Author Topic: A script that feels like home  (Read 10118 times)

Offline NicholasC

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
A script that feels like home
« on: July 08, 2016, 03:33:51 PM »
I began learning about calligraphy and dip pens with the intent of finding a script for everyday handwriting.  My search began by googling "old style cursive" and then stumbling upon Spencerian.  This lead to cursive italic, which led to several different broad edge scripts, and then to calligraphy in general.  I became interested in calligraphy, but soon found myself loosing interest in anything that I could not use for everyday writing (Foundational and Uncial may look cool, but they just do not lend themselves to rapid note taking or general writing).  My progress was slow, partly due to a general decrease in overall interest, and partly due to the fact that I am a left-hand dominant person who was forced to use my right hand when I was in elementary school (which resulted in less than ideal fine motor skills).  I felt a bit lost and even began reverting back to my despised Palmer script.

With much work and dedication, I discovered that I could use a slightly personalized version of cursive italic almost as well as I could write with my traditional Palmer script.  It was still a bit messy and inconsistent, but it looked much better than my usual chicken-scratch Palmer cursive  (I even had some people tell me that it looked as if I had printed out my notes on a computer).  But, even though I made good progress with cursive italic, it did not feel like the best script for me.  I began to feel lost again.

Then, while randomly wandering around YouTube, I saw a video in which a Spencerian Business script was used.  I never had much interest in monoline versions of Spencerian, but I really liked what I saw.  This was something that I could write with any pen, and still have it look interesting.  I added some lightly shaded, italic inspired, capitals as well as some beginning and ending flourishes and suddenly I had my script.  I struggle with consistent letterforms, spacing, and angle much more than I did with cursive italic; and I don't have the speed that I do with either cursive italic or Palmer, but I feel much happier with this script than I did with any other.  I have a long road ahead of me, but it finally feels like I am on the right track.  I finally have a script that feels like home.

I'm sure that I am not alone here, so I am curious as to what other folks have found to be their ideal handwriting scripts.  What scripts did you try that just did not work out?  What script did you end up with?  What difficulties did you have to overcome on your journey to finding the perfect handwriting script?
Rise up in the cafeteria and stab them with your plastic forks!

Offline jeanwilson

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Pushing the Envelopes
Re: A script that feels like home
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2016, 08:45:05 AM »
I'm sure that I am not alone here, so I am curious as to what other folks have found to be their ideal handwriting scripts.  What scripts did you try that just did not work out?  What script did you end up with?  What difficulties did you have to overcome on your journey to finding the perfect handwriting script?

As a child, I was frustrated when I could not make my penmanship match the exemplar. In college, as a fine art major, I was so impressed with the students who had beautiful penmanship and I spent hours copying the style of one friend whose penmanship appealed to me. She had shortened all of her ascenders and decenders so that it was very compact. I was OK with that style for several years. When I was 42, I took my first calligraphy class and was hooked on learning everything. Italic, copperplate, uncial, blackletter, Neuland, and pointed brush. I did monoline variations of all of them, and tried a variety of styles for everyday penmanship. For a while, I was devoted to italic penmanship and I give a lot of credit to that period for improving my everyday penmanship. Italic does a good job of giving you some muscle memory that is wildly different from the Palmer or Zaner-Bloser that was imprinted on your brain when you were very young. I did not like the looks of Spencerian and did not think I would ever study it. I was probably 50 when I took a Spencerian workshop with Mike Sull just to help the guild fill the spots. I figured I would be polite for two days and then never use it again. Instead --- it changed my life. It had all the rhythm and fun that I had been looking for. I also loved the proportions of very large caps and tiny lower case.

It also helped me to look at any font on any wedding invitation and be able to do a similar style in penmanship. I prefer to call what I do penmanship rather than calligraphy because I write really fast - and scripty. My everyday penmanship is all over the place. It can be very italic, or very spencerian, with copperplate influences. I often call it Jeanerian. But it has made me very happy to have penmanship where I can pick up any ballpoint or pencil and do writing that will wow the average viewer who -most of the time- has never seen anything like it.

I have also enjoyed and had great success teaching people how to improve their own penmanship. This topic comes up once in a while on this forum. There usually aren't many comments. Some calligraphers are adamant that they can only do calligraphy and their every day penmanship is immune to improvement. If I could afford to do this, I would visit each person who said that - and show them that they, too, could have pretty everyday penmanship. 99% of the time, they just need to slow down. But, I have had the experience of converting people who were convinced that they were hopeless. So, I'm convinced that if someone truly wants to improve their penmanship, they can. The two exceptions I have found are having a condition that affects the nerves and extreme old age. One student (who I was unable to help) was simply too shaky from some kind of disease and I have worked with groups in nursing homes and decided that their fine motor skills are past the point of repairing their penmanship. For those people, I teach some very pretty flowery designs that they can do very well. Also zentangles are a good activity for senior citizens.

I hope some of the other penmanship fans respond to Nicholas. I enjoyed reading his comments, especially the part where he says he had a personalized approach. It would be fun to see some examples of your writing, Nicholas.

Offline Scarlet Blue

• I do joined up writing.
    • View Profile
    • Wonky Words
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2016, 03:18:20 PM »
Hello Nicholas and Jean!

I was frustrated with my everyday handwriting because it looked childish in comparison to my parents writing - they learnt a copperplate type style at school whilst I learnt an italic based style. Learning calligraphic styles has helped me to adapt my handwriting.... yes, it can still be scrappy, but if I slow down, like Jean advises, I can give it a copperplate or italic twist... and although I don't practice Spencerian I've seen enough of it now for it to be an influence so much so that my every day writing can have the grown up feel I was seeking. I do Scarlaplate or Scatalic  ;D

Offline AndyT

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2016, 04:53:19 PM »
I think I'm right in saying that, like me, Scarlet was taught the Marion Richardson style (which I now think of as My First Italic).  It has one notable virtue in that it is highly legible, and two major defects which are its irredeemably childish appearance and laborious construction.  In my opinion we were very ill served by this, because in effect it's a halfway house between print script and useful handwriting for adults.  For whatever reason I abandoned it, and by the end of junior school my handwriting was very much like my father's, which is to say a stripped-down copperplate with simplified capitals.  It still is, although some Spencerish characteristics come through nowadays unless I'm writing very quickly.  It's speedy, looks grown up ... and as for legibility, that's for others to judge.  :)

ash0kgiri

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2016, 11:54:43 AM »
Hi Nicholas,

Thats a very interesting post. I recently bought a fountain pen, Noodler's 'AHAB' to use it for daily writing and its a little flexible too for the small shades if necessary, but as you rightly said its very important to know the script which makes you feel like home. Right now im copying few exemplars on Instagram. Hoping to find something which suits me. Otherwise I'm more into Copperplate, Engravers scripts and broad pen calligraphy.

@jeanwilson as usual your post are a pleasure to read which is so insightful and full of experiences. Wish i could have you as my teacher, guide, mentor... Im serious.

Thanks,
Ashok

Offline jeanwilson

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Pushing the Envelopes
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2016, 09:45:54 AM »

@jeanwilson as usual your post are a pleasure to read which is so insightful and full of experiences. Wish i could have you as my teacher, guide, mentor... Im serious.

Thanks,
Ashok

thank your your kind words. i plan on sticking around to add to the discussions - and teach/guide/mentor anyone who cares to read my posts. if we looked back in the archives, we would find several people who were posting for a while, with a lot of enthusiasm - and then they disappear. there is no way of knowing if they gave up, or if they found their bliss, or if they had other things pulling them in other directions. but as long as you continue to do some lettering and post it on the forum, i'm pretty sure you will get enough tips to improve. once in a while i get a PM from one of the people who have disappeared and they really did get exactly what they needed from the forum and they are off and running.

there are so many videos on youtube - i do not have time to find the good ones. maybe there are others on the forum -or maybe this topic is covered somewhere else- but it would be nice to know where the best instructions are. IMHO, if you want copperplate - you should go to Joe Vitolo's FREE eBook  - Script in the Copperplate Style. I wish there was something similar for Spencerian.

