere more firmly?

Any problems with flow regarding gouache - add a drop of ox gall liquid, but only one drop or you can end up with the opposite problem - overflow!!

Nibs - I think it's personal preference.

Offline PaddyMac

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2014, 03:17:25 PM »
With broad nib like Brause, they are almost always a bit scratchy when you first get them. Use 600 sand paper and crocus cloth to remove the burrs as well as to sharpen. Stroke very gently in both directions (bottom and top), then do very light figures-of-eight on the corners to remove the burrs.

John Neal also sells a nice stone for sharpening nibs.
http://www.johnnealbooks.com/prod_detail_list/s?keyword=Arkansas+Stone

Carrie Imai in LA does a nice tutorial on how to smooth and sharpen your nibs; not sure if it's online anywhere as a handout.

Offline AmyNeub

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2014, 09:58:40 AM »
Thank you ALL for your input. I use a nail file, it seems to work.

Offline lyndsaywrightdesign

• View Profile
    • Lyndsay Wright Design
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2014, 01:32:11 PM »
I use Speedball nibs, but I really prefer using my parallel pens, which I'm so in love with that I have three sets.  As for inks, walnut ink is nice. Also the Liquitex Acrylic inks.  For a more watercolor effect, I use the Pilot parallel inks, or Higgins inks.  I don't personally like using gouache with broad edge pens because I feel like my gouache dries super fast on the nib, and I'm constantly having to declog and clean the nibs.
http://www.lyndsaywrightdesign.com
Instagram: lyndsaywrightdesign

Offline AmyNeub

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2014, 09:35:58 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions and help.

Offline Moya

• Super Hero Member
  • all your gold are belong to me
    • View Profile
    • Calligraphy by Moya
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2014, 11:48:17 PM »
For broad pen, I really strongly recommend these:  http://www.artspectrum.com.au/old/inks.html  (scroll down to the pigmented inks section; they're a lot better!)

I am not sure how easy they are to get overseas, is the only difficulty.  But these are pigmented, so they're archival quality, and they run very smoothly out of a broad pen.  They don't work quite as well with pointed nibs, but they're well worth the time anyway.

Offline jeanwilson

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Pushing the Envelopes
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2014, 09:16:30 AM »
There are things you can add to gouache so that it does not smear. I like glair, which is made by beating an egg white until it is stiff, then let it sit until it separates. Pour the liquid that is in the bottom of the bowl into a small jar and discard the foam. The glair will keep for weeks in the fridge. I think some people add gum arabic. But my new solution to the whole gouache smearing problem is to buy the Acryla gouache. I LOVE it. It seems to have some acrylic in it, so it does not smear. For me, it has all the advantages of gouache and none of the disadvantages. I guess a disadvantage is that you cannot reconstitute it. But, I have lost interest in having lots of leftover gouache. I prefer to just use what I need and start fresh each day.

I know many people like Higgins Eternal, but I will say that in my years of teaching, the tip that most students found helpful was to try McCaffreys or Ziller ink and WALNUT ink. Those seemed to be the most beginner friendly inks. So, if you are a beginner, please don't limit yourself to just Higgins Eternal.

Having said that...I remember a workshop with Peter Thornton and we ended up using our dirty water to write. It was really soft an beautiful. So, if the only ink I had was Higgins Eternal, I would thin it down to gray and then it would not bother me.

And now for the ultimate in ink. Stick ink that you grind on a stone. It is the most heavenly ink ever. I don't know if anyone has discussed it on the forum, but it deserves its own topic. It is not rocket science to grind ink on a stone. And I have never seen anyone who did not enjoy using it. You do need to buy a stone, but it will last forever. The sticks of ink last a long time too.

Jean Wilson

Offline Scarlet Blue

• View Profile
    • Wonky Words
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2014, 09:40:46 AM »
I have a stone, Jean... I produced a miniscule amount of ink... it was a bit thin (too much water) but it did write nicely. I keep meaning to have another go at it. I was using a how to book... but I think, for this, I need to be shown properly, otherwise I will be experimenting forever!

Offline jeanwilson

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Pushing the Envelopes
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2014, 09:51:01 AM »
If the ink was too thin, you probably just needed to grind more ink into it. I start with a few drops of water, the size of a small coin and just grind in a circular motion until the ink is no longer *watery.* Then tip it into the well part of the stone. There are many different kinds of ink sticks. The ones I have were gifts, so I do not know what kind they are. If you buy a new one, it usually tells you what shade of ink you will get.

And I like watery ink...so, maybe stick ink is not for everyone.

Jean

Offline Scarlet Blue

• View Profile
    • Wonky Words
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2014, 09:58:46 AM »
Thank you, Jean. I actually like watery ink too... it's just that calligraphers always seem to be hunting for the blackest black (no, I have no clue where I got this impression... probably from a book!) so I thought I was doing it all wrong. Over the last couple of years I've learnt to have more confidence in my own preferences... so I may well stick with my watery ink stick... and I might try watering down my Higgins Eternal!