Author Topic: What is this nib called?  (Read 512 times)

Offline Mark T

• No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot.
    • View Profile
What is this nib called?
« on: November 16, 2023, 08:48:17 AM »
Bit of a 'Know ya onions' type question.
Does anybody know what nib this is?

After some surfing and finding a really good website which show pictures of nibs, I think I have found that the nib is a '404'. It doesn't give detail of its age or if still in production though.

« Last Edit: November 16, 2023, 10:21:11 AM by Mark T »
Laughter is definitely the best medicine, but Wolves destroying WBA runs laughter close, and the Yankees winning the World Series is ................ laughter is the best medicine, remember?

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
Re: What is this nib called?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2023, 06:39:53 PM »
I have never seen that kind before. But, the opening looks a lot like a Hunt 56.
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2023, 09:50:04 AM »

After some surfing and finding a really good website which show pictures of nibs, I think I have found that the nib is a '404'. It doesn't give detail of its age or if still in production though.
@Mark T
Hinks, Wells & Co,  404F

This is an antique nib, note the hand grind and age of box, so not in production anymore.
Most similar to (if not a clone of) the Gillott 404F

Anyone looking to identify (and possibly buy) antique nibs, particularly European nibs, many can be found on this site:
https://shop.kallipos.de/en
from which this photo was taken. Highly recommended.
The G404F is mine.

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2023, 12:16:45 PM »
Thanks @AnasaziWrites ! What kind of lines does it produce?
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Mark T

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2023, 12:56:59 PM »

@Mark T
Hinks, Wells & Co,  404F

This is an antique nib, note the hand grind and age of box, so not in production anymore.
Most similar to (if not a clone of) the Gillott 404F

Anyone looking to identify (and possibly buy) antique nibs, particularly European nibs, many can be found on this site:
https://shop.kallipos.de/en
from which this photo was taken. Highly recommended.
The G404F is mine.

Thank you so much for the replies. The website you mention - is the same website that I found today and have now placed in my favourites.
Over the past couple of weeks I have gone on a purge of buying nibs from ebay so the nib site will be a godsend.
I can now buy with at least a modicum of knowledge to what I'm buying instead of just because of cost or it they look pretty ;D
I have an issue with things I like. I go over the top and buy multiples in haste and in some cases, with regret. ;D ;D ;D
Laughter is definitely the best medicine, but Wolves destroying WBA runs laughter close, and the Yankees winning the World Series is ................ laughter is the best medicine, remember?

Offline Mark T

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2023, 12:59:50 PM »

YAYYYYYYY
I can answer a question I know the answer to.... it's a fine line. Much similar to the buggers I usually unintentionally (sometimes  ;D) cross

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2023, 02:24:01 PM »
@Erica McPhee
@Mark T

Mark is correct--a fine line. Not an extra-fine line though. A Gillott 303 will give you a finer line, and a G170 finer still and better for small script, although a 404 might be better on paper that is soft, where a sharper nib might cut the paper. Not as flexible and stiffer than Spencerian 1 and G604ef. A good nib and more affordable, generally, than the others mentioned.

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2023, 04:10:42 PM »
Thank you @Mark T and @AnasaziWrites

Excellent exemplar - thanks! That is very helpful.  :-*
Warm Regards,
Erica
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline AAAndrew

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • The Steel Pen Blog
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2024, 11:28:18 AM »
This style I've called a "School Pen" in my proposed "Pen Shapes" glossary. https://thesteelpen.com/2018/12/07/pen-shapes-a-proposed-glossary/

Mainly I use this term because the 404, and then Esterbrook's copy, the 444, as well as Hunt's version are all, at one time or another, called School Pens. Miller Brothers also made one, as well as Eagle, and they also used the term School Pen. I suspect the ridge was there to ensure the student didn't push the pen point too far into the holder. But that's just a theory.

Here's Esterbrook's copy of the Gillott. (Esterbrook initially called their copies 303 and 404 until they were sued by Gillott, after which Esterbrook changed the name to the VERY DIFFERENT 333 and 444. I've also attached one of the 404s still being used in a salesman's sample book where it is labeled as a 444. This example is from the early 1870s, not too long after Esterbrook lost the lawsuit.

Check out my steel pen history blog
https://thesteelpen.com/