Author Topic: Article on the decline of handwriting  (Read 2691 times)

Offline Lynn Lantz

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
Article on the decline of handwriting
« on: March 29, 2014, 06:27:07 PM »
The NY Times has an article on the general decline of handwriting and penmanship in recent history as displayed by baseball players' autographs - I thought it was an interesting read
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/29/sports/baseball/in-an-era-of-squiggles-you-cant-tell-baseball-the-players-without-a-handwriting-analyst.html?hp&_r=0

Offline Sherry Lu

• View Profile
    • Sherry Lu Photography
Re: Article on the decline of handwriting
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2014, 11:06:27 PM »
That is an interesting read. But yes, I've been noticing that people's handwriting are getting worse. One of my coworkers (who's ~20) really struggles to read cursive writing. And there's talk about eliminating cursive writing from the curriculum (in favour of typing/computers). SAD.

Offline AndyT

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2014, 08:04:59 AM »
I agree, it is sad.  Especially in America where the handwriting tradition is so magnificent.  The Platt Rogers Spencer Memorial dedication video (available at IAMPETH) includes a segment with an interviewee who says that most people compare their handwriting to their parents' and feel mildly ashamed.  And in turn, their parents feel much the same way about previous generation.  That certainly struck a chord with me.

Not that this is anything new: I seem to remember Schin posting a page on her blog from one of the 19th century penmens' journals which includes a diatribe about the dismal handwriting of the young.  A lot more true now than it was then, I'm sure.

Offline Blotbot

• Super Hero Member
  • Follow your bliss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2014, 01:39:27 PM »
I am hoping that the computer age will improve handwriting.  Yes!  The decline of my handwriting occurred when I needed to write a lot and fast.  If writing becomes a more deliberate act, we can focus on the letter forms and it should get better.  That being said, there will always be people who dont have the patience for it.

I dont really consider pro atheletes to be a normal cross section of the population.  I also wonder if nice handwriting was accepted as part of the skills of an educated person, and they wanted to appear educated.

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2014, 10:45:59 PM »
I've gone on and on about this! They don't teach cursive in schools here anymore. However, my oldest learned it in Maine (3rd grade). It was the last year they taught it (2002). She has wonderful handwriting and a great signature. Some of her friends (age 16) have commented, "I wish I knew how to sign my name."  So sad!!!

I kept journals for all three of my kids from the time they were babies and the two younger couldn't read them.  :( I am teaching them American Cursive using Michael Sull's course. Handwriting in general is a MESS! And many kids no longer have the patience to sit and write two sentences. Sadly, I don't think the computer is going to improve any of their handwriting.

Someone posted this article on our guild's facebook page and a few people commented. At least one said, now that we have computers and phones, learning handwriting is a complete waste of time! (He was a friend of one of my friends and had no idea he was posting on a calligrapher's page!).  :o
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline AndyT

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2014, 06:07:05 AM »
On the other hand the computer has improved things immeasurably when it comes to getting information and supplies, and meeting like minded people.  :)  I'm sure that the fountain pen industry would be in dire straits if it weren't for internet marketing, come to think of it.  Those educational policy makers are the real villains of the piece for prioritising typesetting over handwriting, in my heavily biased opinion.

Offline Blotbot

• Super Hero Member
  • Follow your bliss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2014, 10:16:16 AM »
"On the other hand the computer has improved things immeasurably when it comes to getting information and supplies, and meeting like minded people."

Got to agree with Andy.  I dabbled in fountain pens and calligraphy in high school, but couldn't get too far with little money and just what was available locally.  Life is so much better now!  (But I wonder what ever happened to the orange Sheaffer I bought.  My mother probably threw it out.)

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2014, 05:43:55 PM »
I whole heartedly agree. Look at the boon to calligraphy!  :)

This article makes this point, I think. My favorite conclusion, "Focus on handwriting early and often, experts say, print or cursive or both. Then, as kids' brains develop, gently lay the groundwork for typing."

Does the Fight for A Cursive Comeback Miss the Point?
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram