Author Topic: Suggestions for my M & N's (Business Penmanship)  (Read 2930 times)

Offline andyj

• Freshman Member
  • A journey of a 1,000 miles...
    • View Profile
Suggestions for my M & N's (Business Penmanship)
« on: December 18, 2015, 03:46:29 PM »
I am having a hard time getting my m's and n's and I'm hoping maybe someone has a different drill other than this one by Edward Mill's:

My problem is that there seems to be a very nuanced slope from the bottom of one "n" hump and the top of the other "n" hump.  If the arch of the slope is too great (like mine seems to be), then there isn't that little "v" section between the humps.  But if I try to flatten that arch, I end up with something akin to zigzags rather than the m/n humps.

Is this something I shouldn't worry about or should I keep on keeping on or perhaps someone has a different drill that may give me the feel of it?  If seems like my natural movement produces the closely grouped humps rather than that "deeper" v that is in Mill's exercise.  I circled the part where I think I almost had it but it's still pretty far off. . . :(
Andy

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
Re: Suggestions for my M & N's (Business Penmanship)
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2015, 04:15:53 PM »
Perhaps these will help (from the Zaner method)

Offline andyj

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2015, 01:16:54 AM »
Yes, thanks AnasaziWrites - there is definitely more explanation in this one than in the Mill's coverage.  I will give it a try!
Andy

Offline sybillevz

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2015, 12:12:43 PM »
What helped me a lot is when my teacher said the curves of the m and n should be the same as the curves for the u.
So if you make a "u" and flip the page upside down, you should see a "n"...

Offline andyj

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2015, 10:21:48 AM »
Thanks, Sybillevz, I'll mess around with that concept.  It sounds like the type of brainwave hook that may work for me:)  For now, it continues to evade me. . .
Andy

Offline schin

• Super Hero Member
  • Las Vegas
    • View Profile
    • Openinkstand
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2015, 01:30:34 PM »
After awhile, drills like that turn into squiggles to the eye and lose all meaning in the brain. Once in awhile, try practicing in the context of a word, 'minimum' for instance. It'll help 'reset' your eye on provide a new exercise on how to make the letters look different and readable.
OPENINKSTAND // website | blog |instagramyoutube