Author Topic: The bad stuff: hand pain!  (Read 8019 times)

Offline Moya

• Super Hero Member
  • all your gold are belong to me
    • View Profile
    • Calligraphy by Moya
The bad stuff: hand pain!
« on: September 07, 2014, 08:38:08 PM »
So I've been working really really hard with calligraphy this year ... and just in the last two weeks, I've started to have some dramas in my fingers and wrist ...   :o :(

What are your best hot tips for this? I know I can't be alone!

I'm thinking what I need to do is:  pay more attention to my posture;  relax my grip a little; take regular breaks.  (And see a doctor just to check in.  I can't take risks with my hands, I need them too much!)

How do you guys handle it? What else should I be doing?

Offline Faeleia

• Bloop
    • View Profile
Re: The bad stuff: hand pain!
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2014, 10:02:39 PM »
I never had hand pain (unless I was trying to force some unnatural hand-grip). Maybe you are gripping your holder too tight? Or maybe it's not the right kind of holder (I have one that has such a tiny grip I seldom use it).

If the pain is here to stay then you know what they say about Artists, "I pain(t) with my emotions *wistful look*. Channel your PAIN into your artworks, and let them be pieces of your emotion captured on paper, once it's done, set them free... Whoo.."

::)

Or you can try some muscle pain relief gel and use the RICE advise for sprained limbs (Rest, Ice, C..alligraphy?, E......lephant?)

Offline Moya

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Calligraphy by Moya
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2014, 10:23:11 PM »
That's it! I have to elephant!  ;D ;D

Offline patweecia

• View Profile
    • Patty Paperie
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2014, 10:38:13 PM »
just take a break :) like a really long one until you feel like your entire body has rested, and not just your hand. 

and maybe you can add more cushion on the holders (like wrap it with a thin cloth or something)?

patricia
instagram    |   blog    |   facebook

Offline WJTury

• Freshman Member
  • All Things Hand Lettering
    • View Profile
    • Airbrush Art Studio
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2014, 10:55:51 PM »
Try a squealing a squishy ball, like for computer users.
At work, I do computer drafting (non-stop) and the sponge foam ball really helps relieve cramping in my wrist and forearm.

Offline Moya

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Calligraphy by Moya
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2014, 11:02:37 PM »
ooh, good thinking on the squishy ball and wider pen grips.

I thought that it might be computer-related at first, since my day job is very heavy computer use, but then I've been doing this job for many years - the only thing that's changed is how intensively I practice calligraphy.  So I'm hoping I can keep it at bay - it's not as if it's possible to stop doing calligraphy.  I mean, that's not an option. ;)

Offline Estefa

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Federflug
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2014, 02:30:24 AM »
I have also read some calligraphers suggest to make some 'warm-ups' not with the writing itself, but for the hands – like shakimng them, closing and opening, etc. – I think this is probably something similar like with the foam ball. Sounds good to me! Hope it helps, Moya!! I had this while working on my exam (a book with lots and lots of tiny handlettering and illustrations), and it helps to have regular breaks and relaxation.
Stefanie :: Website :: Blog :: Instagram

Offline Moya

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Calligraphy by Moya
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2014, 03:03:14 AM »
I have also read some calligraphers suggest to make some 'warm-ups' not with the writing itself, but for the hands – like shakimng them, closing and opening, etc. – I think this is probably something similar like with the foam ball. Sounds good to me! Hope it helps, Moya!! I had this while working on my exam (a book with lots and lots of tiny handlettering and illustrations), and it helps to have regular breaks and relaxation.

Ooh, that is a good idea too - thank you!

Offline Olive & Reid

• Supporting calligraphy in the UK
    • View Profile
    • Olive and Reid Studio
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2014, 06:17:26 AM »
Sorry to hear that, Moya. I've always wondered whether I would suffer any ill effects from calligraphy like this, and really appreciate the tips others have shared with you. I hope they help! For my part, I also wanted to share a recent issue that's come up.

Five years ago, when working in a job that required some repetitive lifting above my head, I suffered severe shoulder bursitis (required a cortisone injection) in both shoulders. I haven't really had any problems with it since, until I recently finished a batch of calligraphed envelopes. There are a couple of factors at play, but this is one recent variable that seems to have been the trigger. It makes me a bit sad that calligraphy could be the cause of my shoulder pain, but fortunately I've found some shoulder strengthening exercises (and applying ice) that are designed to prevent this problem. Sounds like from Estefa and WJTury's comments that this strengthening and warm ups are important for hands and fingers, too. Think I'll try (but I'm pretty bad at sticking to these kinds of things) add that to my list of strengthening exercises.

Offline Annie

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2014, 01:00:24 PM »
I was trying to finish up an large volume envelope job over labor day weekend and the back of my hand started hurting pretty bad, I ended up doing some hot/cold compresses. After about a day or so it stopped hurting but I think from now on I'll spread out the number of envelopes done each day. Also I think working on a lighter grip might help. I no longer have a death grip but I'm still pretty heavy handed
-an over enthusiastic newbie
http://instagram.com/tewshortforu

Offline Salman Khattak

• View Profile
    • Toronto Pen Company
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2014, 02:24:59 PM »
Moya - the first, and most important, thing to do is take a break from Calligraphy until the pain goes away completely - and then wait a couple of days more just to make sure. I know it is going to be really really hard but you have to stick to it.