IMHO the two biggest problems with people who are new to nibs and ink is that they want to (or expect to) make progress faster than what is realistic. We are all drawn to the flourishing - but it takes some time to get there. As I have said - I am a big fan of allowing yourself some play time to try flourishing before you have mastered the basics - but there is no short cut to putting in the ridiculous number of hours it takes to master the basics. During my first class with a pointed nib, I would go home and practice 5 hours a day. When I showed up at the next class, other students would say, "Good grief, how much time are you spending on practice?" I hesitated to say -5 hours a day- because I knew that was a ridiculous amount of time - and feared they would reply "Oh. At 5 hours a day, you should be better than that." (And yes, my kids lived on pizza and kraft mac during those 5 weeks. They are now perfectly healthy adults and they are all foodies.)

The second problem is also speed related. Most students struggle with how much to slow down. A slow enough pace is often times annoying, and that takes all the fun out of the process. So, you have to find ways to make the tedious part *fun.* In my experience, people do better when they find the types of text or words that inspire better practice. For example: you might have some affirmations, or favorite quotes. Maybe you will relax and feel better if you are writing actual letters to people who will be thrilled to get a letter.

Hopefully, when I get caught up with the current pile of stuff (after the two week trip) I can dig through my lessons and post some of these suggestions with examples. In the mean time - keep at it and find the type of practice that makes you lose track of time.

One final thought - don't be too concerned about exactly which level of skill you will achieve. I am living proof that you can study really hard and then pretty much ignore the traditional styles - and just enjoy penmanship. Because I did not even begin my journey until my early 40s when I had 3 kids - I had to accept that I would never have the time to become a true master penman. But that did not stop me from figuring out what I could accomplish. I have students who have exceeded my skills - and I am proud to say I gave them their start and sent them in the right direction. I'm pretty sure it will be possible for you to achieve everything you desire - in terms of penmanship.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 12:27:25 PM by jeanwilson »

ash0kgiri

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2016, 11:42:59 PM »
Hi @jeanwilson,

Reading your posts are in itself are way too inspiring. And thanks for taking time to write back. Really Appreciate.

Understand. And completely agree to what you said. Im closely following Joe Vitolo's videos. And have printed pages of his book for my reference.
@Erica McPhee tutorials were a turning point on what i used to do before and now. And i can somewhat understand between a good letterform and a bad one. And judge myself in what went wrong.

Been in advertising i have long working hours most of the times overnights in office. I don't get time to practice like you do. So i carry my calligraphy kit along everytime. And whatever time i get i start writing. Lately I'm also keeping up late at night to make sure i write a good quote on an A4 sheet of paper before i go to bed. Next morning i see that work again and note down the mistakes that i made.

Will be posting few practise sheets that i did last night for others to criticize. I would be really grateful if you could have a look and share your valuable thoughts.

Regards,
Ashok

Offline Rednaxela

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2016, 05:13:04 PM »
This is the script I was taught in school.

This is what was left of it before I started to work on my handwriting.

This was the result after 2 months of practice.

This is how I write now.

I've been studying Spencerian for a couple of months now, and I think traces of this are visible in my most recent handwriting. The Spencerian system has helped me to see my letters in a completely new way, and to bring structure in their execution. It has also taught me to move my arm, hand and fingers in a different way resulting in a much freer feeling. Still a long way to go, but this is the direction I will be going.

Finally a video by Dao Huy Hoang that inspires me greatly. I love his flourishing and hope to one day be able to add something like it to my own script. Also I can watch his technique for hours and try to copy the patience and delicate touch he is showing.

Not sure if this fully answers the OP, but I hope there is still something in it for some of you.
-- Alexander --

ash0kgiri

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2016, 02:58:14 AM »
Hi @Rednaxela

This is an amazing journey you had. The script from school also has so much discipline. Wow.
You have made a great progress. You are right about the video. You can watch it for hours. :D

Keep writing,
- Ashok

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2016, 09:45:37 AM »

My everyday handwriting (that is, quick notes to myself or lists, so to say) hasn't changed much as the result of studying Spencerian, nor was it my intent to do so. My cursive was always on the neat side, with fairly consistent slant (I'll post a copy pre-Spencerian if I can find one). I've added a few new capital forms to it, and have more than one way to cross a "t" now. For letters and cards I send, it's always Spencerian, so I guess you could say that is now my everyday script for those things.

