Author Topic: Penmanship, Forgiveness and Peace  (Read 1230 times)

Offline Mark M

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
Penmanship, Forgiveness and Peace
« on: March 09, 2023, 03:15:11 PM »
My hope in posting this story is that others will be uplifted, edified and encouraged.

A few weeks ago my wife and I visited our tax preparer's office, and when it came time to sign documents, the lady produced a pen, the likes of which I had not seen nor touched in 60 years...a fountain pen!  I had totally forgotten about how I used to love to play with the old Scripto fountain pen, which was sold in a blister pack with two or three ink cartridges.
I could play with, but not really write with my beloved fountain pen because at age 10, I didn't know how to write; I was not allowed, in the 3rd grade to participate in penmanship lessons with my classmates, rather, our teacher forced me to keep my head down on my desk while the other kids were learning their abc's, their penmanship and arithmetic.
What block letter forms I did manage to learn was mostly by sneaking peeks at other kids' work when the teacher wasn't looking.
Forget about cursive....to this day I don't know how to form cursive letters,  and reading cursive is pretty difficult.
There's a reason it's called "cursive," when I would attempt cursive, I would curse...!!!
That teacher, "Mrs. G," also made a daily practice of verbally abusing me instead of teaching me, so, I pretty-much kept my head on my desk as a means of self-defense, further missing out on classroom instruction.
Mrs.G  obviously had problems of her own; her personality disorders and my childhood learning disabilities did not get along well at all in the classroom..!
That was 60 years ago, and between then and now, I all but gave up on ever learning to effectively and comfortably use a pen or pencil, and my penmanship has always been very juvenile-looking.
So, back to present time, encountering that fountain pen at the tax preparer's office somehow rekindled a desire to learn to write with pen on paper.
Let the past remain in the past, I'm old enough now to not be troubled anymore by dyslexia , right?
 I ordered the very same fountain pen the tax preparer had shown me,  inked it up and started playing at pen and paper, only to find my arm, hand, fingers and wrist immediately locking up with tension, pain and fatigue,  just as it always had been, all these years.
What, what WHAT is this arm tension, pain and locking up???!!!
I realized it was time to humbly ask God to help me "figure this out," because enough is enough, it's time to learn to use a pen and paper...!
Figure this out?? 
It's not figure-outtable..!
It's been going on for too long, and it's just part of who I am....!

Proverbs 3:5  states: "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight."

After a moment of prayer, whereby I asked God for His help with my penmanship,  He revealed to me that the profound muscular fatigue in my fingers, hand, wrist and arm were the manifestations of anger, rage, self-hatred and unforgiveness. He then straight-up told me:  "If you will forgive Mrs.G, I will unlock your arm so that you may learn write."

So, I forgave Mrs.G after all these years, releasing her (and myself) from all the anger, hatred and unforgiveness I had kept in my heart against her all these years.
Any arm discomfort I have now mostly is the result of bad habits in posture and the resulting muscular overcompensating; the frustration, self-doubt and all negative emotion are gone..!
By the grace of God, I am well on my way to learning to use my fountain pen effectively, comfortably and best of all, legibly...!
Thanks for reading, Y'all, and, praise, honor and glory to the living God..!!

Mark M
Edited to add:
The Lord is continuing to reveal to me the technique errors I've been holding onto all these years, for example, attempting to hold the paper steady with my writing hand.....
Who knew??
« Last Edit: March 09, 2023, 04:07:22 PM by Mark M »

Offline TeresaS

• View Profile
Re: Penmanship, Forgiveness and Peace
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2023, 07:32:58 PM »
Faith and forgiveness really do go a long way!
Teresa

Offline KacyBG

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2023, 10:03:38 PM »
Thank you, Mark!
Blessings and enjoy the new fountain pen.

Offline Zivio

• Foment Compassion, Practice Peace
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2023, 10:12:31 PM »
Thank you, Mark, for sharing your story with us — I’m always interested to hear about how people move from Point A to B and so on through their lives. Everyone has a fascinating story! I am cheered to hear that you are able to set certain things from your past aside, forgive those who have hurt you, and work towards something you’ve wanted to learn for such a long time!

May you find much joy and many successes as you step up to the challenges ahead!

~Karl
Foment Compassion, Practice Peace

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2023, 01:02:51 PM »
Dear Mark, my heart ached reading about your schooling experience. I recall some cruel teachers in grade school, especially, and I will never understand how someone can treat children as such and moreover, how they came to be teachers!

As soon as you said you experienced tension and pain and locking up, I knew it was the unreleased emotion from so many years ago. What a gift to have your prayer answered so you can let go of the past and accomplish what your heart desires.

There is an excellent book about this phenomenon by Dr. John Sarno called Healing Back Pain: the Mind Body Connection. It’s more than just back pain included.

