Author Topic: Laughable  (Read 8139 times)

Offline Starlee

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
Re: Laughable
« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2015, 10:18:59 AM »
Jean, I absolutely love your hockey analogy! I find I am one of those people that need to play. I study form by eye through texts and exemplars, dissecting and trying to understand the rules, but I practice very loosely concentrating more on pen skill (not form skill). I do find that as I get more comfortable with the pen, I am starting to shift my attention more towards accuracy and letterforms during practice once again. Although I still play more than anything...it's just that now I find proper form is starting to sneak in on its own accord. My hand is ever so slowly starting to catch up to my mind's eye.

One last, unrelated thing, while the left-right brain dominance theory is still popular in the mainstream, neuroscience research has now moved beyond that idea. It is true that certain brain functions may reside in the left or right hemispheres (e.g., speech in the left), imaging studies (e.g., MRI) show that people don't tend to use one side more than the other. It really is all about the two sides talking efficiently to one another to successfully achieve a task. No one is really right or left brained.
Star

Offline jeanwilson

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Pushing the Envelopes
« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2015, 11:43:52 AM »
This is great news that there is something beyond right-brain-left-brain theory. Do you have recommended reading?
The range of natural born skills and preferences is so broad that it does not make sense to break it into two categories.
It always bothered me that the right-brain-left-brain theory was too simplistic.
The book Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain can be so helpful.
I hope they can rewrite it to adapt to new theories and keep the gist of it.
Thanks for posting.

Offline Starlee

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2015, 03:55:22 PM »
I don't know of any books, but a quick search through primary research papers revealed that surprisingly this idea has actually been debunked for decades! I can see why the idea has stuck around though. It is a conveniently packaged idea. I group it with astrology and quizzes. I know they're non-nonsensical kookiness, but they're still fun. :)
Star