Author Topic: A signature … It's hard  (Read 1076 times)

Offline jva

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
A signature … It's hard
« on: October 11, 2014, 05:40:19 PM »
Hello.
I'm a new guy who lives in France. I'm starting to get interested in Spencerian, Busines Penmanship and Flourishing.
After my days devoted to pediatric anesthesia, I like to take time with paper, pen and ink.
I am fascinated by the signatures found in the manuals of Spencerian.
In recent months, I try to find my own, but it's difficult.
I hesitated a lot, but now I need some advice because I can not move forward. I know that lowercase letters are not regular here, but this is not what actually bothering me because I get it when I take my time. My name is JV Aubineau. I wanted to know if you found it harmonious. I have great difficulty in finding a good end for the letter V. If you have good ideas,  I would take them gladly.
Thank you very much and excuse my bad English  ::) .

« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 05:41:57 PM by jva »

Offline AndyT

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
Re: A signature … It's hard
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2014, 06:51:38 PM »
Greetings, JV Aubineau, welcome to the forum.  :)

A few observations:
- I like the thinking behind the three horizontal ovals, but this idea might work better if they were not all the same size.
- There is a possibility here for starting in the middle with the A which might work out nicely - the lower JVD example below suggests how this might be arranged.
- One nice finish for a V (or W) is to wrap the tail round into a huge oval.  That way you could perhaps loop it over the top of the A and right back underneath to start the lead in for the J.  This will take some serious whole arm movement skills!

Whenever I see a nice signature combination I take a photo or screenshot and add it to a bulging folder of examples.  (Strange how often CPZ and PZB turn up ...)  ;)  It's a fascinating aspect of Ornamental Penmanship, and very demanding in terms of design as well as execution.  No doubt the stories about Madarasz and Courtney just swinging these things off are true, but for ordinary mortals coming up with a really good one will probably take hundreds of sketches of dozens of variations.  I don't have the technique to attempt these, and probably never will - so I admire your dedication in pursuing this.

I don't have a JVA, but these JVDs by Courtney and a JWB by Bloser might give you some alternative ideas to play about with.

Offline jva

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2014, 05:10:06 AM »
Thank you very much for the advice. I will continue my efforts!

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2014, 08:13:54 PM »
Welcome JV! Andy has given great advice.

I like what you have already and I like the extended tail on the end of the V. However, I would try to have the end loop come down instead of going up. This would lead your eye into the design.

I looked at your other designs. Perhaps combining this one with the version where the u ends with a thick flourish up above and then the V could come around the end almost enclosing the signature.

Great variations so far.  :)
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram