Author Topic: Calligraphy confessions  (Read 60430 times)

Offline evjo

• View Profile
Re: Calligraphy confessions
« Reply #195 on: April 02, 2016, 01:52:03 PM »
Inkyfingers!  Too funny! 
Ev

Offline flomade

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: April 02, 2016, 03:26:58 PM »
I tried to wish someone a lovely summer once, and I totally wrote 'have a lonely summer!'

this made me laugh out loud!

Offline flomade

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: April 02, 2016, 03:28:07 PM »

I dream about it too! I love dreaming about it!

Offline Marcia Aronow

• View Profile
    • Calligraphy by Marcia Aronow
« Reply #198 on: April 02, 2016, 07:30:02 PM »
How many times is it possible to spill gold ink while it's sitting in a large dinky on the Speedstir?  I'll tell you!  At least twice a day.  And that stuff is too precious to spill, but I have a talent for it.  Toward the end of my last job I figured out (DUH!) that I could use my painters tape to secure the pot. 
Enjoy your day!
Marcia

Offline misstinydoodler

• Shiela Ramirez-Sison
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: April 04, 2016, 03:48:12 AM »
For me, I think I'd spend so much money just buying all the inks in the world. I'm so addicted to calligraphy, lettering and even watercolor that I'm trying so hard to have time for it  ;D
Shiela Ramirez-Sison
Interior Designer ~ Name and Monogram Designer ~ Calligraphy enthusiast
Here's my Instagram profile!

Offline AussieCalligrapherAlex

• View Profile
« Reply #200 on: April 04, 2016, 05:51:49 AM »
I still can't get basic strokes as consistent as they should be yet I can't resist writing things out. More or less just to see how they look.

Another is when I'm feeling in a slump I'll post something I did earlier on insta so I get an confidence boost. haha

Offline Garima

• View Profile
« Reply #201 on: April 04, 2016, 02:44:13 PM »
This thread is hilarious!!!!

When i started 3 months back, I followed all the calligrarules down to a T. And now i love breaking them all because they were taking away my love for calligraphy. I had set up cushions on my chair to get that perfect height and now those cushions are back to where they belong! (had to be, OCD you see ;))  I reminded myself every ten minutes, to loosen my grip on the pen and my pens i feel are going to perish sooner or later because of the death grip!

Okay i have a cleanliness OCD but those flanges just don't want me to touch them! I wonder why do i clean up the entire space when i'm done even if it takes an hour but i just get lazy when it comes to cleaning the flanges and i save them for the last and it never happens....why, why, why??? I HAVE to find an answer!! ::)

And i once had a sip of the nib cleaning water with yummy sumi residue!
Garima Singh
Instagram

Offline Os

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: April 24, 2016, 01:38:14 PM »
i'm self-learning copperplate because i'm too frugal to spend for a workshop (i think i'm doing a good job at studying copperplate by myself though???). i know nothing beats a hands-on experience, but i know it in myself that i won't improve in just a mere 3 hours. plus, there are so many free resources all over the internet.

my oblique holder grip is SUPER different from my normal ballpoint pen grip (which is why i had a really hard time transitioning. being a full time student entails lots of note-taking, so i haven't fully adapted my oblique holder grip to my ball point pen. it's too abrupt!)

i can't handle nibs that are stiffer than the hunt 22. i'm lame, I KNOW. i'm trying to re-explore the stiffer g nibs, and i've asked some seasoned calligrapher friends of mine how they're able to maintain a non-death grip while handling a stiff nib. and they said "push with the index finger" but every time i try, i really feel like i'm losing control over my grip :( it's hard, it's hard. i'll probably stick with my hunt 22 and 99 and 101 for now.

i love doing running ovals, despite everyone's hatred for it haha i find them very therapeutic :))

and lastly, i'm on the verge of having a hoarding problem. PLEASE SEND HELP :))))

Offline himasf

• View Profile
« Reply #203 on: May 25, 2016, 01:15:41 AM »
My calligraphy practice mantra used to be "Make this pretty for Instagram." :-[

Offline GabrielaLintang

• Freshman Member
  • 😄
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: May 26, 2016, 11:56:16 AM »
Lately, i've been writing calliraphy without proper slant. Haha. I hope someone doesn't notice 🙈
And i binge shopping calligraphy tools when see something new. Like inks and penholders 🙈🙈. Although in the end i regret it cause it isn't necessary to buy another one 😔
Cheers,

Gabriela 😊😊

Offline ericp

• View Profile
« Reply #205 on: May 26, 2016, 03:31:31 PM »
And i binge shopping calligraphy tools when see something new. Like inks and penholders 🙈🙈. Although in the end i regret it cause it isn't necessary to buy another one 😔
Ha ha!
As you can witness often here on FF threads, it is never a question of necessity.   ;)

(In fact I can even add that when it comes to new gear, there is no need for regret.   Enjoy and share with us your new favorite tools!)

Offline GabrielaLintang

• Freshman Member
  • 😄
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: May 27, 2016, 02:37:51 AM »

[/quote]
Ha ha!
As you can witness often here on FF threads, it is never a question of necessity.   ;)

(In fact I can even add that when it comes to new gear, there is no need for regret.   Enjoy and share with us your new favorite tools!)
[/quote]

Haha i see. Thankyou for enlighten me. Now i don't have to worry when i binge shopping again 😅😅
Cheers,

Gabriela 😊😊

Offline sanne137

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: May 29, 2016, 06:56:48 AM »
Love all your comments!
My confessions are that I am to lazy to put on pants and am sitting in a blanket right now.
I tend to compare my work and progress with others, get harsh on myself, and let that stop me from practicing/enjoying calligraphy.
Also I currently am procrastinate practicing capitals because I think I need to drill a bit more.
When I joined the forum for Erica's pointed pen lessons I was to scared to introduce myself, and now I wish I had back then.
I absolutely adore hacks and prefer them to 'official' holders <3
(My first oblique holder was a Hiro 41, 'glued' onto an old school penholder using moldable plastic, because I really really wanted to use the plastic. My second oblique holder was made from a cheap brush, because that's what I had lying around. My third oblique holder's flange was made from a metal-cat-food-bin, because I didn't have the patience to wait for proper brass.)
« Last Edit: May 29, 2016, 06:59:18 AM by sanne137 »

Offline evjo

• View Profile
« Reply #208 on: May 29, 2016, 10:33:26 AM »
I tend to compare my work and progress with others, get harsh on myself, and let that stop me from practicing/enjoying calligraphy.

Omigod - I do that also.  Ugh!  If I have been away from the pen for a time, I have trouble starting again; I think I will not be able to do anything good.  Once I force myself to sit down at the worktable and do some drawing or some calligraphy drills, though, my attitude improves.
Ev

Offline sanne137

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: May 30, 2016, 03:11:59 PM »

Omigod - I do that also.  Ugh!  If I have been away from the pen for a time, I have trouble starting again; I think I will not be able to do anything good.  Once I force myself to sit down at the worktable and do some drawing or some calligraphy drills, though, my attitude improves.

I didn't do any pointed pen for 2 weeks and just started with practicing using a fountain pen. Something new for me, so if I make mistakes they 'don't matter' (my brain is funny). Not looking on instagram, but looking through very very old practice pages is also very helpful for me.