Now for a few questions: How many hours have you been putting in? Are you doing any other activity that could contribute to fatigue in the hands and fingers (e.g. wood carving for me, taking notes etc.)?

Some general advice:

Now may be a good time to evaluate your desk setup and posture. A desk set up for your computer is usually too high for writing. Your chair should be such that you can put both feet flat on the floor. This not only makes for a stable base (which helps greatly with Calligraphy), it helps with the blood flow to lower legs by taking pressure off the back of the thighs. With the chair adjusted, your desk should be no higher than your elbows when sitting with a straight back - about half an inch (1 cm) below the elbows works best.

This set up takes care of most posture related issues. You can take a lot of pressure off your neck by using a writing slope for broad edged work.

A standing desk is also an option and is great for allowing free arm movement. You can try it out by stacking a box or two on top of your desk to see how you feel about it. I was very pleasantly surprised.

Now for the wrist and fingers - this is most likely caused by a less than optimal grip and writing motion. Since you have mostly been working with pointed pen, I am sure that muscular movement and a thicker holder (grip can be built up with tape or cloth) will help. It will take you a week of exercises just to get comfortable with this but this is something that will stand you in good stead for the rest of your Calligraphy career. I'd say a week is worth it. Study the drills for the Business Hand and for the Palmer method. These drills were designed to enable people to write 8 hours a day every day - and they worked.

Also, schedule regular breaks and make sure you take them - 5 minutes every half an hour is minimum. Get up and leave your desk during the breaks - using your computer does not count as a break :-)

Be careful with bending your neck  - this can cause problems too if done for extended periods of time. I started having a tingling feeling shoot from my shoulder to the tips of my fingers and stay there for a bit. It took me a while to figure out what was causing it. A few days of rest fixed it.

I hope this is of some benefit and you get over the pain soon so we can continue to enjoy your beautiful Calligraphy.

Regards,
Salman
I have an opinion and I'm not afraid to use it.

Copperplate Tutorial :: Toronto Pen Company

Offline JanisTX

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2014, 02:30:39 PM »
Hi, Moya!

I have a bad neck, as a result of a fall many years ago.  It got really bad in July, after I addressed 250 invitations in Italic. - I was using a light box & it is brightest up at the top.  I had an insert in the envelopes and I was having to stretch my neck and hand to letter up at the top of the light box.  (I got a light pad for my birthday - my birthday is TODAY - so at least I won't have that problem again!)  Acupuncture works for me!  I have to drive 120 miles (each way) to get to a Chinese acupuncturist, but after 3 visits, I'm 100% better!  My acupuncture doc uses electricity through the needles and that gives me the best result.  If you keep having hand pain, look for a Chinese acupuncturist to see if you can get relief from him/her!!  (I'm recommending a Chinese acupuncture doctor because here in the States, chiropractors and massage therapists can go to a weekend clinic & become "certified" as an acupuncturist.  I think you'll get a better result from someone who studied it in medical school, rather than a weekend spent in some resort ballroom!

Offline Moya

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Calligraphy by Moya
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2014, 08:03:26 PM »
A ... a break?  From calligraphy?  No, I'm sorry, you lost me with that one, what are you trying to imply?  :o :o :o

No, I know you're right, though - I have been trying to go easy but it clearly isn't enough.  I didn't pick up a pen yesterday, and I'll try to do the same again for as many days as it takes.  :-[ :(

Thank you everyone so much for your suggestions!  I will put as many of them into practice as I possibly can.  Especially the muscular movement exercises.  It's going to be hard, I think ... but I just can't risk doing any further damage. 

(Happy birthday Janis!!! There is a little something in the mail for you ... well, okay, it's still on my desk at home at the moment, but it will be in the mail soon!)

Offline Moya

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
    • Calligraphy by Moya
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2014, 08:13:04 PM »
Now for a few questions: How many hours have you been putting in? Are you doing any other activity that could contribute to fatigue in the hands and fingers (e.g. wood carving for me, taking notes etc.)?

Several hours a night, I think, on top of my typing-heavy day job.  Other activities: studying - I study in a terrible posture and I need to fix that; more computer work at home with the PS magazine; hmmm, I don't do much else with my hands. A little bit of guitar playing, sometimes. 

I suspect it might be more to do with posture - maybe I'll focus on my slant-board broad pen work for a while. Don't want to miss the exchange!

Get up and leave your desk during the breaks - using your computer does not count as a break :-)

whaaaat!!! :o

(;))

(Thanks again Salman - really useful!)

Offline patweecia

• View Profile
    • Patty Paperie
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2014, 10:47:17 PM »
A ... a break?  From calligraphy?  No, I'm sorry, you lost me with that one, what are you trying to imply?  :o :o :o

haha moya i imagine you flipping the table with this one  ;D
patricia
instagram    |   blog    |   facebook