I would encourage you to take some time to just PLAY with the fountain pen. Draw some silly pictures, do circular drills. Let your hand and mind become comfortable with the tool. I see my pens as an extension of myself when I write. Let it become your friend. And then you are in the journey together.  :)

Thank you for sharing with us.  :-*
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Cyril Jayant

• View Profile
    • https://twitter.com/jaycyril
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2023, 01:14:16 PM »
Hello Mark, it is a real fun to read your story.
There are many other versions of your stories  that many of us learnt or programmed  into our lives and  we carrying on for the rest of life. So next to our leaning and as the second learning at school will effect and shape of life for the rest of our life.
Thank you for being so brave for  sharing your story and you are not alone.
I also have some thing to share here about myself. :-[ I am very bad at counting and numbers. I hate numbers and I failed in Maths and /mathematics and applied maths in my earlier stage of academy.  So I am very weak in accounting etc.
All those things happened when a primary teacher knocked me harder on my Head while we were in a teaching session. He hurted  me on and he was a narcissistic teacher. So that fear was settled into my genetic as a programme. so I was  carring that  fear as a defence to keep the numbers away from me.  I had discovered it roots  only when I was learning about NLP and found out the memory I carry around through  my life.

Yes it is easy to get rid of those memory in our sells of  body/ mind that could adjust" to new thinking or as Programmes to remove any difficulties  and get to where we want to go next. There are so many books on  NLP ( Neuro -Linguistic Programming )  ( As EX.  This book is my recommendation to read. "NLP the New Technology  Of Achievement " just have a a look at those many books and you can get something helpful  to feed and refresh your mind. So you can arm yourself to kick off all your OLD THINKING THAT runs as programme to move your life.

There are no side effects of doing something differently reading books.  :D ACTUALLY WE NEED THE RIGHT SIDE-EFFCT TO CHANGE OUR MIND SET. Just have a try.
 :P
Just send me a Pm and I can send you some supply Ex. kind of pen/ fountain/ Straight holder/ and some nibs to try. Also a calligraphy book of fun writing/ I have one to give away.  I'll do it free and I'll send it to you  when I am free and when I find time to bundle all together.
I am happy to do that and all you have to do it write some mocking letters  addressing that teacher G and   to showing  by your  own writing to make he / her jealous. ( I think you'll find many ideas From This NLP reading and similar things from some books.

Also if you Have websites/ Face book /Instagrams/ or social media/ to put your written letters someone as  anonymous addressing as written letters your hands will get starting to be easy shuffle and light.  Or you can write the letters and destroy or burn. That works too.
Good luck on learning your wring power and it is not something  given by anyone but gaining by yourself and taming your hand to achieve it.
God is within you  ..  ???   and you have to  find a way tap into  him. 8) Keep writing Mark.  ::)

Offline Mark M

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2023, 02:18:44 PM »
A very big, heartfelt thank you, to all Y'all who have posted such kind and supportive comments and replies to my above posting.
It's really nice to find such a level of understanding and support...!!
God bless Y'all...!!
Mark M

Offline Mark M

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2023, 09:25:33 PM »
@Erica McPhee

Erica, you wrote:
"I would encourage you to take some time to just PLAY with the fountain pen. Draw some silly pictures, do circular drills. Let your hand and mind become comfortable with the tool. I see my pens as an extension of myself when I write. Let it become your friend. And then you are in the journey together."

I like these ideas..!

Also, in the grocery store today, a couple of children's coloring books caught my eye, and I thought perhaps it might be fun to do some coloring with my fountain pens, save for the feathering of ink on that cheap coloring book paper.
I'm wondering, is there such a thing as an adult coloring book, made of fountain pen-friendly paper?
Again, thanks so much..!!
Mark M

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2023, 03:33:00 PM »
Great idea! Drawing and coloring help build muscle memory and strengthen your line quality. There are hundreds of adult coloring books but I don’t know if they have bleed proof paper.

You may also want to look into Zentangles. That is a whole other world created by Maria Thomas, the calligrapher who led me to Spencerian. I find learning the patterns and playing with it really help my calligraphy because again, it improves my line quality.  :)
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Zivio

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2023, 06:19:49 PM »
Since we're on the idea of coloring books, another interesting possibility is "The Reverse Coloring Book" by Kendra Norton. Instead of coloring the spaces as with the usual coloring books, this one presents pages of amorphous water colored spots, and it is up to you to draw lines and shapes around those colors to create, well, whatever you like!

The book is available on Amazon and elsewhere.  People also share their creations on Instagram, where you may search the hashtag #thereversecoloringbook to see examples.

See @ Perrus.pinta and JustAGirlWhoColors Instagrams for inspiration.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2023, 12:30:59 PM by Erica McPhee »

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2023, 12:32:06 PM »
That is brilliant! Very cool idea @Zivio.

(I have removed the images and put links to their Instagrams to adhere to copyright laws.)  :)
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Zivio

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2023, 02:45:42 PM »

… (I have removed the images and put links to their Instagrams to adhere to copyright laws.)  :)

Ah, thanks @Erica McPhee — Wasn’t sure how to do this properly, and now people can see even more of those creators’ goodness!  :)