Author Topic: KAIMEI CARBON BASED BLACK (JAPANESE) INK  (Read 5947 times)

Offline penstaff

• View Profile
KAIMEI CARBON BASED BLACK (JAPANESE) INK
« on: August 10, 2015, 08:44:53 PM »
Haven't seen it listed so thought I'd 2 cents worth of Kaimei ink. If you haven't tried it yet - it's a must! Gives very fine lines and dries waterproof! It isn't sold by all stores, but if you find it you will be delighted, and the smell will want you to drink it (BUT DON'T)! Discovered it many years ago while visiting San Francisco's Chinatown and fell in love with it and used it for all my black work. It even sits on top of the paper giving a raised effect with a slight shine. Don't take my word for it - try it yourself and prove me wrong. Also gives beautiful brush strokes.

Offline Milonguera

• View Profile
    • Instagram,  My blog
Re: KAIMEI CARBON BASED BLACK (JAPANESE) INK
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2015, 09:11:37 PM »
Ok, Harvey.  You have my attention.  Who makes it, what's it look like and since it "isn't sold by all stores," where can you get it??
Debbie

Offline Linda Y.

• Super Hero Member
  • Calligra-ninja
    • View Profile
    • my instagram
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2015, 12:15:44 PM »
Looks like JetPens.com carries it :) Harvey, you'll have to tell us which one it is.

http://www.jetpens.com/search?q=kaimei&v=2
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 12:17:39 PM by Linda Y. »

Offline Blotbot

• Super Hero Member
  • Follow your bliss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2015, 07:42:11 PM »
Oh great ! Another ink to buy!  How does it compare to sumi inks?

Offline penstaff

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2015, 11:56:39 PM »
to all: Kaimei ink is far superior to the Sumi (which is o.k.), but will not eat the nib up as Sumi will. Plus on every paper I tried it on it worked beautifully. What other ink is available that sits up on the paper, dries to shine, will not eat your pens, and smells great? And if that isn't enough, being carbon based will photograph extremely well for the Gocco Printer. How's that for a recommendation? Now where to buy it - The last purchases I made (several years ago) was in a small calligraphy shop on Grant Street in San Francisco's Chinatown - name unknown, sorry. I have seen it in some catalogs, but not recently - perhaps Dick Blick or some smaller catalogs? The last I bought was a 360 ml yellow bottle , but unfortunately I'm not conversant in Japanese which is the label on the front - a rectangular shaped yellow plastic bottle - the only English printed on the label, "Kaimei Carbon Ink, made in Japan". If you find it, be sure to buy it, if you look for it - keep looking til you do find it...very well worth the effort. I'm sure it's available in the U.S.-somewhere.

Offline penstaff

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2015, 12:02:07 AM »
to all: to my knowledge there is only one type of Kaimei ink available, but in several sizes. Sorry, i'm not familiar with JetPens.com, but it will be worth a try.

Offline penstaff

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2015, 12:11:06 AM »
GOOD NEWS! Found an old bottle of Kaimei Ink with the company name and address and phone:
Chew Chong Tai and Co.
905 Grant Avenue
P.O. Box 2505
San Francisco, CA 94126
call: 415-982-3479

Failed to add that it is an intense black ink that is not watered down.

Offline Matthew_R

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2015, 02:38:33 AM »

Offline Milonguera

• View Profile
    • Instagram,  My blog
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2015, 09:44:36 AM »
Thanks for the detailed info, Harvey.  And I agree with BlotBot--oh great.  Another ink to try.   ??? 
Debbie

Offline penstaff

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2015, 11:26:12 PM »
Thanks for the photo, Matthew_r. Yes, this is exactly the right stuff! Sorry, but hsven't figured out how to post a photo, but I'm working on it. This is the 360 ml bottle, but available in smaller sizes also. And according to the info sent with the pic it's available from Amazon.co.UK.
Thanks, Matt
Do you like it as mauch as I do?

Offline Matthew_R

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2015, 12:52:29 AM »
Thanks for the photo, Matthew_r. Yes, this is exactly the right stuff! Sorry, but hsven't figured out how to post a photo, but I'm working on it. This is the 360 ml bottle, but available in smaller sizes also. And according to the info sent with the pic it's available from Amazon.co.UK.
Thanks, Matt
Do you like it as mauch as I do?

I haven't tried it.  How do the hairlines compare with those of, say, iron gall or Moon Palace sumi?

Offline penstaff

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2015, 08:23:50 AM »
reply to Matthew_R: All I can tell you is that you're going to like it! To my personal "taste" I think it's the best on the market without exception to all other brands. And did you know it take brush very well also? Makes no difference to which paper you use, it still does a remarkable job.
Harvey(penstaff)

Offline penstaff

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2015, 03:30:58 PM »
The name "India Ink" does not apply to the Kaimei. It is a carbon based ink without shellac

Offline Moya

• Super Hero Member
  • all your gold are belong to me
    • View Profile
    • Calligraphy by Moya
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2015, 08:15:00 PM »
My housemate speaks Japanese - I've put her on the case to see if she can get a bottle of it shipped to Australia for me ... ;)  If she has any good tips I'll pass them on!