Author Topic: De-stashing vintage nibs, stationery and stuff on ebay  (Read 4024 times)

Offline schin

• Super Hero Member
  • Las Vegas
    • View Profile
    • Openinkstand
De-stashing vintage nibs, stationery and stuff on ebay
« on: September 08, 2015, 04:53:38 PM »
Hi everyone,

I am de-stashing some stuff on ebay to raise some funds.

Here is the link: http://www.ebay.com/sch/lucioleloong/m.html?isRefine=true&_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=&_mwBanner=1

So far I have listed a box of Esterbrook assorted nibs (357, 358, 354, 355), a box of 354s.

I don't know what nibs to list specifically so I also listed some random sought after nibs in a lot, vintage 303s, spencerian 1s, 357, 358 etc.

Also included is a box of loose stuff, some nibs, various papers and stationery which are Spencerian and OP friendly, vintage stamps and ink etc. I thought this would be useful for those who would like to try samples of papers and things. Stuff like Conquerer sheets, vintage onion skin letterheads, Crane or Crown Mill stationery...

I don't know what anyone is looking for specifically, but I have vintage nibs if you want to make  a reasonable offer. I'm not looking to gauge anyone but I still would like to make some money for my fundraising. I am happy to make tests for nibs if you want to see how they perform... some less popular vintage nibs are very good!

I also have old collectors stuff like copybooks, art, maybe even a vintage penholder. You can browse through my blog openinkstand.wordpress.com and see if anything catches your eye.

What I would really like to get rid of is stationery! Would anyone be interested in more boxes of loose stationery and stuff?
OPENINKSTAND // website | blog |instagramyoutube

Offline AnasaziWrites

• Super Hero Member
  • Ad astra, per aspera
    • View Profile
Re: De-stashing vintage nibs, stationery and stuff on ebay
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2015, 06:11:51 PM »
Hi everyone,

I am de-stashing some stuff on ebay to raise some funds.

Great idea. I should try it.
I'll pm you.

Offline Empty_of_Clouds

• Seeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2015, 01:49:24 AM »
It's a nice idea, but for people in my decile an auction is basically off limits. I have to buy nibs in dribs and drabs for fixed prices. It's been a bit frustrating because essentially it means a lot of the interesting nibs are not accessible.

However, I wish you well with the auction. I may bring popcorn and watch for while!  :)

Offline schin

• Super Hero Member
  • Las Vegas
    • View Profile
    • Openinkstand
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2015, 02:27:51 PM »
It's a nice idea, but for people in my decile an auction is basically off limits. I have to buy nibs in dribs and drabs for fixed prices. It's been a bit frustrating because essentially it means a lot of the interesting nibs are not accessible.

However, I wish you well with the auction. I may bring popcorn and watch for while!  :)

Well once the auction ends I will have a better idea on pricing. As far as interesting nibs, oh I have very many of 'unknown' nibs, but people seem to only want famous nibs like 303, 357, spencerian 1 etc. If you are willing to try the more unknown nibs like 444, spencerian 2, palmer 9 or similar I do have them.

Offline Empty_of_Clouds

• Seeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2015, 08:31:36 PM »
Well once the auction ends I will have a better idea on pricing. As far as interesting nibs, oh I have very many of 'unknown' nibs, but people seem to only want famous nibs like 303, 357, spencerian 1 etc. If you are willing to try the more unknown nibs like 444, spencerian 2, palmer 9 or similar I do have them.

I get that. Of course, if I find a nib and I like using it then that could be all the qualification needed. When I hear people enthusing about other nibs though, I wonder if I am missing something important. Not knowing is like an itch!

Offline AAAndrew

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • The Steel Pen Blog
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2015, 10:55:49 PM »
I'm really liking the 444 but love the 453, Business and College pen. They don't go for much when you see them but are better than any modern G nib I have.

Good luck! I'll keep an eye out.
Check out my steel pen history blog
https://thesteelpen.com/

Offline rebeccasinnen

• View Profile
    • Hadassah Calligraphy
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2015, 12:11:24 AM »
Did someone say Palmer #9's???  You need to PM me if you want to get rid of those little bad boys!!!  I love them...need them...they make my life complete...

Offline flummoxed

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2015, 02:17:01 AM »
Those Esterbrook 354 are particularly tempting as I've begun to enjoy them. I was introduced to them by Prasad as a gift and then got another traveller to carry them home for me. The shipping costs to India and the agonizing wait with the customs here is what is holding me back.

Offline sybillevz

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2015, 03:14:42 AM »
 ::)
I'll have to try some of these nibs some day... But then I'm afraid I might like them a bit too much...

Offline schin

• Super Hero Member
  • Las Vegas
    • View Profile
    • Openinkstand
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2015, 01:53:27 AM »
AAAndrew: I don't think I've tried the 453, but yes the 444 is a pretty solid nib. I don't know if I would compare it to the G though, they're both pretty different to me.

Rebecca: Awesome! I'll PM you and let's work out a trade.. you know what I like!

flummoxed: They're fun little nibs indeed, and I enjoy them for copperplate or shaded writing. I don't see why it would take too long to India though, but I don't know the postal system there.

sybillevz: What are you using now?

Offline Empty_of_Clouds

• Seeker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2015, 03:47:27 AM »
A handful of Plume Gauloise 750EF just turned up.  Anyone tried these?

AAAndrew, I will have a look for the 453s, under your recommendation!

Offline flummoxed

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2015, 05:24:13 AM »
The post office has been pretty reliable, any package (not a letter) we receive in India from outside the country goes through the Customs Office. They tend to take their own sweet time and based on their discrimination (since some of the customs laws are archaic), they levy a customs duty. So far, it has been a hit and miss for me, I've had to to pay a nominal or prescribed customs duty, send packages back because of exhorbitant customs duty and have received packages without a hassle.

Sorry, should have explained it better in the previous post.

Offline sybillevz

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2015, 07:39:28 AM »
@Empty-of-Clouds : The Plume Gauloise is really nice ! Very similar to the Départementale Cémentée (2552).

@ Schin, I'm using the french 2552 mostly as they are the easiest and cheapest for me to find here. I also use *any* G nib for copperplate.
I was in love with the EF principal for a long time, but the quality changed and I got mad at it...  ;D
That's it, mostly. I didn't really like the modern 303, but I hear the vintage one might be nice...  ::)

Offline schin

• Super Hero Member
  • Las Vegas
    • View Profile
    • Openinkstand
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2015, 01:40:18 PM »
Clouds: The 750EF is lovely indeed and well made.

Sybillevz: Oh good! I don't think you'll like the modern 303s, but I'll send you a vintage 303 if you want to try.. it is completely different from the modern 303s

flummoxed: Yikes! I'm sorry to hear about that. We experience something similar in Malaysia, if the value of the package is high, customs will hold it back for 'taxes'... a nice way of asking for bribery money to release the package.

Offline sybillevz

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2015, 03:24:36 PM »
Oh, that is so nice of you Schin ! And I already have to thank you for other things as well... I'll have to think of a way to express my gratitude !!
(Other than nibs and stationary, as you seem to have enough of that already...  ::))