Author Topic: The case for the Oblique Penholder  (Read 168 times)

Offline Ken Fraser

• Super Hero Member
  • Calligrapher
    • View Profile
The case for the Oblique Penholder
« on: April 05, 2024, 07:22:17 AM »
I have recently come across the statement that the Oblique Penholder was invented for Spencerian Script and not Copperplate. As the Oblique Penholder was invented and patented  in England in 1831 and Spencerian script didn't appear until 1840 the writer is clearly mistaken.
To achieve the shaded downstrokes, the nib must point at, or as close to the downstroke as possible, This opens the tines of the nib evenly creating perfect shading. The occasional horizontal stroke is produced by turning the paper. still creating shaded downstrokes. 
Although this is possible with a straight penholder, in order to achieve the nib pointing at the downstroke  the wrist has to be turned to an uncomfortable angle and the paper rotated anti-clockwise, Furthermore, this rotation of the paper means that you are writing virtually uphill, making assessment of the lettering unnecessarily difficult. On the contrary, with the aid of the Oblique Holder it's possible to write for a long time without stress,
These illustrations show the tines opening evenly on the angle of the downstrokes.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2024, 07:29:35 AM by Ken Fraser »

Offline Gary

• View Profile
Re: The case for the Oblique Penholder
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2024, 09:04:32 AM »
And of course, for a left-handed person like me, it is easier to achieve the correct angle with a straight penholder.

Gary

Offline Ken Fraser

• Super Hero Member
  • Calligrapher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2024, 09:34:15 AM »
And of course, for a left-handed person like me, it is easier to achieve the correct angle with a straight penholder.

Gary

Absolutely right. The left-handed scribes are at a definite advantage when writing sloping scripts.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2024, 09:40:54 AM by Ken Fraser »

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2024, 09:28:34 PM »
Completely agree. Why do you think @Ken Fraser that so many in Europe do not use an oblique pen holder?

@Gary - a lot of lefties now use a right handed oblique holder in their left hand. I think it depends on your hand hold and how you write.
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Masgrimes

• Freshman Member
  • Enjoying the process.
    • View Profile
    • Masgrimes Studio
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2024, 11:06:46 PM »
Hey Ken!

Just adding a link to the Sampson Mordan patent being discussed: https://thesteelpen.com/2017/10/27/origins-of-the-oblique-pen-and-oblique-holder/

One other benefit of the oblique penholder that I find useful for writing Roundhand is that the flange can inclined independently from the staff. This allows for the pen to be held at a lower angle to the paper than is typically possible with other types of holders.
David Grimes — Penman

Offline Ken Fraser

• Super Hero Member
  • Calligrapher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2024, 05:03:34 AM »
Completely agree. Why do you think @Ken Fraser that so many in Europe do not use an oblique pen holder?
I wasn't aware of that. I certainly wouldn't want to be without mine!

Offline Ken Fraser

• Super Hero Member
  • Calligrapher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2024, 05:08:38 AM »
One other benefit of the oblique penholder that I find useful for writing Roundhand is that the flange can inclined independently from the staff. This allows for the pen to be held at a lower angle to the paper than is typically possible with other types of holders.
That's a good point. This adaptability means that the Oblique penholder can be modified to suit individual hands,
« Last Edit: April 06, 2024, 07:26:06 AM by Ken Fraser »

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2024, 02:42:49 PM »
Thanks for sharing that with us David @Masgrimes ! Fascinating. @AAAndrew is always such a wealth of information!

Another benefit of an oblique, I feel, is that the micro "give" of the brass flange allows a little bit more of the calligrapher's energy to be expressed in the writing. With a straight holder, the nib is inserted into the wood or acrylic holder which does not allow this micro-spring. As anyone who has swung a sewing needle on a thread from their finger tips using only just their thoughts can attest, these micro movements have energy!  ;D
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Gary

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2024, 08:49:24 AM »

@Gary - a lot of lefties now use a right handed oblique holder in their left hand. I think it depends on your hand hold and how you write.
The Master Penman John DeCollibus is probably the most famous example. He turns the paper a full ninety degrees to execute certain letters.