Author Topic: Walnut Dyes and Other Natural Extracts?  (Read 1257 times)

Offline Penda

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
Walnut Dyes and Other Natural Extracts?
« on: September 01, 2017, 06:16:58 PM »
I'll confess that although I'm (very) new to trying to learn Copperplate, I've been natural dyeing wool and silk with things like woad, weld, logwood and our friends the walnut husks, for many years. More years than I'm admitting to.

Recently I got a selection of natural dye extracts - something I'd never used before. A more processed but concentrated dyestuff in powder form which makes it cheaper for me to use commercially.

Now reading the old threads re. making your own walnut ink from Vandyke crystals, (because that is something I want to try although I may start with walnut husks simply because that's what I can get hold of easily) I'm starting to wonder about using natural dye extracts.  At the moment I have some lac and logwood powders left over from some recent dye batches.  So just curious if anyone else has tried this and, if so - or even if not - what preservative could be used? (Not confident I can make them soluble enough or that, if so, they will have the right sort of surface tension - but as I have them to hand, and I'm guessing would only need to use tiny amounts to try it out - nothing to lose, right?)

Even if my leftover extracts don't work - at least I know walnuts do.  I've searched old threads and found mention of alcohol (what sort?) or myrrh - maybe certain other essential oils might work as well... But anyone tried it and have any pointers, before I start experimenting... I'd be so grateful. :D  Just seems daft to have all this experience of messing around with colours, and not be able to do something else with it!

Offline RD5

• View Profile
Re: Walnut Dyes and Other Natural Extracts?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2018, 08:45:47 AM »
I would just make the dye and mix in gum arabic. You would also want to boil away most of the water to make the dye very concentrated.

Offline Inked botanicals

• View Profile
    • My Instagram
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2018, 09:58:58 AM »
I put cloves in my homemade inks and they have been years without any problem  ;)
Alba.

Instagram: @inked_botanicals

Offline prasad

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2018, 12:20:23 PM »
Hi @Penda
Tried this about 4 yrs ago. Wasn't too successful and did not have the patience to keep with it. My main issue was getting a saturated colour. Couldn't use fixatives like they use for natural dyes and fabric.
You can see my results here.
http://theflourishforum.com/forum/index.php?topic=1321.0

Reply #9 at the bottom of the page

You may need to boil and reduce the mixture to a more concentrated one. A dash of clear alcohol like vodka will do the trick to stop fungal growth.

Happy mixing
Prasad
« Last Edit: May 09, 2018, 12:22:35 PM by prasad »
Never be afraid to try something new
Remember - An amateur built the Ark and Professionals built the Titanic
My Instagram