Author Topic: Hello from Ontario Canada  (Read 678 times)

Offline LAscripted

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
Hello from Ontario Canada
« on: April 19, 2017, 12:51:05 PM »
Hello,

I am Lauri Alty and I currently live in Cambridge, Ontario.

I am very new to calligraphy and only picked up a pointed pen for the first time about  8 months ago. I have been actively trying to learn copperplate script for about 6 months. Although new to calligraphy, I have always had a passion for pens and ink. I collect fountain pens and seldom write with anything else (I have a few travel pens always  in my  purse and at work)  ;)

I am a bit intimidated to be among so many talented artist but I am excited to learn and share with this community. I have found calligraphers I have met so far to be very kind and supportive so I am certainly looking forward to sharing here as well.

Look forward to meeting you,
Lauri

Offline darrin1200

• View Profile
    • Timber Elegance Pens
Re: Hello from Ontario Canada
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2017, 07:47:32 AM »
Hello Lauri, from a little east, near Brockville.

You will definitely find everyone here to be very friendly, helpful and patient.
Darrin McArthur
Timber Elegance ~ Handcrafted Writing Instruments

Offline Simone Lettering

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2017, 07:50:51 AM »
Hello Lauri,

Welcome to the forum  :D
I started with learning copperplate about 5 months ago and never did any pointed pen calligraphy before. So you don't have to feel intimidated by me  ;)

Enjoy your calligraphy journey!

Greetings from the Netherlands,

Simone

ash0kgiri

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2017, 11:40:30 AM »
Hi Lauri,

Warm welcome. Good to hear about your interest in Copperplate. You can straight away start with Salman's copperplate tutorial. http://theflourishforum.com/forum/index.php?board=45.0
BTW he is also taking a 4 hr workshop this weekend if you can make it. He is from Toronto.

I would also love to see your practice sheets... Dont hesitate to share it in 'Kind Critique' section for everyone to see and comment.

Keep writing,
-Ashok

Offline LAscripted

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2017, 03:09:35 PM »
Hi Lauri,

Warm welcome. Good to hear about your interest in Copperplate. You can straight away start with Salman's copperplate tutorial. http://theflourishforum.com/forum/index.php?board=45.0
BTW he is also taking a 4 hr workshop this weekend if you can make it. He is from Toronto.

I would also love to see your practice sheets... Dont hesitate to share it in 'Kind Critique' section for everyone to see and comment.

Wow thank you so much for the help. I will definately head over to the tutorial you recommend right after posting this  :D

I will be sure to post some of my practice in the "Kind Critique" section. I really struggle with keeping the slant consistent (the odd letter ends up more upright :P)  and with squaring off the tops and bottoms of full pressure strokes...I am sure there are many other issues but these are the ones I am working on most :)

Feedback will help. Thank you again for such a warm welcome!

~Lauri

ash0kgiri

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2017, 01:45:18 AM »
Hi Lauri,

Glad to know that I was of some help to you. The issues you mentioned are very common and can be solved easily with practice and proper learning method which Salman's tutorials offer.
Hope to see your work soon.

Keep writing,
-Ashok

Offline Aria

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2017, 08:11:01 AM »
Hello!