Author Topic: Supply drive for the Philippines  (Read 8660 times)

Offline joi

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • www.bienfaitcalligraphy.com
Supply drive for the Philippines
« on: June 18, 2014, 12:39:57 PM »
hello all - inspired by Mr. Christopher Yoke and all you supply hoarders here, I am starting a supplies drive for all the lovely calligraphers that would love some of our cast offs.  If it's not something that you want to trade for in The Trading Post (thanks Schin!) then message me and i will give you my address.  I'm thinking i will give it about a month or 2 to collect items: nibs, holders, inks, washi tape, pencils, rulers, whatever it is, i'm sure somebody will put it to good use!

thanks all!!!

Offline Linda Y.

• Super Hero Member
  • Calligra-ninja
    • View Profile
    • my instagram
Re: Supply drive for the Philippines
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2014, 12:46:40 PM »
Just want to chime in that there is Daiso and stationary stores a-plenty in the big cities - it's the more American/European/vintage stuff that is hard to find. So I'd probably not include washi tapes or pencils or rulers...

Offline joi

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2014, 12:50:05 PM »
@linday - good to know thanks!  i don't know what a Dasio is...and maybe i'm lucky that there are not any around me.
i am awaiting a wish list and will update this thread!

Offline schin

• Super Hero Member
  • Las Vegas
    • View Profile
    • Openinkstand
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2014, 01:14:01 PM »
Maybe the Filipino members can give us a better idea of what is needed and hard to find? I don't want us to send stuff like sumi inks or paper that is readily available there.
OPENINKSTAND // website | blog |instagramyoutube

Offline inkcatcher

• SIENNE
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2014, 01:19:00 PM »
Wow! You're sending stuff here? To who Ate Joi? Sooo lucky! you guys are the kindest!  :) I'm sure they'll appreciate it so much since it's so hard to get stuff here!

Ate Schin,
It's hard to get nibs here. There are only 2 known online shops. Holders and inks are also very limited thats why most result to gouache (which is not that bad  ;)). Stationaries, envelopes, and paper that can hold calligraphy ink are also very limited thats why people use 100GSM bond papers. Hope that helps?
Hi! My name is Sienne (Si-yen/ Shen).
Instagram | Website | Pen Meet Manila

Offline Nickkih

• Be Brave
    • View Profile
    • Amore Paper and Ink
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2014, 01:24:50 PM »
I'm in. I would love to see the list when you receive it. I can get hunt 101 nibs locally and some other items.
Mom, Grandma, and Calligrapher

Offline joi

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2014, 01:34:47 PM »
nibs are at the top of the list, and i have lots to toss in myself.

Offline AmyNeub

• View Profile
    • 5th Floor Designs & Calligraphy
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2014, 01:49:36 PM »
I would love to help. Does PIA ship to Philippines directly? Their shipping info doesn't really say.

Offline joi

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2014, 02:05:30 PM »
amy - i'm pretty sure PIA does, because i think i recall complaints about how expensive shipping is.  and i checked USPS for shipping rates to the Philippines.  for me to spend $25 to ship a box that could bring so much calligraphy joy to others is money well spent.  i also have a UPS business account so will check rates there as well.
i think half the battle is coordinating it all.  so i'm volunteering to be the hub.  send your stuff to me and i will do the rest.

also, for anyone in the US...you can cut a piece of cardboard to fit into a standard envelope.  put your nibs inside the cardboard, put a regular stamp on it and put it in the post to me.  easy peasy!

Offline Heebs

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2014, 02:14:06 PM »
I believe you just have to keep the weight to under 4lb, heavier than that and the price (and amount of forms your have to fill out) doubles.

Offline joi

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2014, 02:21:10 PM »
yep, so i'm thinking if we stick to nibs and i'm probably going to throw in a dozen speedball plastic holders and maybe some walnut crystals that would be good.
but i still need to hear what they really want.

Offline Faeleia

• Bloop
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2014, 05:32:05 AM »
Man. Don't get me started on shipping. I literally add and take out things, exchange for different weights just to see the shipping costs and have to plan carefully before buying from PIA, because 1 extra nib can mean tipping the weight to the next category. :/

Is a new scribe going to be formed in Philippines? Then wouldn't it be better if we contacted the people in the scribe to ask what they need, and what can be purchased there?

Offline Milonguera

• View Profile
    • Instagram,  My blog
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2014, 08:03:27 AM »
Yay, Joi!  I'd been thinking about this but didn't know how to make it work.  Seems like you have done so. 

Folks, if Joi amasses a lot of goodies, might we also consider chiming in with $$ for postage?  This stuff can get kind of heavy, especially if there's paper included and a bunch of us contribute. 

Debbie
Debbie

Offline joi

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2014, 08:21:38 AM »
good morning all - to those that have committed and/or have sent items - thank you very much.  thank you for trusting me to ensure our goodies will get where they need to go.
i have received some offline messages about this and will answer the questions here for all:

1.  my intentions - i know all of you do not know me personally, but my intentions were innocent and come from my desire to help others, period.  i regularly volunteer my time in my community, from serving at soup kitchens, donating food for the local pantry, to volunteering as a member of the Parent Board at our church preschool.  i have nothing to gain from this supply drive other than the smile it will give me to share my love of calligraphy with others.  this is not some plot by me to hoard supplies and resell them on Ebay for my personal financial gain (really?). 

2.  why did i pick the Philippines?  there are others who do not have easy access to supplies as well?  is this fair to them?
i did not set out to pick the Philippines.  this was idea was hatched in another thread.  someone said he was sending a box of some nibs and holders, and i offered to send some of my unused nibs as well.  and then instead of saddling said person with waiting for and adding my items and adding to the weight of his parcel (because if he had more than the 4lbs, then he would still have stuff to send, etc...).  i was the one who put the thought of a supply drive out there and i am a person that follows through on what i put out.  if you happen to live in a part of the world where supplies are hard to come by, i am very sorry.  if you would like to start a supply drive for yourself, by all means have at it.  is what i'm doing unfair to some?  sure.  but i also live in a world that is not fair, period.  is it fair that millions of children are hungry each day?  is it fair that millions of animals are put down because they can't find homes?  oh yes, both my dogs have been rescue dogs.  people, i'm talking about some nibs, some walnut crystals, and some plastic holders.  i'm not trying to change the world or make it a fair place.  i'm just a bored stay at home mom who wants to send someone my unused nibs.

3.  the logistics - the beauty of having someone else volunteer to coordinate the details is that YOU DON'T HAVE TO DO IT!  if you feel like you could manage a supply drive in some other fashion, go right ahead and let me know what is needed.  but if you are not willing to be the lead, then don't criticize me for my decisions.  this is not a food and medical supplies drop to some war torn country.  nibs, people, nibs!

If this is sounding like a rant, well then i guess it is.  nothing but good intentions from me and i apologize to anyone i have offended.  if you want to participate, great.  if not, then just please go to the next thread.

If you are in, i will be communicating offline from here on out. 
« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 08:39:58 AM by joi »

Offline Faeleia

• Bloop
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2014, 08:45:41 AM »
Oh gosh. I hope it wasn't my post that set this off. I read somewhere in the hoarding thread that there was gonna be a new group forming in Philippines, so I thought, surely, there has to be a representative recipient person who would know what they would need and that would narrow the items suitable for donation down! But anyway, all the best of luck to coordinating this whole donation drive! It's going to be hard work and will take months; that's really respectable imo.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 08:50:28 AM by Faeleia »