Author Topic: Hello from Arizona - New member  (Read 428 times)

Offline StealeyBL

• View Profile
Hello from Arizona - New member
« on: September 01, 2018, 04:12:41 AM »
Hello

I'm not a brand new member but have been a member for about 8 weeks or so.  I'm so looking forward to getting through the site, and seeing all the exciting posts, etc., in order to enhance my calligraphy experience.

I am a former constitutional lawyer for the DOJ, in Washington, DC. I worked there for over 35 years, having retired about 5 years ago.  My husband and I have been looking forward to retirement, but unfortunately, he was diagnosed with terminal cancer and we are now facing that challenge on a daily basis.  As a result, I needed something to do not only when we are at doctor appointments but also when I'm home that requires concentration.  I have always loved calligraphy, and it fits the bill for concentration, so I started "writing" about a year ago.  I'm completely self-taught, as I've not really found a source for copperplate instruction, and affordable at the same time.  With my husband being ill, and being on a fixed income, we are not able to spend hundreds of dollars for classes.  I am not able to leave my husband for days at a time either, as I'm his caregiver. 

I feel like I'm studying a lot, and learning a lot from videos etc., but I would love to have someone work with me for 30 minutes or so, just to tell me what needs to be changed or corrected.  I really would like to be able to market myself soon. Phoenix and Scottsdale are very large, but apparently, there are not all that many calligraphers here.  Those that are here, are mainly in the "modern calligraphy" category.  I think with copperplate etc., I could possibly work into some work here.   Anyway, I read that you possibly have a way to help me with that?

I know you asked to keep this short, so I will.  I would love to speak with you sometime.  I have looked at your work product and it is stunningly beautiful.  You are gifted.  Thank you for working to keep this forum up and running.  It is a great place to read other viewpoints, etc.   

Again, Hello,

Brenda

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
Re: Hello from Arizona - New member
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2018, 02:01:10 PM »
Hi Brenda,
I'm sorry for my late reply but I didn't see this message under the other post so broke it out to its own Intro.

I am very sorry to hear about your husband's diagnosis. My father recently passed away after four long years of treatments. It is taxing on both the patient and his/her caregiver. It's nice to have an activity like calligraphy to both relax you and be a source of comfort.

I would recommend getting in touch with Schin Loong (@schin). She does mentoring for calligraphers and gives excellent feedback. She does a correspondence class through the mail.

Thank you for your kind words and welcome to Flourish!
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram