Author Topic: Hello from Tullahoma  (Read 846 times)

Offline seanlanefuller

• View Profile
Hello from Tullahoma
« on: October 19, 2015, 10:45:38 PM »
Greetings from Tullahoma, Tennessee.  My Mom bought me a calligraphy set when I was a kid and I loved it.  It came with a lettering chart and a fountain pen with a broad tip.  I haven't done calligraphy in many years.  Recently I saw some really nice calligraphy and it got me interested again.  I started with a broad tip Elegant Writer.  Then I found out about dip pens on the Internet and I was really attracted to the primitive feel of a pot of ink and a dip nib pen.  I have found that it is a nice relaxing thing to do away from the computer.  At one point I saw Copperplate and flourishes and fell in love.  If only I can learn to do something like that.  I have started doing the tutorials in the forums.  I only have a straight nib holder, a cheap speedball nib, and the cheapest printer paper from Walmart, but I have started anyway.  I have a bent nib holder and a couple of the recommended nibs on order.  I'm so glad I found these forums.  I look forward to the interaction and seeing some more great examples of calligraphy.

Offline evjo

• View Profile
Re: Hello from Tullahoma
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2015, 09:07:36 AM »
Greetings & welcome to our obsession . . haha.  Did you know there is a guild in Nashville, TN?  And that last summer the annual conference of IAMPETH (look this up) was in Franklin?  What a lovely place, Tennessee. 
Ev

Offline thistledesignstudio

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2015, 11:32:26 AM »
Welcome to the FF!  So glad you found us!  :)
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Blog  |  Instagram

Offline tiffany.c.a

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2015, 12:10:11 PM »
It's great you found your way back to calligraphy. Welcome!

Offline Judy G

• I can be bribed with cookies and ice cream.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2015, 02:44:06 PM »
Hi there! Welcome to FF :)
Judy G [joo-dee]
food blog | instagram | twitter

Offline seanlanefuller

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2015, 08:57:45 PM »
Thank you all.  I didn't know that there was a guild in Nashville and I only just found out yesterday what IAMPETH was.  That makes me pretty lucky.  I am only about an 1.5 hours from Nashville and go there a lot.  I get my oblique pen holder tomorrow.  I am so looking forward to it.  One cool thing I have realized about calligraphy as a hobby;  You can buy a cool new thing for around $5.  There aren't too many hobbies where you can do that.

Offline Bianca M

• Super Hero Member
  • Tempus Fugit
    • View Profile
    • Bianca Mascorro Calligraphy & Art
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2015, 09:27:59 PM »
Welcome!  It's true, you can get a lot of great new supplies without spending a fortune.  Still, I manage to spend a fortune!  ;D Enjoy that new oblique pen holder, and the amazing things you can do with it!