Author Topic: Charles Schulz "Peanuts" favorite nib and holder  (Read 5198 times)

Offline schin

• Super Hero Member
  • Las Vegas
    • View Profile
    • Openinkstand
Charles Schulz "Peanuts" favorite nib and holder
« on: August 27, 2015, 07:01:46 PM »
I came across this and thought it's super interesting... this beloved American artist uses a humble Esterbrook 914 Radio nib.. and the famous story is that he loves this nib so much that when Esterbrook went out of business, he bought out their remaining stock, hundreds of boxes enough to last him a lifetime!

You can see it in action here:

OPENINKSTAND // website | blog |instagramyoutube

Offline Milonguera

• View Profile
    • Instagram,  My blog
Re: Charles Schulz "Peanuts" favorite nib and holder
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2015, 07:27:52 PM »
Very cool.  Now I want to try one of them just to see what it does.  Damn you, Schin.   :D
Debbie

Offline Bianca M

• Super Hero Member
  • Tempus Fugit
    • View Profile
    • Bianca Mascorro Calligraphy & Art
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2015, 07:55:57 PM »
I have driven by this museum many many times... never been in. But, this may change that!

Offline Briana

• Love is all you need!
    • View Profile
    • Pickles 'N Voda
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2015, 10:36:53 PM »
How cool! I have always LOVED Peanuts-- as a kid my mom (who is an accountant) used to bring home old giant pads of ledger paper that were meant for use in a big printer (I don't know the exact name of them, but they had perforated edges and yellow copy paper behind them). I would take the Sunday comics and redraw a panel from the Peanuts strip at like 10 times the size. No idea why I loved this so much, but I did it constantly. I had about 15 years of Sunday comics stacked on a shelf before my dad, who was a volunteer Red Cross fire response team leader, made me recycle them because they were a huge fire hazard :(

Now I work in Santa Rosa where Charles Schultz is from :D There're statues of Peanuts characters all over the place, and my office has a giant statue of Joe Cool pretending to be a surveyor, haha.

Sorry for the story vomit, but I just love cartoons <3
Briana, aka Pickles 'N Vodka-- landscape designer, aspiring calligrapher, top-notch goofball
(facebook | 365 Messages of Love)

Offline Briana

• Love is all you need!
    • View Profile
    • Pickles 'N Voda
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2015, 10:37:39 PM »
I have driven by this museum many many times... never been in. But, this may change that!

Where do you live? I feel like you must be very, very close to me... Maybe we could have a meet-up some time!
Briana, aka Pickles 'N Vodka-- landscape designer, aspiring calligrapher, top-notch goofball
(facebook | 365 Messages of Love)

Offline Jennifer J

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2015, 11:13:39 PM »
That's so neat! I am in that area about once a year and have never gone there either. Maybe next year!
Jennifer

My instagram @topazwave

Offline Linda Y.

• Super Hero Member
  • Calligra-ninja
    • View Profile
    • my instagram
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2015, 12:01:40 AM »
I stopped by the Schultz museum on my honeymoon many years ago, it was awesome!! Loved the giftshop especially.

Great story Schin - do you have an Esterbrook 914?

Offline jeanwilson

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Pushing the Envelopes
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2015, 08:27:54 AM »
Another detail about Charles Schulz:
Almost everyone (in the states) has seen the ads for the *Draw Me* correspondence art school.
I thought of it the other day and Googled it to see if it was still in business - and it is.
It is based out of Minneapolis and Charles Schultz was a graduate of the school and also a teacher until he could support himself on his cartoons.

I thought it was very interesting that the school is *old school* (learn how to draw - no digital art) and still in business.
The way the school is run would be an interesting model for a calligraphy correspondence school.
More about the school:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Art_Instruction_Schools

More about Charles Schultz:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_M._Schulz

Offline FlowerCityLetters

• View Profile
    • Flower City Letters
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2015, 08:58:45 AM »
How cool! I have always LOVED Peanuts-- as a kid my mom (who is an accountant) used to bring home old giant pads of ledger paper that were meant for use in a big printer (I don't know the exact name of them, but they had perforated edges and yellow copy paper behind them). I would take the Sunday comics and redraw a panel from the Peanuts strip at like 10 times the size. No idea why I loved this so much, but I did it constantly. I had about 15 years of Sunday comics stacked on a shelf before my dad, who was a volunteer Red Cross fire response team leader, made me recycle them because they were a huge fire hazard :(

Now I work in Santa Rosa where Charles Schultz is from :D There're statues of Peanuts characters all over the place, and my office has a giant statue of Joe Cool pretending to be a surveyor, haha.

Sorry for the story vomit, but I just love cartoons <3

I loved reading this! What a great thing to do as a kid :).

Tanks for sharing Schin - this is mega cool, I had no idea.

Offline flummoxed

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2015, 09:51:18 AM »
Thanks Schin and Jean! Always nice to read these interesting stories. There has been a resurgence of "art" schools here in India.

Offline AAAndrew

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • The Steel Pen Blog
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2015, 11:24:00 AM »
Very cool.  Now I want to try one of them just to see what it does.  Damn you, Schin.   :D

The 914 is really just a re-issue of the Esterbrook #14 Bank Pen but with the coating that distinguised the "Radio Pens."

I really like the 14. It's big, lays down a fine line but also has a bit of flex. It's also very durable. While the 914 is harder to find and always gets a premium because of the connection, the #14 is more common and cheaper.

Just don't buy them all up because I still want to get some more. I have 3 and use one fairly regularly for regular, daily writing like letters.
Check out my steel pen history blog
https://thesteelpen.com/