Author Topic: Hello, hello from Chicago!  (Read 2948 times)

Offline maomau

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
Hello, hello from Chicago!
« on: March 18, 2014, 08:34:37 PM »
Hi my name is Anna. I'm a self-employed graphic designer for the past 15yrs. During down time or on the side, I like doing other creative things away from using the computer.

Over the years, I've always had an interest with calligraphy. I've done a little chinese calligraphy and sumi painting but its very hard to find classes/workshops to learn more. I also find it hard to find calligraphy classes in the city. Most of it seems to be in the suburbs outside of the city (I don't own a car). So, i'm really happy to have found this place for  information & tutorials.  :)
« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 08:47:26 AM by maomau »

Offline Marcia Aronow

• View Profile
    • Calligraphy by Marcia Aronow
Re: Hello, hello from Chicago!
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2014, 11:36:37 PM »
Hi Anna - Thanks to Erica & many other contributors, you'll find a wealth of information & tutorials for all things calligraphy here.  I'm from Libertyville & I agree that it can be difficult getting around our city without a car.  Locally, take a look at The Chicago Calligraphy Collective's website.  There are workshops all year long in various locations in & around Chicago. 

http://chicagocalligraphy.org/workshops/

Also, Judith Joseph teaches a wonderful class called Calligraphy and Floral Decoration (watercolor) at the Chicago Botanic Gardens in Glencoe.  I know, burbs again, but the gardens are amazing.  Judith's class will start on the 20th & I noticed that it's full.  I took her class a couple of years ago & I loved it.     

If you know of any other classes, please let me know!  Thanks!
Enjoy your day!
Marcia

Offline Lynn Lantz

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2014, 08:55:00 AM »
Hi Anna! Welcome! I can't find any classes or workshops near me either - Maybe look and see if there's a guild with meetings in the city? I haven't found a guild in Vermont, but I know many states have them. See you around the forum :)

Offline joi

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • www.bienfaitcalligraphy.com
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2014, 11:27:51 AM »
hi anna and welcome!  i am a recent suburbanite, having lived in Chicago (Old Town) for 20 years.  i'm sure you know between the CTA and metra you can pretty much get anywhere you want to go.
lots of resources here!

Offline maomau

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2014, 01:14:53 PM »
Thank you ladies!

@joi: cta, yes. not so much metra, besides going to ravinia. I'm just really surprise there isn't much IN the city. Mostly very short beginner's classes that last for less than 2hrs.

@lynn: yes, most definitely

@marcia i've looked at the collective site occasionally and none has popped up in the city yet. the one in botanical garden sounds lovely. I will have to check that out. I did see a calligraphy at the Discovery Center but have yet to try it out since the recent winter blast or work deadlines had gotten in the way.

Offline Linda Y.

• Super Hero Member
  • Calligra-ninja
    • View Profile
    • my instagram
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2014, 02:41:59 PM »
Hi Anna! Glad to see you here!  ;D

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2014, 09:08:59 PM »
Hi Anna,
Welcome! I've always wanted to try Chinese calligraphy as well (my dad is half Chinese) but have never found a good resource! I'm glad there are other Chicago area people on the forum who might be able to point you to some classes.

Glad you found us, too! Let us know if you have any questions as you find your way around.  :)
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline maomau

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2014, 09:07:34 AM »
Hello hello Linda, happy to be here! ;)

Hi Erica, happy to have found this space! I'm hoping I can make use some of the chinese ink sticks or sumi ink for this type of calligraphy. Have you used these type of inks with dipping pens?

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2014, 12:09:26 AM »
Yes! It is quite luscious. Some calligraphers only use stick ink (they grind their own). I don't have time but I did enjoy it the time I used it. I do like Sumi ink, too for some projects.  :)
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram