Author Topic: Rare or not so well known vintage nibs  (Read 8880 times)

Offline Estefa

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Federflug
Re: Rare or not so well known vintage nibs
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2014, 02:09:55 AM »
I have one with a Bullock flange but it doesn't fit … as Heebs said, they have quite different sizes, and these are too big for the flange in my holder …
Stefanie :: Website :: Blog :: Instagram

Offline Estefa

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Federflug
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2014, 08:04:49 AM »
I use them in a crowquill holder - I used it to draw the crows here ;D

I bought mine with the nib attached when I was a young girl in the dark ages, learning calligraphy by candlelight ;) ;) ;) and I didn't even know the nibs came off! I also use it to write the bylines of bigger pieces I do. How about we do a nib exchange - I'll send you some vintage American nibs to exchange for some crowquills? :D

Linda, I remember that post - fantastic!!

What do you mean by bylines? Are these the lines that say who's the author or something like that?

About your proposal – that would be great!! I'll send you a couple of them, I guess they wear out fastly, like most of these smallish nibs do! And if you don't like them you don't have to send anything, really. They just sit here in my cupboard ;).

Offline Estefa

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Federflug
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2014, 08:20:48 AM »
I've added two writing samples to the original post!

Offline SueL

• View Profile
    • Instagram Oliveleafcalli
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2014, 09:04:59 AM »
Crowquills to draw crows. Cool!

Offline Linda Y.

• Super Hero Member
  • Calligra-ninja
    • View Profile
    • my instagram
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2014, 12:31:47 PM »
Linda, I remember that post - fantastic!!

What do you mean by bylines? Are these the lines that say who's the author or something like that?

About your proposal – that would be great!! I'll send you a couple of them, I guess they wear out fastly, like most of these smallish nibs do! And if you don't like them you don't have to send anything, really. They just sit here in my cupboard ;).

Yep, bylines are exactly that. When I do quotes/etc in pointed pen, I like doing the author/writer's name in a different style - lately I've been doing them in Foundational Hand with the crowquill, and I really like how it turns out. It kind of has a little bit of flex so it looks like monoline with just a little bit of variations which I really like.

Thanks Stefanie!  :D

Offline Estefa

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Federflug
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2014, 12:34:14 PM »
Thank you, Linda! Good to know! The ones I have seem quite flexible – you'll see ;)!

Offline Moya

• Super Hero Member
  • all your gold are belong to me
    • View Profile
    • Calligraphy by Moya
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2014, 11:51:21 PM »
I have just today picked up from an antiques shop two of "The Devon Pen No 2134 F" - you can see it on this page, with the little rose http://www.kallipos.de/hinks-wells-und-co.shtml - and it turns out it's a really nice writer! Not much flex, but a lovely fine line. I think I might have to go see if they have any more ...

Vintage nibs are very hard to find here, since we never really had the pen industry of America or Britain; mostly what is available is what was brought for personal use, so there's not a lot. But every now and then I get lucky.