Author Topic: What do you love most?  (Read 5546 times)

Offline Blotbot

• Super Hero Member
  • Follow your bliss.
    • View Profile
Re: What do you love most?
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2014, 09:30:09 AM »
I took my first calligraphy class summer and got hooked.  I find it very Zen.  The black on white lines, the scratch of the nib on the paper.  Very relaxing.  I do far too much multitasking.  Just to focus on one simple thing is wonderful.

I also enjoy the graphic aspect of it.  I like type fonts as well.  Most of my day is abstract, so something visual is refreshing and expanding.

Offline Vielka

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
    • instagram.com/only1_vw
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2014, 03:04:18 AM »
What wonderful responses from everyone! Even though I'm a total n00b at calligraphy (not even a novice yet ;)) I found myself agreeing or identifying with something in nearly every post! So as of right now I'm in love with the feeling of accomplishment when I write a letter or word "beautifully" (totally in the eye of the beholder :o). Also, as I practice-practice-practice and feel the stress of the day fall away. :)

Cheers!
  vielka

Offline Lynn Lantz

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2014, 03:04:50 PM »
I agree, Vielka! I'm just beginning, but I love the timelessness of calligraphy, the beauty of it, and the zen feeling I get from practicing letter form after letter form and stroke after stroke. I love the tactile quality of pen on paper and even the smell of ink and my dirty hands after staring at a computer screen all day and I love the historical nature of it - I like being a part of that history as I attempt to carry it on with my practice. I love that each instance is unique and that it's a performance art - there is only that one of a kind moment, like theater on a certain night, and no other night (or sheet of paper) will ever be exactly the same.

Erica, I like that saying "practice makes progress"! I'm going to ink that out later tonight.

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2014, 12:38:47 AM »
I love that each instance is unique and that it's a performance art - there is only that one of a kind moment, like theater on a certain night, and no other night (or sheet of paper) will ever be exactly the same.

I LOVE that!  :)
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Lynn Lantz

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2014, 09:31:38 AM »
Thanks Erica! My husband is a playwright - I've sat through many nights of the exact same play and marveled at how a slight inflection and even the energy from the audience can nuance a performance. It's that hand-crafted, human touch and I'm sure that's part of what draws me to calligraphy.