Author Topic: Spence-share-ian  (Read 458 times)

Offline Zivio

• Foment Compassion, Practice Peace
    • View Profile
Spence-share-ian
« on: August 30, 2023, 08:09:31 PM »
Ever since joining this forum, I’ve been reluctant to share much of my own writing, but seeing others' work of every level of ability has always been enjoyable and instructive for me.  So here’s a sample of a letter written earlier this year.

A FF member suggested that white ink on dark paper can magically make things look better – I agree!  Using that Dr. Ph. Martin’s Bleed Proof White™ felt a lot like writing with a popsicle stick and kindergarten paste, but it is a dramatic effect.

My goal in learning this script has always been to use it for everyday handwriting/correspondence – I have no calligraphic aspirations, per se.  I’ve limited myself to arm/”muscular” movement only, in order to outwit sixty years of muscle memory, cramped grip and illegible writing. The strategy has worked, to a point, but I find I’m still lacking a fluency of movement, so last week I began using Zaner’s “The Arm Movement Method of Rapid Writing” which prescribes some really fast movements in its drills, and describes required speed in terms of downstrokes and letters per minute. 

Already, putting serious time into the drills and pushing the rhythms has uncovered new ways of lightening my grip and of balancing the weight and pressure of the arm and pen that I’m hopeful will begin to get me closer to my goals.

« Last Edit: August 30, 2023, 08:15:59 PM by Zivio »
Foment Compassion, Practice Peace

Offline Despoina

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
Re: Spence-share-ian
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2023, 02:25:38 AM »
What a great work! You should definitely share more of it! :D Have you tried to take any -advanced- spencerian class, in order to help you with the movement? You may hear some good tips/tricks on that  :)

Offline Gary

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2023, 06:42:23 AM »
If I ever received a letter like that, I would be delighted !
You're an inspiration. Keep going!

Gary

Offline Erica McPhee

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member
  • Be brave. Love life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2023, 03:31:22 PM »
What a beautiful specimen of writing Karl! Well done! And many thanks for sharing your eye candy with us!  :-*
Warm Regards,
Erica
Lettering & Design Artist
Flourish Forum Shop
Instagram

Offline Starlee

• Super Hero Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2023, 06:54:22 PM »
You were hesitant to share your work when it looks this lovely?! I am happy you did! Very nice work!
Star

Offline Cyril Jayant

• View Profile
    • https://twitter.com/jaycyril
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2023, 06:18:11 PM »

@Zivio    very nice  work and.... big  wow . It is outstanding work and anyone can do it.
The main thing is we have to scarifies and have a goal and celebrate it very moment of it's progress... Which we don't do.   I am just talking but I am also in your position. It is good to come out of the shell so we feel more and more confident.
Congrats  on your success and I am happy for your moving forward.

Soon we are waiting to see your self designed  diploma on penmanship published on our forum here. That's how we do in the penmanship  world. :D

Offline Vintage_BE

• Freshman Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2023, 08:09:13 AM »
@Zivio I understand Zaner’s (and many others’) argument that “fast movement” leads to/enhances fluency. I have spent many hours trying that method. And then I took a basic Copperplate course; because every downstroke in Copperplate requires pressure, that script is automatically written at a relatively slow pace. The slow pace prompted me to pay more attention to the correct execution of each stroke. I then slowed down my tempo in Spencerian… and discovered that this helped to improve the shape of the letters. When writing Spencerian now, my pace is still faster than when writing Copperplate, but not by much; in fact, I try to slow down to a pace that (I think) still results in “fluent” writing but that also allows me to better concentrate on letter shape, slant and spacing. Just my two (euro) cents…