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2016, 10:04:00 AM »
... but there is no short cut to putting in the ridiculous number of hours it takes to master the basics. During my first class with a pointed nib, I would go home and practice 5 hours a day. When I showed up at the next class, other students would say, "Good grief, how much time are you spending on practice?" I hesitated to say -5 hours a day- because I knew that was a ridiculous amount of time - and feared they would reply "Oh. At 5 hours a day, you should be better than that."
Yep, barring the naturally gifted, those hours have to be put in. By the time you master a thing and make it look easy or effortless (in many things), most don't realize the tremendous effort that went into it. Monet was said to have painted 1800 or so paintings and who knows how many lilies and haystacks.

Because I did not even begin my journey until my early 40s when I had 3 kids

Imagine starting in your 60's.

I had to accept that I would never have the time to become a true master penman.

Maybe. A choice, perhaps, to meet higher priorities.

But that did not stop me from figuring out what I could accomplish. I have students who have exceeded my skills - and I am proud to say I gave them their start and sent them in the right direction.
Surely one of the great joys of being a teacher.

@jeanwilson A related article I thought you in particular might enjoy and on which I'd love your comments. I'm putting it in the Teachers Lounge section of the forum (for which you must be signed in to see) so as not to disturb this thread.
http://theflourishforum.com/forum/index.php?topic=5034.msg63405#new

« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 10:35:48 AM by AnasaziWrites »

Offline jeanwilson

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Pushing the Envelopes
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2016, 09:43:45 PM »
That is a wonderful article. Thank you so much for sharing it. Another word -that I don't think is in the article, but maybe it is- is nurture. I felt nurtured by teachers and I try to figure out what kind of nurturing my students want or need. Some people really do want to buckle down and put in the hours to really excel. Others are looking for a creative outlet and want it to be easy. So, I tend to embrace both ends of the spectrum. For many people, it's not the content, it's the process. They really don't want to become calligraphers, they want to make marks that please their eye. So - by broadening the concept  to *lettering arts* or even just plain old penmanship - it can be a very welcoming activity for people who do not feel like they are *artists.* For me, it is always a plus when a student comes bouncing into class and has received complements on a greeting card they made or just the fancy envelope. They say, "It's not as good as one of yours, but my aunt was just thrilled with it. Everyone at the party thought it was amazing." Once students understand that they can spread sunshine - they totally get it. Not every musician is going to be a star - but if you are the guy who can play the piano and liven up the party, then it doesn't really matter what your exact skill level is - you are making a worthwhile contribution.

I've always called my style of writing Jeanarian. It's fun to try to copy things exactly - but at a certain point, I drift off - my personal quirks sneak in - and I am always blending styles. Not everyone follows that path - but it works for me - thanks to my teachers who nurtured and did not try to force me into any particular mold.

Thanks again for sharing that article.

Offline Rednaxela

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2016, 01:04:42 AM »
For me, it is always a plus when a student comes bouncing into class and has received complements on a greeting card they made or just the fancy envelope. They say, "It's not as good as one of yours, but my aunt was just thrilled with it. Everyone at the party thought it was amazing." Once students understand that they can spread sunshine - they totally get it. Not every musician is going to be a star - but if you are the guy who can play the piano and liven up the party, then it doesn't really matter what your exact skill level is - you are making a worthwhile contribution.

I really like this part, thank you.
-- Alexander --

ash0kgiri

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2016, 04:31:29 AM »
@jeanwilson
Love reading your post. And they are so full of insights. You have much wealth that every word that comes out of your hand is an experience and learning in itself. I just can't stop reading it again and again.

And @Rednaxela thanks for highlighting that part. Its beautiful. :D

Thanks,
- Ashok

Offline jeanwilson

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Pushing the Envelopes
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2016, 01:49:13 PM »
Thank you for the kind words, Ashok
and you're welcome Rednaxela.
I am simply passing along the things that were shared with me by generous and kindred spirits.
While I was fortunate to have personal contact with mentors over the years, it seems like the forum (combined with videos) provides a new way for the scribe-network to reach many more people.

I hope the most recent members to join the forum will look back at the progress that Ashok has made in a very short time. I have been on the forum since 2014 and have been looking forward to seeing the work of someone who would take the time to post frequent samples of work to show how much progress can be made without attending an actual class or workshop. Good work Ashok. Your contribution is valuable.